Start by marking “Burden” as Want to Read:
Burden

Burden

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  567 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
There’s more than one way to guard a body.

In the year since his car flew off a cliff, Detective Brennan McGuire has struggled to relearn the simplest tasks—like speaking without a stutter—and even more with trying to fill the gaping holes in his memory.

But when his daily visit to a local coffee shop turns into a melee of flying bullets, Brennan’s instincts take control.

So
Published July 30th 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Burden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burden

Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxNot So Innocent by Dani AlexanderLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Boy with the Painful Tattoo by Josh LanyonWinter Kill by Josh Lanyon
Can't Wait M/M Romance of 2013
113th out of 192 books — 638 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
363rd out of 676 books — 1,674 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy*reads obsessively*
I am a little upset with this story, because honestly it could have been really good and have left a major impression on me, but it didn't.
Now, it wasn't bad, not at all, but it was sort of full of potential, but the length and execution didn't let it meet that potential.
Brennan had a horrible car accident and is struggling to recover as much of himself and autonomy as he can, he's not there yet, not by a long shot.
I loved him and I didn't get nearly enough of him, his feelings and issues as I
Heller
Aug 03, 2013 Heller rated it it was ok
2.5

The elements were here for a cracktastic little story but Keegan was a bit of dick and it took me a bit too warm up to him and the instalove really killed it for me. I get that size constraints may have really compressed things but the villain was transparent except who was (view spoiler). Great blurb though but the story and characters just didn't hold me.
Kaje Harper
Sep 20, 2013 Kaje Harper added it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
I won this book from Jessewave. It shows a lot of initial promise, opening with an interesting situation, and two good MCs. Keegan is a detective, just surfacing from a long stint undercover. Brennan used to be a detective until a car crash caused brain injuries from which he is still struggling to recover. There is potential for an interesting relationship between these men, with real issues, and a workable mystery. Unfortunately both get short-circuited by the speedy (and strongly-physically d ...more
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
2.5

What a waste. This story had the barebones of a great story - You have an ex-cop with a brain injury, a suspense that has to do with the accident that caused said injury, betraying partners, a new love interest which is a charming as*hle, and instead of developing the characters and plot we got plain, overdone erotica.
Candice
3.5

Is it wrong to have wanted more of a story involving the attack kittens? I liked the story and the first half of the book was good, but with the book being short, I just felt that everything just was too rushed. I really would have liked to learn more about Brennan or even an epilogue that would show how his recovery went. I really enjoyed his character and would have loved more about him. I didn't mind Keegan and I think if we had gotten to know him more in the story, my feelings for him wou
Elizabetta

For over a year, Brennan McGuire has been undergoing the overwhelming burden of recuperating from near-death in a horrific car accident. He’s fought his way back to full mobility and cognitive ability, although still speaking with a stutter, but he still suffers from gross memory loss and feeling vulnerable and useless. He may never get his memory back, can’t return to his job as an IA cop, and sometimes he wishes he had just died in the wreckage.

But then his path crosses with Keegan Mo
Madonna196
Aug 08, 2013 Madonna196 rated it liked it
This novella had such potential. I enjoyed all the characters - Brennan was heartbreaking. The problem is the story was much much too short. There was a great premise here, an opportunity to explore the characters, including the friendship between Keegan and his cop partner whose few scenes made me smile. The writer has a clever wit and I'd love to read something of more substance by her.

Insta-love or insta-attraction always feels too convenient to me. I prefer characters to get know each other
Candice
Jul 30, 2013 Candice rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, m-m
2.5 Stars

I took a chance and got this even though I said I was going to pass on it. It was cheap, so what the hell...

This story had SO MUCH potential, but it just fell flat. Too rushed? I wanted to know both Brennan and Keegan's back stories. I wanted more with Keegan and his (work) partner. I did think that Keegan was arrogant, but I thought it worked for him. However, I thought he could have been a little more useful during Brennan's flashbacks (you know, being a cop and all).

