Start by marking “Murder on the Orient Espresso (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Orient Espresso (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #8)

Murder on the Orient Espresso (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #8)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  34 reviews
It’s November and Maggy Thorsen, co-owner of the Wisconsin gourmet coffeehouse, Uncommon Grounds, is in South Florida at an annual crime-writers’ conference with her beau, local sheriff Jake Pavlik, who is due to speak as a ‘forensics expert’.

Maggy’s pledge to behave solely as a tourist becomes trickier than she anticipated when the conference’s opening night event turns o
Published December 1st 2013 by Severn House Publishers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Orient Espresso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Orient Espresso

Me Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Christmas Angel by Jane MaasInnocent Blood by James RollinsThe Housemaid's Daughter by Barbara MutchAdé by Rebecca Walker
New Books @ CCPL
21st out of 29 books — 8 voters
The Espressologist by Kristina SpringerRoastmaster by Janice LierzOn What Grounds by Cleo CoyleCoffeehouse Angel by Suzanne SelforsThe Coffee Girl by Shanna Hatfield
Coffee, Please...
6th out of 15 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)

Since I ended up loving this, sorry to say I didn't start with the beginning of the series and instead jumped in with book eight. There's obviously been some kind of romantic back story I missed out on with it's development; still, it was a smooth enough transition and it's not a series you have to read prior books to for it to work.

Maggy Thorsen and her boyfriend Jake Pavlik have gone to Florida for the sheriff to speak at a writer's conference. That conference is opening it's weekend
Karen Douglass
I stopped reading when the man-eating python stopped the train and the visiting sheriff went to the rescue with his Swiss Army knife.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Maggie and her boyfriend Jake Pavlik, Pavlik as Maggie likes to call him were off to Florida for a mystery writers conference. Maggie had visions of a passion filled weekend. That was until the busty Zoe showed up and had plans of her own for Jake. Zoe was not thrilled that Maggie and Jake were sharing more than a room together, but Zoe needed to get ready for the nights fun. Murder on the orient espresso, a Agatha Christie based murder train ride. On the bus ride to the train Maggie learned a l ...more
Maureen Murphree
On the front of this book is a quote from a review which states "This amusing well-written entry should win Balzo more fans". Well, not this reader.

I started this book with high hopes after reading the first couple of pages in the library. It appeared to offer the promise of witty dialogue from intriguing characters and a lively plot. But after a while it all became too much and heavy-handed.

The author's effort to emulate Christie by giving many characters the motive/opportunity to commit the cr
Deneé
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“‘Hey, gigantic reptiles that eat each other, an untested train track, and a storm raging toward us?’ I turned with my double-double, finishing over my shoulder with, ‘If that doesn’t spell fun, what does?’” (loc. 840)

A mystery among writers, Murder on the Orient Espresso takes place at a Mystery 101 writer’s convention in which a reenactment of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express is to take place. Things do not go as planned, and soon Maggy and her
Lisa
Sandra Balzo knows the cozy mystery genre well - she has written several books in the Maggie Thorsen series, in addition to recently starting a new series, and she just gets better with each book. The main characters are people you'd want to hang out with, the storylines are engaging and move at a brisk clip, and there's plent of humor throughout to keep readers entertained.

For anyone unfamiliar with the series, Maggie is the owner of a gourmet coffee bar. She met her current squeeze, one Sherif
YUK! Because this story took place away from the coffeehouse, much of the book was regulated to the introduction of new places + people--TOO MUCH! It took several times putting the book down and picking it back up [due to snow I had no other read and was forced to abandon or else] when I had FINALLY gotten thru 3/4 of the book, it took off. if the weather would have been different--I would have returned the book to the library! UNFINISHED
Wendy Dingwall
Not sure if it's because I grew up in the area and camped in the everglades when I was younger, or because I later lived for many years in the Ft. Lauderdale area where this book is set, but I loved it.

Balzo did a terrific job capturing the background as a tourist might discover the Everglades. The idea of the writer's conference and the half built train tracks running through the glades parallel to Alligator Alley was brilliant. It made the setting for this mystery every bit as good as Agatha
Candace Davidson
It was really awesome! There was a lot of edge of my seat moments!
Stacy
This latest installment in the Maggy Thorsen finds Maggy vacationing with her detective boyfriend, Jake, in the Everglades. He has been invited to speak at a mystery convention and she is tagging along. One of the first events is a train ride through the Everglades with a Murder on the Orient Express theme. Can I just say I would love to attend that event! Needless to say a real murder occurs during the trip prompting Maggy and Jake to try to discover who the murderer is. Loved the premise but f ...more
Annie
Murder on the Orient Espresso is not only a great title, but also an engaging train ride through the Florida Everglades. This eighth book in the Maggy Thorsen series is entertaining, funny, and a cleverly put together puzzle. I’ve read the entire series and from the first days of Uncommon Grounds, through Bean There, Done That, and after Triple Shot, Maggy and friends have been pure fun.

