Start by marking “The House in Wales” as Want to Read:
The House in Wales

The House in Wales

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From the flames of Man, straight to the flames of Hell.

Recently orphaned by the bombing of Liverpool at the start of World War Two, Danny Kelly is evacuated to the relative safety of Colwyn Bay, unaware of the evil that awaits him there.

Once there, he is cast into the oppressive realm of Satan and his acolytes, a world of escalating human sacrifice and voracious desires, l
Published March 27th 2013 by Taylor Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The House in Wales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House in Wales

C.W. Lovatt
When I first started reading this story, I thought it might be Y/A, given the age of the protagonist, and I was envisioning a sort of Welsh version of the Hardy Boys with a harmless ghost or two thrown in for flavour. A few pages in and I changed my mind, or rather, had it changed for me. It’s about as far from Y/A as you can get, and yet, in a way, it reads like a young adult book – a sort of kids vs grownups, with all the societal challenges that youth have always had to face when dealing with ...more
Poppet
The House in Wales is quite a sordid read. When you start it the premise feels familiar - the orphan being abused like Cinderella was by her awful step-mum, but quickly the seemingly adolescent novel turns adult.

There's a scene in the bath tub (I don't want to spell it out and ruin the read for you) that literally had me cringing for poor old Danny. Danny is so likable, but nothing - and I do mean nothing, is going his way. He's in a house with horrid people who treat him very poorly, and at nig
Monique

Danny Kelly was sent to Wales an orphan having just lost his mother. Taken in by the local reverend and his creepy housekeeper he had no idea what was in store for him, his wildest imagination could not prepare him for the events about to unfold .I love tales of the supernatural and this book was an fantastic read.From the beginning I was intrigued,I sat transfixed, not wanting to put the book down.When I tell you Richard Rhys Jones knows how to deliver an amazing piece of literature,you must be
Victoria
A solid book with interesting characters, a novel setting and a nice sprinkling of menace, shock and gore.
Grw
This is a great mixture of solid ghost story, mixed in with a 1970's occult horror book, all set in both an unusual history time period, for either genre.

At first the book comes across like a somewhat standard war time evacuee tale even though at seventeen the hero Daniel would seem somewhat old to be the sort of schoolboy he is depicted as, yet as he's recently orphaned perhaps that would have happened.

However things soon change as we move into ghost territory once he arrives at "The House in
Paddy
I very exciting occult based horror story set during WW2. Danny has just lost his mother in a bombing raid on his home town of Liverpool. Although he's just old enough to enlist He's been told no because of the grief he's suffering from the death of his mother and only parent. So he is evacuated to Colwyn Bay in Wales and taken in by a local vicar who lives with his house keeper in "The House in Wales". Things are very unpleasant for Danny and confusing, just trying to please these two people an ...more
Andrew
It’s World War II and Danny Kelly is one of the many children and teens evacuated from big cities to escape the German bombs. As he leaves Liverpool and arrives in North Wales, he finds himself in the care of Reverend Gwynfor Davies and the stern house keeper, Miss Trimble. They live in a dilapidated house on the grounds of an abandoned church. It’s clear from the start that his guardians are not at all what they appear to be.

The setting is really great. I haven’t read too many historical horror
Evelinn Enoksen
With the death of his mother and the Second World War raging; Danny Kelly, a young man from Liverpool, is sent to live with the Reverend, Miss Trimble and her dog Astaroth in a house in Old Colwyn in Wales. Right away everyone in the house seems to have a hatred and animosity towards Danny for no apparent reason.

Strange things happen in the house and Danny finds peculiar writing scribbled on the inside walls of the closet in his room, he copies it down and tries to find a way to translate it. Af
PsypherPunk
In an era where many horror tales opt for the more psychological, is-this-real-or-are-they-crazy take it's quite refreshing to read something this explicit in its intentions. While part of me wants to complain that this leaves it feeling a tad unambitious, it does make things more focussed: namely, it gets down to making the reader shudder and go "ick" quite quickly. While the more we learn about events removes some of the book's creepiness and like all more overt horror, ends up being one step ...more
Martin Haynes
I read it. It was entertaining after a fashion, I couldn't truly recommend it.
John
Good solid ghost story with a bit of devil worshiping thrown in. In Wales.
Lee Ann Horner
Poor Danny, after thinking he is reasonably safe in the beautiful Wales countryside away from the raging war-the local young rowdys are the least of his worries.Playing on the insecurities of youth to explain how Danny could endure the initial horrors ,R.R.Jones keeps them coming till the end.
A good read for horror enthusiasts.
Caroline
"The House in Wales" is a very dark novel. Set during World War 2 it centers around the evacuation of young people to Wales, and one youth in particular. It is a tale of devil worship and sacrifice. It is disturbing in places. Definitely not for the faint-hearted.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Vilma
Vilma marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Latasha
Latasha marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Witchhusband
Witchhusband marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
The Division of the Damned The Division of the Damned The Fiddler's Soul The Chronicles of Supernatural Warfare: Volume 1 The Secrets of Castle Drakon (Thorstruck Anthology Book 1)