Start by marking “The Other Half” as Want to Read:
The Other Half

The Other Half

In the internationally bestselling author Sarah Rayner's The Other Half, Chloe, bright, hip and single, is a feature writer with ambitions to launch a magazine of her own. When she meets James, her potential new boss, she knows she shouldn't mix business with pleasure, but finds it impossible to resist...

Maggie appears to have it all. She's beautiful, a talented writer, an
Published March 25th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 14th 2013)

Delee
Yup, I have an ex-husband- A cheating ex-husband...I call him "Those We Don't Speak Of"...but sometimes I slip and speak of him just to poke fun- because I find it therapeutic and it amuses me. Although it was looong go, and I am indifferent to him personally- the betrayal left behind some big trust issues that never go away. Cheaters leave a trail of carnage in their wake- humiliated and hurt wives or husbands, children left to pick sides, mutual friends in awkward positions. It isn't pretty-an ...more
Lisa
Jul 08, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Delee
Shelves: about-women
A perfect beach read for my Jersey vacation. A smart take on wives, mistresses and cheating husbands. Chloe (the mistress) and John (the cheater) think they're being oh-so-discrete, but the reader is privy to all the stupid 'mistakes' they make and how their smoothness is anything but smooth. You also get to watch as Maggie (the wife) ever-so-slowly comes to the (rather obvious) realization that her husband is a weak, immoral man. Then she deals with things in her own way. Even though this is a ...more
Cleo Bannister
Mar 16, 2014 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it
Shelves: womans-fiction
Sarah Rayner’s book starts by describing good time Chloe, an up and coming star in the world of women’s magazines who goes for a drink with her boss, James and ends up taking him to bed with her. Chloe is trying to pitch an idea for a new magazine which is different (a concept that is long overdue in my opinion) and his contacts could be the break she needs.

Later on we get to know Maggie, the perfect wife, a well-known food writer who is well groomed and more sensible than Chloe. James and Maggi
Judy Collins
This was my first book by Sarah Rayner, and so look forward to reading more of her work!

“The Other Half” grabs you from the first page, to the last with such intensity, emotion, and seduction as this complicated sexy love triangle faces life, temptation, and desire in the sexy and hip UK and US glamorous magazine world. Set between modern London and lively New York, the suspense will keep you on edge until the wee hours of the morning.

This book was so much more than the “other woman/mistress”
Lu Bielefeld *Book Whore Brazil*
cheater scumbag + moron + doesn't know what he wants + whore at the Office +wife with young son
WTF Are You Reading?
The Other Half is one of those rare books that while shining a rather glaring spotlight on a very touchy subject, (adultery) still manages to entertain the reader and maintain a light hearted tone.
Telling the story of infidelity from both the point of view of mistress (Chloe) and wife (Maggie); author Sarah Rayner expertly navigates the twists and turns of loves, lives, betrayals, and growth with a respect and sensitivity that is unmatched.

Although there are a great many things that make this bo
Damaskcat
Jun 18, 2014 Damaskcat rated it it was ok
Chloe is a features editor on a magazine. She has what she thinks is a good idea for a new type of magazine for thirty something women and she pitches the idea to James, a publisher. In the course of their meetings she falls for him and the feeling is mutual. Their affair leads to consequences neither of them could have foreseen when they first met.

Unfortunately I didn't like Chloe as a character. She seemed shallow and self centred - not to say hypocritical. She condemned others for having aff
Helen
Apr 10, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: book clubs
Fair warning--there's lots of emotion and sexual attraction here, but this is no romance novel. "The Other Half" is the story of a marriage and an affair told from the viewpoints of the two women who lived it.

Set in England, it covers some interesting ground--what attracts us to people, whether we ever truly get over important past loves, how we justify our actions to ourselves, how much of ourselves we give up--or should give up--to maintain a relationship.

Though very different in appearance an
Sharleene
May 12, 2013 Sharleene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it, Started Sarah's books with One Moment, One Morning and this revamp of her earlier work is just as good.
Vox
Mar 23, 2014 Vox rated it really liked it
Where do you fall on the infidelity scale? Do you always blame the cheating spouse? Or are you one of those who thinks that the the one the spouse cheats with is at fault? Do you lay any responsibility at the feet of the one cheated on?

Sarah Rayner confronts that issue to some degree in her story, introducing you to Maggie (the wife) and Chloe (the mistress).

