Start by marking “George Washington's War: The Forging of a Man, a Presidency and a Nation” as Want to Read:
George Washington's War: The Forging of a Man, a Presidency and a Nation

George Washington's War: The Forging of a Man, a Presidency and a Nation

The American Revolution was won not on the battlefields, but in the mind of George Washington. A compulsively readable narrative and extensive new history, George Washington's War illuminates how during the war's winter months the young general created a new model of leadership that would become the foundation of the new nation and the model for the American presidency.
Ba
Published April 1st 2004 by Sourcebooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington's War

Coleen Dailey
Mar 03, 2012 Coleen Dailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this book. At first I thought it would be about the battles and long reviews of battle strategies. Instead it turned out to be about things that happened during the war especially in the winter camps that forged ideas about how things in government should be done. What Washington had to do in those camps - deal with Congress, governors, soldiers, communities, foreign diplomats that gave him the basis to handle those jobs as president and to create long lasting precedents that ...more
Mandy
Feb 20, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book written by a well informed historian!

Kannon Brockert-Kress
My favorite account of our nations first leader
Katie
Apr 06, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I wanted to educate myself about the history of America, particularly the founding fathers. I was expecting it to be a history of the Revolutionary War. I was wrong, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Instead of recounting battles on the field, Chadwick analyzes battles off the field, especially during the hard winters of the Revolutionary War, and outlines how how Washington dealt with the challenges posed by starvation, exposure, epidemics, unfriendly civilians, a ...more
Evan Sobel
Jan 06, 2011 Evan Sobel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this was an informative book that gave a lot of insight behind a man up until this point and unfortunately did not know much about. It talked about some things about the Revolutionary War that I didn't know and I'm now looking forward to reading more about this crucial time in the history of this country.
Brad
Nov 09, 2007 Brad rated it did not like it
What a pathetic book! I have read two books by Bruce Chadwick, which is enough to last a lifetime. I have no idea how this moron got published. I would NEVER reccomend any of his books to anyone. They are not even worthy of toilet paper!
Dan
Apr 12, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great way to learn about the fascinating skills George Washington possessed. He was a very well-rounded leader, community builder, and motivator. The book describes his campaign through the Revolutionary Way in a very interesting manner, it's fun to read.
Leeann Toone
Sep 21, 2010 Leeann Toone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It had family history and personal information about George Washington. Instead of giving a battle by battle review of the war, Chadwick showed how specific experiences shaped George Washington as a General and our first President.
Richard
Aug 03, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Gives interesting insight into the mind, habits, stategy and work ethic of the Commander and Chief George Washington during the eight years of the revolutionary war.
Peter
Jun 15, 2016 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
One of the better histories of Washington's role in the Revolutionary War. Convincingly argues that without Washington, we would very likely still be an English colony today. Absorbing read!
Daniel K. Reed
Daniel K. Reed rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Gordon Paisley
Gordon Paisley rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Borhsarchives
Borhsarchives rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Eric Bersch
Eric Bersch rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2012
Wojciech Cyprys
Wojciech Cyprys rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2016
Francesco D'iorio
Francesco D'iorio rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
kacy clough
kacy clough rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Randall Hart
Randall Hart rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Kristal Squire
Kristal Squire rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Kenneth C. Brasel
Kenneth C. Brasel rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Jerry Facendola
Jerry Facendola rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Ronald
Ronald rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2008
Richard Montagna
Richard Montagna rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Scott Mielke
Scott Mielke rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • George Washington
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Martha Washington: First Lady of Liberty
  • Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800
  • Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • Washington's Secret War: The Hidden History of Valley Forge
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America