Start by marking “Accelerando” as Want to Read:
Accelerando
Open Preview read book

Accelerando

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  11,159 ratings  ·  666 reviews
The Singularity. It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Struggling to survive and thrive in this a
Published June 27th 2006 by Ace (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Accelerando, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accelerando

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsAnathem by Neal StephensonAltered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Best Science Fiction of the 21st Century
31st out of 318 books — 2,937 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
270th out of 4,365 books — 15,876 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
OK, let's start with the fact that the book jacket compared Charles Stross's writing with William Gibson and Neal Stephenson at their best.

As a reader who has a serious crush on Stephenson's writing, I instantly had an expectation was set up in my mind, as you can imagine.

However, this novel was thoroughly disappointing. I like hard SF and cyberpunk that explores social mores and the impacts of technology and science upon society. And can do so with humor (or irony). The science was so outlandis
Adam
Acclerando is Stross’s most frustrating, annoying, idea-packed, difficult, dense, and arguably best novel. Can feel like taking a crash course in astro-physics, computer science, economics, sociology, while reading a dozen blogs, Bruce Sterling’s “Deep Eddy Stories” and Shismatrix , and cliff notes of science fiction’s back pages. But once you get over the buzz of the overload it is a hauntingly odd story of a dysfunctional family in a world of increasingly weird technology and its implications. ...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Morgan
Many people recommended this highly to me. I found that the plot and ideas, as summarized on Wikipedia, were brilliant and mind-expanding.

The writing of the book was intolerable. I couldn't get past page 20. It was like reading Wired Magazine--Stross drops every current technology name and buzzword, apparently without a deep enough understanding to know which might have staying power 15 minutes into the future. When "slashdot", "open source", "bluetooth", "wimax", "state vector" and more terms
Apatt
I finally understand why Charles Stross is so popular even though I often find his fiction borderline unreadable. I think he writes for a tech savvy readership and they love him for it. It's great when an author gives you credit for intelligence and understanding and never talk down to you. However, while I know my way around Windows and Android phones I don't consider myself tech savvy, certainly my understanding of programming is minimal. A lot of what Stross puts in his fiction goes right ove ...more
Robert
This book starts off with a headache inducing deluge of acronyms and technogadgetideas, some of which are well known realities now. It's something that might be familiar to readers of some other Stross books, for instance the ones set in a near future Scotland e.g. Halting State. A geek-guru makes a living from freebies given by grateful companies he puts in touch with other grateful companies in order to realise whatever mad idea he's come up with next.

The future overtakes even him, though, and
Rob
Feb 25, 2009 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: accelerationistas!
I tried reading the PDF (found at [http://www.accelerando.org/]) of this last year and didn't get very far. However, once I held the book in my hands, I seemed to fly through it. At first.

Stross seems to share some of the literary memenome as Stephenson and Doctorow. The prose style (especially early on in the text) felt a bit like Snow Crash ; those vivid bits of lurid ephemera, that nearly comic book pacing, every tawdry details competing for your attention right alongside the critical core. A
Rob
Can Hype Machines Think?

Stopped at p. 289. This book has been haunting me for months, and it isn't even that long. The idea of finishing it began to seem like a chore several weeks ago, and at some point I realized that at my steadily decelarating (ha!) reading pace it would haunt me for months more if I didn't just stop.

This is clearly supposed to be a fun, bubbly, readable book. What turned it into such an albatross?

I guess the problem is a fundamental difference between my worldview and the w
Richard
May 30, 2014 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Singularitarians and geek-positive futuristas
Recommended to Richard by: Scott Jackisch
A 3 1/2 star book, downgraded to three because Stross ultimately doesn’t deliver much more than a caffeinated theme park ride of the singularity.

I doubt that Accelerando will ever be seen in quite the same way as the early cyberpunk books, but it is certainly similar in its hyperkinetic and chaotic creativity. Stross tosses in a billion and one tasty tidbits of near-future circum-singularity and presses the “Will it Blend?” button.

And, as one would predict, the result is a very intriguing if chu
Tim
In the future, all of Europe will speak English as if they were plucked straight from an episode of 'Allo 'Allo. The French are addicted to "mais oui". The Germans can't without basic errors of grammar related to their own language structure talk. And Russian cannot use definite or indefinite article or plural. Even AI. Hallo. My name Boris. It's like Stross had never met a real foreigner before writing Accelerando.