Maggie and Jamie's marriage is staid and comfortable. Parents to a seven-year-old son, they live in the English countryside, from which Jam
Soby
Sep 06, 2014 Soby rated it liked it
Books like The Other Half have the tendency to elicit a lot of cheap emotion from me. I inevitably get sucked into family drama/marriage-in-trouble stories, and I've recently found a plethora of novels that fall into that genre subset. This book was neither the best of those that I've read nor was it the worst.

The main players are Maggie, the freelance writer with a house, husband, and kid in the 'burbs, and Chloe, vivacious and bubbly and very naive. Maggie and Chloe are total opposites in look
Jill's Book Cafe
Aug 12, 2016 Jill's Book Cafe rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Other Half is the story of the affair between Chloe and James and the resulting fallout once the wife (Maggie) discovers what has been going on. The story unfolds in alternating chapters told by Chloe and Maggie. Consequently we get to know about James through the eyes of his wife and his lover, which allows the reader to form their own opinion as we take a more dispassionate view of his actions.

Given the subject matter, I was not inclined to be sympathetic towards the guilty parties, as I,
Beverly Diehl
This was a tough read. Chloe is an ambitious, curvy feature writer, who shares a London flat with Rob, her gay best friend, and wants to launch her own magazine. Maggie is a married mother who wants to expand her one-child family and her own feature writing career.

I received a free copy of this novel via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the IDEA of this novel, with alternating chapters between the mistress and wife in a love triangle. I thought Maggie's voice and character was
Melissa
Mar 14, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*ARC kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Cheating isn't the easiest subject to read about and I imagine it's because no one ever wants to think about being in that situation themselves. But don't let that deter you, this was a great book! The author tells the story from the perspective of the wife and the mistress with dual POV's, which makes for a unique story. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with cheating, but it was hard not to sympathize with both Ma
Juliet Loves Books
I came to this from Sarah Rayner's more recent novels, One Moment One Morning and The Two Week Wait, and whilst it's clearly written by younger woman, I enjoyed it hugely nonetheless. It tells the story of an affair from the alternating perspectives of the wife and the mistress - so one chapter is from Maggie's point of view, the next Chloe's, and so on. Because of this romantic theme it arguably sits more in the 'chick lit' genre, but there is meat to this novel nonetheless, and the familiar th ...more
Wanda
The Other Half is the story of human frailty and failings, loss and betrayal - a story filled with deception and lies. A step-by-step-guide to marital infidelity is not a subject I find interesting or approve of. The overt sexual theme, painted by the author, was not for me - very disappointing.

Most of the characters were not likable and I never connected to them, with the exception of Maggie, the wife. I did find her to be a strong woman and it was interesting to find out how she handled her m
Debbie
Apr 26, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
I was completely prepared not to like this book, I mean it was all about having an affair which I've always been very against. However, some how the characters in this book found a way to make me love them. I felt for Chloe the mistress and also Maggie the wife. I could see how they both got into the situations they did and I certainly sympathized with them both. That being said, I'm not sure this book would be for everyone. People who have dealt with infidelity might not find this book a great ...more
Gail M
Nov 18, 2014 Gail M rated it it was ok
Originally I gave this three stars simply because it was engrossing enough to get me through many long hours sitting in the hospital with a friend. however, as my son pointed out, the jeopardizes the credibility of all other reviews and stars, so I'm giving it two stars for being adequately engrossing and not requiring much cerebral effort. The kind of book that makes you feel so smart cause you figure out the plot before midway.