In book eight, Maggy and the oh-so-delicious Jake are off to the Everglades for a Crime Writers’ Conference w
I really wanted to like this book - I had entered the giveaway based on the blurb for the book (did not win), and put it on my too read list. Put it on my library list, and happily received the book.
That's where the happy ended. The plot starts out fine, Maggy and Jake are at a writers workshop where he is a featured speaker. Before the workshop, there's a train ride a la Murder on the Orient Express. And then bad things start to happen.
The bad thing for me was the plot became incomprehensible a
Krystle Kouture
Disclosure: Review is based on a free sample.

Enjoyability: 4/5

I really like mysteries and trains so this was a great pick. Even though it was a little slow I never felt bored.

Pace: 3/5

It was really slow to start out. Also, it ended really abruptly. I wish that the author had cut some of the beginning and added more of a solid conclusion.

Characters: 4.5/5
I really liked the main character, she was down to death and humorous. The other main characters also had a good deal of depth.

Complexity: 4/5

Wr
Sandra Stiles
I love Sandra Balzo’s stories. One, they are a great mystery, two they are full of humor. Maggy and her sheriff boyfriend are on their way from Wisconsin to Florida to a Writers’ conference. The sheriff is going to speak on forensics at the conference. They will then board a train headed towards the Everglades with an Agatha Christy reenactment on the Orient Express. Once again Maggie and Jake find themselves in the middle of a real mystery to be solved. They must figure out who the real murdere ...more
Rich Williams
A pleasant read and the title was clever but it wasn't much of a crime story. The murder and and solving it were almost an aside to Maggie's sex life and searching for a drink.
Susan
I'm too scared of snakes to give this mystery, set mostly on a stranded train in the Everglades and haunted by a murderer, more than three stars, but if you're not weirded out by the situation, you may feel differently. Maggie Thorsen and her boyfriend, sheriff Pavlick, are in Florida so he can speak at a mystery writers' convention. Some of the group takes a ride on which they're supposed to recreate Agatha Christie's famous mystery while drinking espresso martinis and eating cake. This conceit ...more
Lara Frater
Fun, but not one of her best as this takes place in Florida on a murder-mystery train instead of the coffee house in Wisconsin.
Teresa
The real mystery is how they could see the python and the details of the shoes in dark with no light.
Chi Dubinski
Life imitate art in Sandra Balzo's latest cozy. This time, there's less coffee and more crime. Maggy Thorsen, owner of Uncommon Grounds coffee shop in Wisconsin, is on a south Florida vacation at a writers' conference with her boyfriend, local sheriff Jake Pavlik, who is scheduled to speak at a forensics workshop. The conference's opening night event is a re-enactment of Agatha Christie's classic "Murder on the Orient Express." Maggy and Jake set off on the night train to the everglades and in n ...more
Ruth
This is where I need a 3.75. Loved the title and enjoyed the book!
PWRL
May 20, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
E
R.V.
Invasive pythons , atrain to nowhere and a reenactment of Cristie's Orient Express...... Fun read.
I loved the setting and the plot except for that STUPID snake part ruined it for me .........
Maryfrances
As always Sandra provides a great read! Didn't guess it this time. Thanks for the ride; lookijng forward to Maggy's next adventure!
Shirley
Murder on the Orient Espresso author Sandra Balzo has been compared to other illustrious mystery writers including Joan Hess and Janet Evanovich. Murder on the Orient Espresso is a new twist on an old classic which is fun and interesting and somewhat unexpected, snakes aside. I'd like to investigate her other mysteries which include Uncommon Grounds, Running on Empty and Dead Ends to name just a few.
Ellen
Fun and a quick read, Maggy and Pavlik are back in a mystery loosely mimicking the a Agatha Christie novel. A comic touch, as well as the atmosphere of the Florida Everglades, gives this installment appeal. On a mystery train during a murder mystery writers' conference, a nasty book reviewer is murdered. This whodunit was entertaining.
Jacque
Like the espresso martini served on the Orient Espresso, this story is fun and clever. This cozy mystery is a great example of the genre. The main characters are likable, while the victim is so unlivable, the reader doesn't regret his death. Most of all, this story was fun and satisfying.
Kelly
Drawn out story, I love cozy mysteries but this one was dull.
David Marshall
This is great fun, running as a not-quite-parallel to the Agatha Christie original.

Katie
Maggy and Jake are back, but I missed Sarah, Brookhills, and Frank the dog! The usual characters and setting are what makes it a Maggy Thorsen mystery.
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • Murder At The Castle (Dorothy Martin, #13)
  • Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4)
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • The Sayers Swindle (Book Collector Mystery #2)
  • Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)
  • Buried in Bargains (Good Buy Girls, #3)
  • Laced with Poison (Sweet Nothings, #2)
  • Stirring the Plot (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #3)
  • The Silence of the Llamas
  • Oak and Dagger (A White House Gardener Mystery, #3)
  • Kicking The Habit
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • To Brie or Not To Brie (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #4)
Sandra Balzo is an award-winning author of crime fiction, including eleven books in two mystery series--one set outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the other in the High Country of North Carolina. MURDER ON THE ORIENT ESPRESSO, the eighth Maggy Thorsen Wisconsin coffeehouse mystery, was released in December, and the series has been optioned for development as a TV series/film.

Balzo's books have gar
More about Sandra Balzo...
Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2) Uncommon Grounds (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #1) Bean There, Done That (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #3) Brewed, Crude and Tattooed (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #4) From the Grounds Up (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #5)