But aside from the grating dialog Stross paints a wonderful picture of a world st
Lightreads
Hard SF. Three generations of an entrepreneurial family invent and scheme and survive the singularity, the point where artificial intelligence power bypasses old-fashioned organic brains, and humans first augment themselves, then disassemble the planets to build a solar-system wide computer and become something else entirely.

What a disappointment. I can forgive unapproachable characters in hard SF, and frequently have. I tried hard to cut some slack, because the point of the book is the screamin
John
This book will short circuit your geek meter: a kind of epic chronicling three generations of a pretty messed up family through humanity's advance from a near future not too much unlike our own to a totally post-human universe. Although I found the story and characters to be a little wanting at times, these elements often felt like mannequins anyway, putting human form on the tsunami of ideas Stross lays out. If that doesn't sound fascinating to you, this ain't the book for you - I think I added ...more
Tama Wise
Not a good sign of things really. I was doing so well at sticking to books when I didn't work in a library. Now that I do, I see so many other interesting books.

Finishing this book was hampered in a great part by the language of this book. I'd consider this a 'modern cyberpunk', in that it takes into account things like wireless network and the like. However, the story and characters were so buried in technobable and politico-socio speak that for the most part I was lost in skimming.

The same sor
Traci Loudin
Full of interesting ideas, but no satisfying conclusion. Although to be fair, I'm not sure how he could have satisfactorily ended it after the mind-expansion of the first half of the book. Unlike in something like Dune or Ender's Game, where the interjections provide context and depth of meaning, the boldfaced exposition in Accelerando seemed tedious and simply repeated what the previous chapter had already stated. The idea of augmenting our minds with add-ons (as the cell phone and computers ar ...more
Brainycat
Jul 25, 2010 Brainycat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of hard SciFi and multiple/concurrent realities
This book is fantastic hard SciFi in the emergent post-human genre. From what I can gather, this book has done for post-humanism what Neuromancer did for cyberpunk. It's a touch dry in some places and the characters are a bit clunky, but I feel Charles is most interested in describing the "singularity" rather than telling a traditional story.

Post-humanist writing is obsessed with the concept of "singularity" - a point at which the old ways of doing things (relying on grey matter and the associat
Gar
Brian
Jan 25, 2011 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all SF fans
Shelves: ebook
The first third of this book is a five star white knuckle fall off the cliff ever accerating drop into the singularity. It's fascinating, breathtaking, horrifying, belivable and plausible. You're never quite sure what's coming, and you never catch your breath, but you're never completely lost either.

I distinctly remember thinking 'I have no idea how the heck he can keep this up for the whole book', and the answer unfortunately is that he doesn't.

Once you hit the second generation (loosely speaki
Gary Ballard
Charles Stross is more intelligent than me.

His intelligence oozes through the book on every page, but unfortunately intelligence is not the only quality needed to make a book entertaining. I won't rehash the plot as it's available above. Suffice it to say that this is Stross' concept of humanity's movements from a post-cyberpunk, connected reality through transhumanism into post-humanism, and our stumbling attempts to connect with alien intelligences as well as deal with the increasing hostilit
Stantontas
Jun 17, 2009 Stantontas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wired magazine readers, twitterers, SF fans
I'm ambivalent about this. Considered as SF, it's very good. Lots of ideas, pageturner, humour.

But I think I just don't care about hard SF any more. Even the best of it (which I'd class this as) feels like riffs on ideas that are floating around the internet and lacks emotional depth. Post-humans don't interest me, especially if they only vaguely interested me as humans. I find PKD's suburban ennui more convincing and engaging than Wired-magazine handwaving about future shock and all that.

This b
Susan
If I were to outline the plot of this novel, it would look like the most brilliant epic on the the Singularity that has ever been written. And, damn it, that's exactly what it should have been. This is my second book by Charles Stross, and I am concluding that his strong points are quippy prose and great ideas, and his weakness is story.

He may have shot himself down by his raw audacity. This is supposed to be a novel about the Singularity as it is happening. For those of you less into science fi
Jordi Balcells
Hace años leí Neuromante, de William Gibson. Fue mi primera novela cyberpunk y no entendí nada. Luego llegó Johnny Mnemonic, Matrix y ya empecé a relacionar cosas.