Best conversation
Kazza
Jun 07, 2015 Kazza rated it really liked it
I bought this book without reading the premise - it was one of those books listed at the back of another book I'd just finished, and I thought I would read it while working on a book. In all honesty, I didn't expect much, but Burden was a delight to read. Was it some great literary piece? No. Was it unique? Not particularly. But the characters really sucked me in. Brennan was so sweet. Keegan a nice alpha-type male who made sure they connected.

Brennan has cats. His therapist recommended he get s
Tami (synchro from BL)
Dec 28, 2013 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it did not like it
Insta-love and a bad crime plot...and "Throby" makes an appearance...

This was not a very good read for me.

I loathe insta-love. It just doesn't make for good stories in 9 out of 10 stories. There are very few authors who can pull it off, and write an interesting, gripping story.
There was lusting after each other at first glance, and also much disliked the c*cks did a lot of throbbing.

The "crime" plot (I should put the word "plot" in quotation marks too...) was unnecessary and sloppily done.

I d
LaShonta
Aug 08, 2013 LaShonta rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-lawful, mm-mystery
First let me start by saying I hate when I read a book and you don't get 100% instead it ends at 89% or something like that.

On to the book. This should've been longer. The whole thing took place in 2 days which made most of it unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. I just had to suspend belief to do so.

What ticked me off the most, this story doesn't have an ending. You get to them in the hospital after the shooting, they talk then boom "the end". I was like WTF? Too many loose ends not
Jen
Jul 25, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: mckenna
Keegan and Brennan

I liked this one. I like how protective Keegan is. The bad guy was very obvious but that's ok. I think these two would make a great series. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Janna
Aug 16, 2013 Janna rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
The premise is interesting and i liked various elements in this story (the fact one of the heroes is struggling with his recovery after a severe head injury, the kittens, the suspense/mystery), except that the execution of it all felt rather rushed and didn't quite live up to its promise. The romantic arc fell a bit flat for me thanks to a bad case of insta-love and lack of tension. This could've been a great read when it would've been longer, now it's just an okay read.
Phaney
Jan 02, 2014 Phaney rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
Oh yes. The romance/sex aspect of this story is on steroids, but if you can roll with that it might be truly enjoyable.

Dialogue and narrative are snappy and flow well. Plus this thing is funny. The Bobs. Heh.

Off the bat I loved the brain damage aspect of the story.
I wasn’t quite as enthusiastic about how oversexed the protagonists’ interactions played out. Attraction is one thing but for a while here it felt as though every moment needed to be punctuated by a nether twitch or two and the urge to
Sunne
Nov 18, 2013 Sunne rated it it was ok
Mary
Aug 01, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Nice satisfying read. Liked the characters, particularly the Bobs (Keegan's nicknames for them really made me laugh)-though they didn't get enough screen time. A case of insta-love between the MCs but still felt believable, the chemistry is there. As for the danger they find themselves in, I got an idea who was involved pretty quickly yet that didn't diminish my interest in the story. Would've liked Brennan's case fleshed out a little more as well as the other players implicated but overall I wa ...more
Kristie
Aug 30, 2013 Kristie rated it liked it
Another good story that ends abruptly. The answers to all the questions are wrapped up a bittoo easily, but the characters are really likeable. Particularly Brennen...he's so sweet, but with a edge underneath that when unleashed, could be quite powerful. Keegan is wonderfully gruff and a total softy at the same time. Would have liked to see more from the ending, and more about where thy are now... Needed an epilogue. I liked it well enough.
ARe Cafe
Jan 29, 2014 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: vals-picks
Burden is a fun crime thriller that is a bit too short to fulfill the considerable potential hinted at by its beginning. Even so, it is a fast-paced and sexy read, and should please the many fans of her earlier gay romance thriller Court Appointed. Brennan is a stand-out character – a vulnerable yet tough cop struggling to overcome traumatic brain damage from a mysterious accident that happened before the story beginning. His immediate attraction to arrogant cop Keegan veers close to insta-love, ...more
Arzu
Aug 09, 2013 Arzu rated it it was ok
This book had so much potential, but this was just not worth the time.

I wanted to know more about both MCs, the dirty cops, Keegan's partner, Brennan's health, ... but the book was just too short and had too many loose ends, too many unanswered questions, felt hurried.

