Start by marking “George Washington” as Want to Read:
George Washington

George Washington (DK Biography)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
George Washington is often called the father of our country. He beat the odds to lead the Continental Army to victory in the Revolutionary War, served as first president of the United States, and then retired from public life to farm Virginia's largest plantation.

In this groundbreaking new series, DK brings together fresh voices and DK design values to give readers the mos
Published January 1st 2005 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington

Joyce
May 24, 2014 Joyce added it
I cannot tell a lie: growing up in Washington State, we learned next to nothing about the British Colonial era (as opposed to the Spanish colonial era) or the Founding Fathers or the Revolutionary War. And even with what little I know, George Washington has always been the most misterioso of the lot -- probably because he was not much of a public writer. Thus while I was on a recent vacation in New Jersey, which has a lot of Revolutionary War sites, I picked up this short introduction to the fat ...more
Parker Hoffman
George Washington: A Photographic Story of a Life, is a biography about George Washington. It was written by Lenny Hort. The story manly takes place near the ending of the 19th century, mostly in Virginia, and in the time period of some wars, and on the battlefield of the many wars that George Washington was in. Washington was a great choice for our first president and he was an excellent military leader, he did very well at deceiving the British during the American Revolution.
George Washington
Mr. Gottshalk
Jan 09, 2016 Mr. Gottshalk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most famous person in American history was a great man, but also very flawed. There are so many interesting facts about Washington in this book that I did not know, and the author does not pump him up to be God-like but instead goes through George's most challenging times and lays down the facts for the readers. The illustrations and text features are interesting and provide a reader with key people and places to research as they compliment Washington's life. I like how honestly the book was ...more
Vanessa Dougherty
This book is about our first president and father of our country. It goes into detail about George Washington's involvement in America's history. It is a book for upper elementary grades. I would use this book to take facts from and use to make timelines.
Amy
Sep 29, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Hey, are we detecting a pattern in the books I'm reading?

This is probably the most detailed information I've read about George Washington. Like the Ben Franklin book in this series, it's a quick read and totally informative. I was reading it to my kids yesterday and they didn't want me to quit. I think we read for an hour and they whined when I said we had to be done for the day.

There's a great discussion in here about the slavery question. It's very thought provoking.
7709mei
Apr 19, 2013 7709mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because I learned a lot more information about him. I just knew that he was the first president in the United States. After reading this book. I can tell there was a lot of hardships in his lifetime. There were wars and a lot of violence
Deb
Mar 03, 2013 Deb rated it liked it
Well written, easy to follow, very informative. Perfect for the Social Studies project my son has to complete. I have to admit, that I too learned a lot about George Washington after reading this book :)
aisha
Jul 31, 2008 aisha rated it really liked it
Great kid's summary of George Washington's life. The more I learn about him, the more I like him. :)
Maria
Nov 27, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
Good book!
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Ayele Vassell
Ayele Vassell marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 09, 2016
Ariadne
Ariadne rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Mary-helen Giles
Mary-helen Giles marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Luna Gandara
Luna Gandara marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Jack J.Feng
Jack J.Feng rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Derbajo
Derbajo rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Rania Galal
Rania Galal marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Nicole  Hudgens
Nicole Hudgens rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Susan Elias-White
Susan Elias-White is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Natividad
Natividad marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Vince
Vince rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Nonna
Nonna added it
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

DK Biography (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Gandhi
  • Amelia Earhart
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Mother Teresa
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)