Start by marking “The Omni Diet” as Want to Read:
The Omni Diet

The Omni Diet

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  22 reviews
By the time she had reached her mid-30s, Tana Amen had nearly given up on good health. Through a lifetime of chronic medical ailments, including severe digestive issues, recurrent infections and, most devastatingly, a battle with thyroid cancer, there was never a point when Tana felt consistently healthy. Doctors ascribed her poor health to genetics, bad luck, and a family ...more
Published December 24th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Omni Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Omni Diet

Shannon
If you are looking for a primer on clean eating, this is the book for you. I was introduced to this book through the author's husband, Dr. Amen. I have read many of his books on the intersection of brain function and diet and was looking forward to a more in depth study of the nutritional aspects of this theory. This book provides a lot of information in easily digestible chapters. The basic premise of the diet plan is that in order to achieve optimum health, one must avoid: sugar, dairy, and gl ...more
Monica Lee
If you think you might like kale smoothies, the Omni Diet is for you.

I tried the Omni Diet for two weeks earlier this month, and by "tried," I mean I stuck with it 95% of the time. Author Tana Amen calls it "the revolutionary 70% plan + 30% protein program to lose weight, reverse disease, fight inflammation and change your life forever."

It was really, really hard. And it certainly won't change my life forever because there's no way I can give up cheese for good. But for the most part, it works.

I
Nicole
Excellent information in the beginning and how and what to eat even if you don't follow their plan. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to making a lifestyle overhaul.
Gina
This book has some good nutritional information and suggestions, but once again, the recipes require ingredients that are not easy to find or too expensive for the average consumer, like leg of lamb or rib eye steak. Liquid stevia in different flavors is suggested for adding sweetness to smoothies and dessert recipes, which I have not found in grocery stores. For this ordinary mom of many, I have learned a few good things about increasing my vegetables, decreasing my carbs, decreasing my sugar i ...more
Stephanie
I found this book to be really interesting. There is a lot of great information about how our bodies use and process food as well as food's effect on our health and illnesses.

After a few friends read this book I picked it up as a resource for post-partum weight loss and health. While I doubt I will fully adopt Amen's practices, I do think I will work some of them into my diet. There are a lot of great recipes in the back of the book. We tried two or three of them, and everyone was very happy wit
Tina Peterson
The Omni Diet caught my attention because over the years of fighting Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain I have become aware that eating a whole foods, natural diet is beneficial and helpful to combatting pain, weight gain and inflammation. I was excited to see what looked like a helpful tool that was easy and budget friendly.

One of my concerns is that Tana says she can reverse disease and illnesses and personally I don't believe that you can reverse Fibromyalgia. Yes, most illnesses and disease are
M.
Tana Amen has written a book that helps people change the way they eat and think about food. Although I am a vegetarian, gluten intolerant and have a host of other food issues which prevent me from using the plan the way she laid it out - I do agree with her basic tenet, which basically boils down to maintaining an alkaline diet (the 70/30 rule. Disease cannot thrive in an alkaline environment, so choosing foods that help to keep your body alkaline only makes sense. The book is well laid out and ...more
Bonnie
well written with details of diseases that can be avoided or decreased by following the Omni program. now if only I can get aboard. list of acceptable foods excludes foods I enjoy but of course.
Sara
Interesting...I like the smoothie recipes.
Susan Thornton
I believe that if you followed Tara's diet you would lose weight and be healthier. The diet consists of eating mostly vegetables, lean cuts of protein with a small amount of fruit and nuts. The information about why certain foods are not just fattening but unhealthy is interesting but I found it a bit repetitive. I decided that the diet was not for me although I did take away information that will help me eat healthier.
Naomi Kilpatrick
A little too much promotion of supplements, but picked out a few more recipes. The message is good. I like the message that we need to consider that we should look at food as medicine for the brain and body in general. Wish it was easy to give up sugar. It is so easy to go back to eating food that is socially acceptable and not good for me and then I wonder why my joints are swollen and I'm retaining fluids. Hmmm
Allison
Simply put with some very practical things you can do/eat/add to your diet to better your health. While some of the recipes are complicated, you do not have to follow them exactly to understand the basics of what you should eat- easy to modify to fit your own life. I didnt do the whole plan and i'm not trying to lose weight, rather i read it for health information and have used it in that way.
Carol
Very well done in my opinion.... very informative. The biggest drawback, however, is though Tana does at least discuss MSG and neurotoxins briefly and says to avoid them, some of her recommended products such as pea protein for an addition to smoothies and some other products listed in the back of the book are highly probable to contain such neurotoxins.
Jacqui
very similar to true paleo with the exception of nightshades and legumes items I cannot eat due to intolerance anyway. nothing new or ground breaking here and it takes almost 160pg to get to the point. a lot of repetitive data and pimping of the wonders of the diet without getting into the diet until pg162. felt like an infomercial.
Ponch
I didn't want this book to follow the diet step by step but to help gather ideas for a healthy diet and this book had some great ideas. I have some family members that have health concerns and I think this book would be great for them.

I received a free copy of this book through GoodReads.
Irene O'Neill
Lots of good information, but as I've discovered with other health books, all the "experts" don't necessarily agree on what you should and shouldn't eat. Still, adopting this diet instead of the typical American diet would be a HUGE step in the direction of health.
Allison Garza
I liked this book. Very good information, a little too severe for me, but the explanations are excellent and will make me a more discerning consumer.
Aimee Schewe
A book full of duh I already knew that.
Barbara
Excellent book! I think both myself and my husband will attempt this after Christmas!
El Keitho
absolutely nothing new in this book. nothing you don't already know
Mom
Great smoothie recipes and info
Hayla
Hayla added it
Dec 27, 2014
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Gina Patterson
Gina Patterson marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • How to Lose Weight in Your Sleep: Easy No Diet Weight Loss Secrets to Be at Your Dream Weight
  • Hollywood Diet & Exercise Secrets
  • Allergy Safe Cuisine: Cooking Without the Top 8 Food Allergens, Plus Corn, Gluten and Msg
  • Calories & Corsets: A History of Dieting Over 2,000 Years
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • 7 Years Younger: The Revolutionary 7-Week Plan to Look and Feel Your Best
  • The Overnight Diet: The Proven Plan for Fast, Permanent Weight Loss
  • The Beauty Detox Foods: Discover the Top 50 Beauty Foods That Will Transform Your Body and Reveal a More Beautiful You
  • Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes
  • Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food for Real Life
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • When Your Adult Child Breaks Your Heart: Coping with Mental Illness, Substance Abuse, and the Problems That Tear Families Apart
  • Healthy Cooking In A Jiffy: The Complete No Fad, No Diet Handbook
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • 40 Juicing Recipes For Weight Loss and Healthy Living
  • Everyday Energy Boosters: 365 Tips and Tricks to Help You Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life
  • Low Gi Belly Fat Diet - The Flat Belly Action Plan
Tana K. Amen, BSN, has worked as a Trauma/Neurosurgical intensive care nurse and is the wife of Daniel G. Amen. Tana is the nutrition and fitness leader of the Amen household. She practices martial arts regularly, has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and enjoys a variety of other physical activities. Keeping her family focused on fitness and health is a primary value for Tana.
More about Tana Amen...
Change Your Brain, Change Your Body Cookbook Eat Healthy with the Brain Doctor's Wife Cookbook: The Amen Solution Get Healthy with the Brain Doctor's Wife Coaching Guide Healing ADD at Home in 30 Days