George Washington's War: The Forging of a Man, a Presidency and a Nation

George Washington's War: The Forging of a Man, a Presidency and a Nation

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The American Revolution was won not on the battlefields, but in the mind of George Washington. A compulsively readable narrative and extensive new history, George Washington's War illuminates how during the war's winter months the young general created a new model of leadership that would become the foundation of the new nation and the model for the American presidency.
Ba...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Sourcebooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington's War

Coleen Dailey
I very much enjoyed this book. At first I thought it would be about the battles and long reviews of battle strategies. Instead it turned out to be about things that happened during the war especially in the winter camps that forged ideas about how things in government should be done. What Washington had to do in those camps - deal with Congress, governors, soldiers, communities, foreign diplomats that gave him the basis to handle those jobs as president and to create long lasting precedents that...more
Mandy
An excellent book written by a well informed historian!

Katie
I read this book because I wanted to educate myself about the history of America, particularly the founding fathers. I was expecting it to be a history of the Revolutionary War. I was wrong, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Instead of recounting battles on the field, Chadwick analyzes battles off the field, especially during the hard winters of the Revolutionary War, and outlines how how Washington dealt with the challenges posed by starvation, exposure, epidemics, unfriendly civilians, a...more
Evan Sobel
I felt this was an informative book that gave a lot of insight behind a man up until this point and unfortunately did not know much about. It talked about some things about the Revolutionary War that I didn't know and I'm now looking forward to reading more about this crucial time in the history of this country.
Leeann Toone
I enjoyed reading this book. It had family history and personal information about George Washington. Instead of giving a battle by battle review of the war, Chadwick showed how specific experiences shaped George Washington as a General and our first President.
Dan
It's a great way to learn about the fascinating skills George Washington possessed. He was a very well-rounded leader, community builder, and motivator. The book describes his campaign through the Revolutionary Way in a very interesting manner, it's fun to read.
Brad
What a pathetic book! I have read two books by Bruce Chadwick, which is enough to last a lifetime. I have no idea how this moron got published. I would NEVER reccomend any of his books to anyone. They are not even worthy of toilet paper!
Peter
One of the better histories of Washington's role in the Revolutionary War. Convincingly argues that without Washington, we would very likely still be an English colony today. Absorbing read!
Richard
Gives interesting insight into the mind, habits, stategy and work ethic of the Commander and Chief George Washington during the eight years of the revolutionary war.
Lisa Collibee
Good book, some great facts...unecessarily repetetive, however.
Jen
Insights into leadership, democracy, and the Enlightenment
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 11, 2014
Joseph Pires
Joseph Pires marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Clay
Clay added it
Jun 15, 2014
Jerry Candrilli
Jerry Candrilli is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2014
Bigteedo83gmail.com
Bigteedo83gmail.com is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I Am Murdered: George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson, and the Killing That Shocked a New Nation 1858: Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant and the War They Failed to See The General and Mrs. Washington: The Untold Story of a Marriage & a Revolution The First American Army: The Untold Story of George Washington and the Men Behind America's First Fight for Freedom Triumvirate: The Story of the Unlikely Alliance That Saved the Constitution and United the Nation