Start by marking “I Take Thee, Serenity” as Want to Read:
I Take Thee, Serenity

I Take Thee, Serenity

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  17 reviews
An inspirational story of Peter and Serenity, young people confronted with the problem of making a true marriage in the midst of the world's demands. Shares Quaker beliefs. For all readers.
Published June 1st 2006 by Friends United Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about I Take Thee, Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Take Thee, Serenity

Sometimes, when the timing is right, when your heart or mind are in a certain place and are prepared in just a particular way, specific books can be doorways. Doorways through which you walk and where new truth opens up and what is revealed is so profound it changes something inside you.

That was my experience with I Take Thee, Serenity. Not that the characters or occurrences in the story were similar to my own life or experience, but more that the searching for answers and being led to them, of
Douglas  Donaldson
In some ways this book, aimed at young people living in the 1960s, is dated in its approach. Still, as an introduction to Quaker values and living, I found the book inspiring and eventually read the other works by Daisy Newman. It seems she wrote the same story for several generations. We all hope for and at the same time disbelieve in innocent hamlets. This book--along with Diligence in Love and others--will inspire belief. Recommended for young women especially, but also for those who can stil ...more
Read this years ago. Like in high school. Loved it then. Enjoyed reading it again. A bit dated but
still good.
At first I struggled with this book, and thought that Newman was not a good writer. But the deeper in the book I got, the less I noticed her particular style, and I absolutely fell for this story. In fact I keep picking it up and re-reading parts. The book is a novel, but a novel about a couple discovering Quakers, and so she describes meeting for Worship, business meeting, a Quaker wedding, how Quakers deal with death, how Quakers live, plain speech - it's is all shown.

It is all a bit shiny an
Dawn Michelle
I by this time had gotten in the habit of getting the Readers Digest Condensed books as soon as they came in the mail and then sat down and read every story in there. I LOVED books and couldn't get enough of them. Hence me reading stuff that was WAY too old for me to read. :)
This is a great love story. A sweet story. I think my mom still has this copy of the RDC and I think I am going to steal it from her and read all the stories again! YAY
Val Nostdahl
believe it or not I found this book in the early 80's and fell in love with the story, even red the 2nd book by the author, I liked the name so much I decided to name my first baby, serenity, it took some doing to convince family this is what I wanted, and on the day she was born, her dad actually liked it so well he named her, and came back to my room after I had her to tell me she was here!
I finally got this book on an interlibrary loan from Carthage Public Library. I am excited about finding out how the different characters came to be in it's sequel "Indian Summer of the Heart." It was great to find out more about Serenity and Peter. It wass an enjoyable book to read, there is a feeling of peace and yes, serenity, in it as well as in "Indian Summer of the Heart."
Mar 16, 2010 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
Charming if improbable story about a couple who decide to marry very young, and become part of a Quaker community in Rhode Island. Although dated, it is a fascinating introduction to the Quaker religion and lifestyle.

Mrs. Newman was the housemother in my mother's college dorm.
Doris Carter
I found this story in a Reader's Digest condensed book as well as the sequel Indian Summer of the Heart when my children were very young. I became interested in the Quaker way of life and found both stories beautiful.
Blaine Morrow
Warm and comforting, this book provides a look at Quaker traditions and lifestyles and follows a young woman's growth toward self-discovery. A good read for anyone looking for spiritual growth or development.
Gizella Czene
Read this story as a teen and it inspired my life-long interest in Quakers. I am now a supporter of the American Friends Society and consider myself a nontheistic friend.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Perhaps dated now, but I still love it. I wouldn't be surprised if this novel helped inform the Quakerism of several girls of my generation...
Eh. I'm pretty sure I would have hated this book had I not been fascinated with Quakers when I read it.
I'm only read the condensed version but I found it inspirational and interesting.
This is a Quaker story of two college students who want to marry. Very good.
Margaret Boehm
Very moving. Enjoyable.
I reread this book this week after about 30 years. At least I think it was a reread as I remembered loving it as a girl but my 30 years older memory and perspective made it very different. It really is a cautionary tale written in reaction to the easing of sexual moral standards brought about by the advent of the pill. It is also a lovely look at Quakerism and a great example of living a more mindful life. Because of the moral point Newman is trying to strike home about premarital sex that pops ...more
connie frugia
connie frugia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Caroline Poole
Caroline Poole marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Geetha Chandran
Geetha Chandran marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Janet marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Genie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Munyaradzi Marozva
Munyaradzi Marozva marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Daisy Newman, a novelist and Quaker historian, was born in Southport, England, of American parents. She attended Radcliffe College, Barnard College and Oxford University. An active member of the Friends Meeting in Cambridge, Mass., she frequently wrote about Quaker life and history.

She was the author of many novels, including "Now That April's Here," "Diligence in Love," "The Autumn's Brightness"
More about Daisy Newman...
Indian Summer of the Heart The Autumns Brightness Now That April's There Diligence In Love A Golden String