Start by marking “The Omni Diet” as Want to Read:
The Omni Diet

The Omni Diet

By the time she had reached her mid-30s, Tana Amen had nearly given up on good health. Through a lifetime of chronic medical ailments, including severe digestive issues, recurrent infections and, most devastatingly, a battle with thyroid cancer, there was never a point when Tana felt consistently healthy. Doctors ascribed her poor health to genetics, bad luck, and a family ...more
Published December 24th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Omni Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Omni Diet

Shannon
If you are looking for a primer on clean eating, this is the book for you. I was introduced to this book through the author's husband, Dr. Amen. I have read many of his books on the intersection of brain function and diet and was looking forward to a more in depth study of the nutritional aspects of this theory. This book provides a lot of information in easily digestible chapters. The basic premise of the diet plan is that in order to achieve optimum health, one must avoid: sugar, dairy, and gl ...more
Monica Lee
Aug 01, 2013 Monica Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you think you might like kale smoothies, the Omni Diet is for you.

I tried the Omni Diet for two weeks earlier this month, and by "tried," I mean I stuck with it 95% of the time. Author Tana Amen calls it "the revolutionary 70% plan + 30% protein program to lose weight, reverse disease, fight inflammation and change your life forever."

It was really, really hard. And it certainly won't change my life forever because there's no way I can give up cheese for good. But for the most part, it works.

I
M.
Apr 04, 2013 M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-health
Tana Amen has written a book that helps people change the way they eat and think about food. Although I am a vegetarian, gluten intolerant and have a host of other food issues which prevent me from using the plan the way she laid it out - I do agree with her basic tenet, which basically boils down to maintaining an alkaline diet (the 70/30 rule. Disease cannot thrive in an alkaline environment, so choosing foods that help to keep your body alkaline only makes sense. The book is well laid out and ...more
Nicole
Jul 17, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013, food
Excellent information in the beginning and how and what to eat even if you don't follow their plan. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to making a lifestyle overhaul.
Montessahall
The book was more reaffirming than affirming. Overall, the information is useful but hardly new. It took a lot to get through the "infomercial" half of the book to access pertinent information on the actual diet. The "70% plant plus 30% protein" part of the book title pretty much says it all.
Dee
Mar 08, 2017 Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like most diet books, this one is 90% blah blah blah sciency-sounding padding and "real life stories", 10% potentially useful information if you have zero knowledge of nutrition. Add in some specious claims about beans and dairy and a side dose of churchiness and that's pretty much it.
Tina Peterson
Aug 17, 2013 Tina Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Omni Diet caught my attention because over the years of fighting Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain I have become aware that eating a whole foods, natural diet is beneficial and helpful to combatting pain, weight gain and inflammation. I was excited to see what looked like a helpful tool that was easy and budget friendly.

One of my concerns is that Tana says she can reverse disease and illnesses and personally I don't believe that you can reverse Fibromyalgia. Yes, most illnesses and disease are
Gina
Nov 23, 2014 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some good nutritional information and suggestions, but once again, the recipes require ingredients that are not easy to find or too expensive for the average consumer, like leg of lamb or rib eye steak. Liquid stevia in different flavors is suggested for adding sweetness to smoothies and dessert recipes, which I have not found in grocery stores. For this ordinary mom of many, I have learned a few good things about increasing my vegetables, decreasing my carbs, decreasing my sugar i ...more
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-food
I found this book to be really interesting. There is a lot of great information about how our bodies use and process food as well as food's effect on our health and illnesses.