So, for those snowed-in-at-the-airport times, it gets two stars.
Lesley
Aug 30, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
This is really 3.5 stars (I liked her other book better) but since no half stars I averaged up and gave 4 stars. This is yet another book about affairs (seems like that is the topic to write about lately). This one told in alternating views of the wife and the mistress. How funny the guy is a liar! Big surprise! Good fast easy read!
Gai
Oct 10, 2016 Gai rated it did not like it
Spoilers ahead: I found the opinions of other reviewers somewhat mystifying. Many readers seem to think the ow was actually nice and even a victim. I didn't see this at all. The gimmick of having 2 alternate pov (in this case wife and ow) is getting so stale. Lazy authors seem to resort to it as a way to make the ow more human, as if telling her side of the story is going to make her crime any less despicable. But I guess some readers are falling for it judging by the reviews here. Reasons why o ...more
Cassie
Jan 03, 2017 Cassie rated it it was ok
Rayner is a fine writer (style, mechanics). My low rating is based on how much I disliked the characters she created (except for Rob - he was the only remotely sane character).
I tend to select books based on their title and/or cover, usually not even reading the synopsis. Wish I had for this one. The book explores two women involved with the same man - one is his wife, the other his employee turned mistress. I've read a dualogy that explored this same scenario and enjoyed it much more. All of t
Joanne
Dec 13, 2016 Joanne rated it liked it
I struggled with this book. I struggled with the characters resonating honestly for me. I don't think it was badly written I just don't think it was for me. I kept reading which speaks to the story being well developed but I feel for me (and only me) the characters were not my cup of tea. I don't know if it was because their responses were too simple or if it was that I have never met people who make those choices so clearly when life is chaotic. I would suggest starting this if you like escapis ...more
Bridget Bailey
Dec 08, 2016 Bridget Bailey rated it liked it
This was my second book by this author and it was really good and quick read. It was really relate-able in how affairs end up taking place and the toll they take on the people around them. I wasn't sure where this was going to end up and if the couple would stay together and I appreciated the ending and the whole story.
Jessica
Oct 21, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
This book....it felt all over the place at times. I felt so bad for both women in this story. Sometimes we're blind to the situations we're in and can't get perspective. I liked the ending but getting to that point was a struggle.
Megan Mullins
Dec 19, 2016 Megan Mullins rated it it was ok
Borrowed this from a friend, was entertaining if dumb as hell and sometimes offensive. But a fun read and I was happy with the ending.
Ivyd
Apr 20, 2014 Ivyd rated it really liked it
THE OTHER HALF is a thoroughly modern tale of an affair told by Maggie and Chloe, wife and mistress. Some things never really change.

Maggie Slater, wife to James or Jamie as she calls him. Maggie is tall, blonde, classic and understated. Maggie is reserved and controlled. She also manipulates and controls Jamie in every way she can. Maggie is thirty-nine and wants another child. She refuses to acknowledge that Jamie doesn’t share that desire. Jamie, though he adores him now, wasn’t thrilled when
Cassy
Aug 13, 2014 Cassy rated it did not like it
Ugh, this book. I decided to give it a try because I thought the premise might be interesting - as despicable as adultery is, I thought "huh, a book that explores both sides might be decent". Well, no. No, it wasn't.

Chloe is a magazine publisher in her 20s (or early 30s? I already forgot) who is brunette and curvy and wild and disorganized. Maggie, the wife, is tall and blonde and slender and super organized. Maggie is married to Jamie, and they have a child together. Jamie is Chloe's boss. Whe
Cathryn Thompson
Jan 01, 2017 Cathryn Thompson rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Interesting to read the same story from two different perspectives. It really allowed me to see a different point of view. I still didn't agree with one "half" of the choices, but I was able to empathize in a way I normally wouldn't.

Characters were well developed and I was pleased with the growth they'd shown by the end of the book.

I will look for other works by this author.
Leah
Chloe is a features editor at Babe, a conventional women's magazine, but has loftier goals. She's eager to reach an untapped market, an audience who doesn't slave away on the perfect five-course meal, one who doesn't care about which household appliances are ranked the highest. Her ambition catches the eye of her publisher, James, and he's just as enthusiastic about this new project. Perhaps a bit too enthusiastic.

Maggie has a beautiful house in a charming neighborhood, a family she adores, and
Lisa
Jun 24, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is the story of Chloe, Maggie and James. Three ordinary people with ordinary lives until their worlds collide.
Chloe is a features writer for a women’s magazine; a single, twenty-something modern woman with a great career and a disastrous love life. When she meets James, she knows he is married and out-of-bounds but the attraction is there and sometimes attraction is hard to fight.
Maggie is a thirty-something married mum-of-one, a freelance food writer, desperately wanting another child befo
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 24, 2015 02:33PM
  • It Comes in Waves
  • The Love Wars
  • On Grace
  • The Accidental Book Club
  • Never Say Goodbye
  • The Consequences (The Affair, #2)
  • Pretty in Ink
  • The Right Thing
  • Skies of Ash(Detective Elouise Norton #2)
  • The Wedding Beat
  • The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs
  • Random Acts of Kindness
  • Breakwater Bay
  • Domestic Affairs
Sarah Rayner is the author of the international bestseller, 'One Moment, One Morning' (2010). Her two latest novels, 'The Two Week Wait' (2012) and 'Another Night, Another Day' (2014), are also set in Brighton, England, and feature some of the same characters.

As a novelist, Sarah is known for tackling difficult subjects such as bereavement, infertility and mental illness with empathy and insight,
More about Sarah Rayner...

“Isn't it funny? We always think everyone else is so sorted, and once you get to know them better, you often find that they're pretty vulnerable, too.” 1 likes