Start by marking “I Take Thee, Serenity” as Want to Read:
I Take Thee, Serenity

I Take Thee, Serenity

An inspirational story of Peter and Serenity, young people confronted with the problem of making a true marriage in the midst of the world's demands. Shares Quaker beliefs. For all readers.
Published June 1st 2006 by Friends United Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about I Take Thee, Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Take Thee, Serenity

Katherine

Sometimes, when the timing is right, when your heart or mind are in a certain place and are prepared in just a particular way, specific books can be doorways. Doorways through which you walk and where new truth opens up and what is revealed is so profound it changes something inside you.

That was my experience with I Take Thee, Serenity. Not that the characters or occurrences in the story were similar to my own life or experience, but more that the searching for answers and being led to them, of
Douglas  Donaldson
Aug 05, 2008 Douglas Donaldson rated it really liked it
In some ways this book, aimed at young people living in the 1960s, is dated in its approach. Still, as an introduction to Quaker values and living, I found the book inspiring and eventually read the other works by Daisy Newman. It seems she wrote the same story for several generations. We all hope for and at the same time disbelieve in innocent hamlets. This book--along with Diligence in Love and others--will inspire belief. Recommended for young women especially, but also for those who can stil ...more
Gennyfer
Jan 08, 2015 Gennyfer rated it really liked it
I reread this book this week after about 30 years. At least I think it was a reread as I remembered loving it as a girl but my 30 years older memory and perspective made it very different. It really is a cautionary tale written in reaction to the easing of sexual moral standards brought about by the advent of the pill. It is also a lovely look at Quakerism and a great example of living a more mindful life. Because of the moral point Newman is trying to strike home about premarital sex that pops ...more
Mandy
Nov 20, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
At first I struggled with this book, and thought that Newman was not a good writer. But the deeper in the book I got, the less I noticed her particular style, and I absolutely fell for this story. In fact I keep picking it up and re-reading parts. The book is a novel, but a novel about a couple discovering Quakers, and so she describes meeting for Worship, business meeting, a Quaker wedding, how Quakers deal with death, how Quakers live, plain speech - it's is all shown.

It is all a bit shiny an
Dawn Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing
I by this time had gotten in the habit of getting the Readers Digest Condensed books as soon as they came in the mail and then sat down and read every story in there. I LOVED books and couldn't get enough of them. Hence me reading stuff that was WAY too old for me to read. :)
This is a great love story. A sweet story. I think my mom still has this copy of the RDC and I think I am going to steal it from her and read all the stories again! YAY
Lois
May 12, 2009 Lois rated it really liked it
I finally got this book on an interlibrary loan from Carthage Public Library. I am excited about finding out how the different characters came to be in it's sequel "Indian Summer of the Heart." It was great to find out more about Serenity and Peter. It wass an enjoyable book to read, there is a feeling of peace and yes, serenity, in it as well as in "Indian Summer of the Heart."
Val Nostdahl
Mar 26, 2012 Val Nostdahl rated it it was amazing
believe it or not I found this book in the early 80's and fell in love with the story, even red the 2nd book by the author, I liked the name so much I decided to name my first baby, serenity, it took some doing to convince family this is what I wanted, and on the day she was born, her dad actually liked it so well he named her, and came back to my room after I had her to tell me she was here!
Doris Carter
May 05, 2013 Doris Carter rated it it was amazing
I found this story in a Reader's Digest condensed book as well as the sequel Indian Summer of the Heart when my children were very young. I became interested in the Quaker way of life and found both stories beautiful.
Blaine Morrow
Jul 31, 2011 Blaine Morrow rated it really liked it
Warm and comforting, this book provides a look at Quaker traditions and lifestyles and follows a young woman's growth toward self-discovery. A good read for anyone looking for spiritual growth or development.
CLM
Aug 28, 2007 CLM rated it really liked it
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
Charming if improbable story about a couple who decide to marry very young, and become part of a Quaker community in Rhode Island. Although dated, it is a fascinating introduction to the Quaker religion and lifestyle.

Mrs. Newman was the housemother in my mother's college dorm.
Gizella Czene
Apr 17, 2011 Gizella Czene rated it really liked it
Read this story as a teen and it inspired my life-long interest in Quakers. I am now a supporter of the American Friends Society and consider myself a nontheistic friend.
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 1 1976, 6/78. A novel about a young couple, college life, marriage, and their Quaker religion. Okay.
Margaret Boehm
May 07, 2010 Margaret Boehm rated it really liked it
Very moving. Enjoyable.
Vikki
Jun 28, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it
This is a Quaker story of two college students who want to marry. Very good.
Lindsay
Nov 15, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Read this years ago. Like in high school. Loved it then. Enjoyed reading it again. A bit dated but
still good.
Heather!
Jun 24, 2013 Heather! rated it liked it
Eh. I'm pretty sure I would have hated this book had I not been fascinated with Quakers when I read it.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 Jobiska (Cindy) rated it really liked it
Perhaps dated now, but I still love it. I wouldn't be surprised if this novel helped inform the Quakerism of several girls of my generation...
Laura Rogers
Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Xyrfiel Audrey
Xyrfiel Audrey rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Jamaicah Mae
Jamaicah Mae rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Cynthia Bruning
Cynthia Bruning rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2008
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
Susan Keraus
Susan Keraus rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
George Stockman
George Stockman rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Daisy Newman, a novelist and Quaker historian, was born in Southport, England, of American parents. She attended Radcliffe College, Barnard College and Oxford University. An active member of the Friends Meeting in Cambridge, Mass., she frequently wrote about Quaker life and history.

She was the author of many novels, including "Now That April's Here," "Diligence in Love," "The Autumn's Brightness"
More about Daisy Newman...