After a few friends read this book I picked it up as a resource for post-partum weight loss and health. While I doubt I will fully adopt Amen's practices, I do think I will work some of them into my diet. There are a lot of great recipes in the back of the book. We tried two or three of them, and everyone was very happy wit
Susan Thornton
I believe that if you followed Tara's diet you would lose weight and be healthier. The diet consists of eating mostly vegetables, lean cuts of protein with a small amount of fruit and nuts. The information about why certain foods are not just fattening but unhealthy is interesting but I found it a bit repetitive. I decided that the diet was not for me although I did take away information that will help me eat healthier.
Naomi Kilpatrick
Jul 19, 2013 Naomi Kilpatrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A little too much promotion of supplements, but picked out a few more recipes. The message is good. I like the message that we need to consider that we should look at food as medicine for the brain and body in general. Wish it was easy to give up sugar. It is so easy to go back to eating food that is socially acceptable and not good for me and then I wonder why my joints are swollen and I'm retaining fluids. Hmmm
Jacqui
Sep 30, 2013 Jacqui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very similar to true paleo with the exception of nightshades and legumes items I cannot eat due to intolerance anyway. nothing new or ground breaking here and it takes almost 160pg to get to the point. a lot of repetitive data and pimping of the wonders of the diet without getting into the diet until pg162. felt like an infomercial.
Carol
Sep 01, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Very well done in my opinion.... very informative. The biggest drawback, however, is though Tana does at least discuss MSG and neurotoxins briefly and says to avoid them, some of her recommended products such as pea protein for an addition to smoothies and some other products listed in the back of the book are highly probable to contain such neurotoxins.
Allison
Jul 04, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put with some very practical things you can do/eat/add to your diet to better your health. While some of the recipes are complicated, you do not have to follow them exactly to understand the basics of what you should eat- easy to modify to fit your own life. I didnt do the whole plan and i'm not trying to lose weight, rather i read it for health information and have used it in that way.
Louise Pronovost
I have been very careful with carbs, following the New Atkins plan. I picked up Tana Amen's book looking for new recipes. There are many tasty ones but many with ingredients that are difficult to find and likely to be expensive if you found them. Otherwise, the book is clear and well documented.
Ponch
Mar 06, 2013 Ponch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I didn't want this book to follow the diet step by step but to help gather ideas for a healthy diet and this book had some great ideas. I have some family members that have health concerns and I think this book would be great for them.

I received a free copy of this book through GoodReads.
Irene O'Neill
Lots of good information, but as I've discovered with other health books, all the "experts" don't necessarily agree on what you should and shouldn't eat. Still, adopting this diet instead of the typical American diet would be a HUGE step in the direction of health.
Barbara
Dec 18, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! I think both myself and my husband will attempt this after Christmas!
Eva Weisenburger
Jan 06, 2015 Eva Weisenburger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I've been on a nutrition reading kick. None of the information was shocking, but the science behind our nutrition and bodies is pretty fascinating.
Aimee Schewe
Feb 25, 2014 Aimee Schewe rated it it was ok
A book full of duh I already knew that.
Bonnie
Jul 25, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well written with details of diseases that can be avoided or decreased by following the Omni program. now if only I can get aboard. list of acceptable foods excludes foods I enjoy but of course.
Sara
May 13, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting...I like the smoothie recipes.
Mom
Jan 23, 2014 Mom rated it really liked it
Great smoothie recipes and info
El Keitho
Jan 25, 2014 El Keitho rated it it was ok
absolutely nothing new in this book. nothing you don't already know
Lisa
Jul 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good diet/lifestyle book offering good recipes for weight loss, health issues and allergies. Recommend.
Allison Garza
Oct 13, 2013 Allison Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Very good information, a little too severe for me, but the explanations are excellent and will make me a more discerning consumer.
Kalyca
Aug 06, 2013 Kalyca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing.
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Janice Bergeron
Janice Bergeron rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How to Lose Weight in Your Sleep: Easy No Diet Weight Loss Secrets to Be at Your Dream Weight
  • Hollywood Diet & Exercise Secrets
  • Calories & Corsets: A History of Dieting Over 2,000 Years
  • Allergy Safe Cuisine: Cooking Without the Top 8 Food Allergens, Plus Corn, Gluten and Msg
  • Eat This Not That! The Best (& Worst!) Foods in America!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
  • The American Medical Association Family Medical Guide
  • The Overnight Diet: The Proven Plan for Fast, Permanent Weight Loss
  • 7 Years Younger: The Revolutionary 7-Week Plan to Look and Feel Your Best
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews, and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • When Your Adult Child Breaks Your Heart: Coping with Mental Illness, Substance Abuse, and the Problems That Tear Families Apart
  • Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes
  • Stargazing for Beginners: How to Find Your Way Around the Night Sky
  • Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food for Real Life
  • The Start Here Diet: Three Simple Steps That Helped Me Transition from Fat to Slim . . . for Life
  • Everyday Energy Boosters: 365 Tips and Tricks to Help You Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Now Write! Mysteries: Suspense, Crime, Thriller, and Other Mystery Fiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters: More than 100 Years of Recipes Discovered from Family Cookbooks, Original Journals, Scraps of Paper, and Grandmother?s Kitchen
Tana K. Amen, BSN, has worked as a Trauma/Neurosurgical intensive care nurse and is the wife of Daniel G. Amen. Tana is the nutrition and fitness leader of the Amen household. She practices martial arts regularly, has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and enjoys a variety of other physical activities. Keeping her family focused on fitness and health is a primary value for Tana.
More about Tana Amen...