Ahora acabo de terminar, tras mucho sufrimiento, una novela que va más allá del cyberpunk, una novela que habla de la singularidad, el momento en el que se despierta una Inteligencia Artificual, a lo Skynet.

Durante gran parte de la novela no entendía nada, e incluso me tuve que buscar un "Accelerando Technical Companion" en la Wikipedi
David
I'd give this 3.5 stars if GR allowed half stars. There were parts of this book that were brilliant, and parts that were intensely annoying. This is the first book I've read by Charles Stross, and I'm frankly unsure whether I'll dive into another Stross novel any time soon. I liked the overall plot and the ideas; human civilization evolving towards a Singularity, and what happens to the posthuman offspring. But the story leaps about erratically, sometimes skipping years or decades and light year ...more
Ben Babcock
We’ve just entered the tail end of 2013, fast approaching the middle of decade the second of the twenty-first century. Few of the changes Charles Stross lays out in this book have come to pass, which isn’t surprising. Many of them are still possible within our lifetime, though, which is interesting.

I’ve felt rather burnt out when it comes to posthuman SF ever since my last foray into the subgenre. Postsingular just left me feeling quite cynical about the potential for such stories. I had an epip
Kathleen
Anyone who knows me knows that the subject of the Singularity is like crack to me. Can't get enough of it. So a story about what happens when artificial intelligence surpasses the limits of human intellect grabs and holds my attention. The plot follows three generations of a family that somehow manage to be on the cutting edge of the evolving technologies, and are varying degrees of adept at surviving and prospering in the hyperaccelerated evolution of computational abilities. And there's intell ...more
Michael Johnson
After I finished the book I spent the next few days immersed in Wikipedia reading up on the theories it accentuated. I wanted to see how the book did after reading them, see if anything became somehow less after I understood the basics of the theories, such as Moore's Law, the Singularity, et-cetera.

It was an excellent adventure into the possible future we face, and brilliantly done. However, I personally did not care for any of the characters the story followed except that of the first, Manfre
Megan Baxter
I am trying so hard, but I still haven't read a Charles Stross I like as much as I like his twitter feed, and that makes me frustrated. I want to fall in love with his books! This gets closer than the two I've previously read, but not quite there. It's a good book, but I'm still a little on the fence.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entir
Althea Ann
"From the book itself:

"An old-fashioned book, covering 3 generations, living through interesting times... A work of postmodern history, the incoherent school at that - how do you document people who fork their identities at random, spend years dead before reappearing on the stage, and have arguments with their own relativistically preserved other copy? ... I thought that perhaps as a narrative hook I'd make the offstage viewpoint that of the family's robot cat."

Yep. That about sums it up.
(That q
John Carter McKnight
I'd tried repeatedly over a decade to get into Accelerando, but failed. I've read, I think, everything else of Stross's, and enjoyed most of it somewhere between a lot and OMG.

What kept putting me off was the feel of the first arc, which is perhaps a too-finely-done parody of transhumanist gee-whizzery for my fairly literal mind.

This time, I pushed on, and - there are more brilliant ideas and turns of phrase in this book than in any given 100 I've read in the past decade. It is just unadultera
Jacobo
He terminado este libro con la sensación de que me han expandido la mente a la fuerza. Esta novela es pura genialidad, y la calidad mejora exponencialmente con cada nuevo capítulo. Eso sí, si no sabes mucho de informática será un reto extra. Qué bueno es y qué ganas de que hubiera más.
Morgan
OMFG! If I were to be a writer and condense what I've read in computer science, history, scifi, etc. and add to that what has been topics of discussion the past 4 years in the podcasts / videocasts I follow, then it would all output in a volume like Accelerando. Charles Stross doesn't push the envelope, but instead defines the envelope's margins. This is the brink or cusp we are on technologically and how it will define us socially and biologically. And that's just the first 100 pages.
  • Diaspora
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Rainbows End
  • Holy Fire
  • River of Gods (India 2047, #1)
  • The Golden Age (Golden Age #1)
  • Blindsight
  • Postsingular
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF
More about Charles Stross...
The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1) Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1) Halting State Glasshouse The Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files, #2)

“Humans are just barely intelligent tool users; Darwinian evolutionary selection stopped when language and tool use converged, leaving the average hairy meme carrier sadly deficient in smarts.” 9 likes
“To boldly go where no uploaded metahuman colony has gone before' has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?” 7 likes