I mean I liked it, but could have been great, if it would have been a full lenght book, but not this short read.
Susan
Jul 31, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
It's more 4.5 stars then 5

This book was shorter then I like but that's okay because it was a good read. No it wasn't deep it was fairly light but I liked the characters and the premise.

Why I rated it so high was simply because I couldn't put it down and wanted more. I will be checking out more from this author soon!

Jilrene ♥
Easy and fun read. Probably closer to 3.5 stars, but I'll leave the review at 4 stars for now. I really liked the two MCs. For a short story, they are very real. The writing captured me right away. I'm going to see what else this author has written.
Apr 22, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-male-male
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this story but wished it was longer. Definitely insta-love which is not my favorite, but I still liked the story.
~RMG
Jul 30, 2013 ~RMG rated it it was ok
2.5 stars - The story could've been better, yes, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
Elspeth
This wasn't bad but the in luuurve in less than 24 hours was a bit ridiculous.
Amy
Jul 31, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: own-them
This definitely needs a sequel!!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)

I love this setup. I love Brennan and his disability. It's unusual and it feels real to me. They've also explained the beginnings of a migraine really well.

They want to jump each other a little too quickly like shifter/mate quickly and they get started with the copious amount of sex almost right away.

The mystery isn't complicated. I figured it out almost immediately as it wasn't very original. I would have liked to see the mystery more fleshed out, seen some investigating.

Keegan's forc
Alisa
One year ago Brennan McGuire was a busy cop in the middle of an investigation. After a tragic car accident he wakes up with few memories and he has lost the ability to do even the simplist of every day functions. Brennan then embarks on a long journey to relearn life's tasks.

Keegan Monroe is also a police officer and has just come off a long undercover assignment. He has definately made some enemies along the way. One day as he sits in a local coffee house he notices a good looking man come in.
Sadonna
Mar 22, 2015 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, mystery, cops, contemporary
2.5 stars. Full review can be found at at The Armchair Reader

This site is down. Here's the review.

The blurb for this story pretty much tells it all and gives away the twist to the plot. Brennan has suffered a traumatic brain injury as the result of a car accident that he can’t remember. He was a police officer before the injury, but now he can barely order a drink and pay for it at the local coffee shop. While on his daily therapy exercise, he spies a shooter and lunges at the hot guy he thinks
Becky Condit
Sep 26, 2013 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
Please leave comments on KymD's 5 sweet pea and Recommended Book review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

“Ah, noooo.” Keegan's wail from the living room made Brennan smile. He figured sh**head number one had just attacked some bare toes. “Damn it, Bren. Get 'em off me.”
“Why are you so afraid of m-my kitties?”
“Those are not kitties. Those are man-eating lions.”

Burden by AnnMarie McKenna is more than a 5 Sweet Pea book! I absolutely loved Keegan and Brennan!

Brennan McGuire was almost ki
Moira
I liked this story right up till the end. It's a story about Brennan, who was in an accident and lost most his memories from a brain injury, who saves Keegan who he believes is the target of a shooter. From there it's all about the mystery of who is after them and their relationship. There was a nice mixture of mystery and humor. The 4 Bobs were brilliant.

It had a lot of potential but just didn't really live up to it for me. Maybe if there was an ending I might have liked it more. I got to about
  • Every Move He Makes
  • Fall Hard
  • Secrets and Ink (Secrets, #1)
  • Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • Two Silent Cries
  • Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • Touching Evil
  • Undercover Sins (Secret Sins #1)
  • The Star Man
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Where There's Smoke
  • Holed Up (Up to Trouble, #1)
  • Cards on the Table
  • Snowcroft Lost (Snowcroft Men, #1)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • In Hot Pursuit
  • Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)
  • Max and the Prince (Bodyguards Inc. #3)
Annmarie McKenna lives with her husband and five kids in the Midwest. Throw in a dog and a cat and she’s well over her limit for the average family. Luckily, writing fantasies has proven to be an excellent way to de-stress from her daily life of being a cleaning woman, chauffeur, cook and mom. Okay, cleaning woman—not so much. She leaves that to her hubby. Now if only she could figure out how to d ...more
More about Annmarie McKenna...