Start by marking “M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures #9)” as Want to Read:
M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures #9)

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures #9)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  6,157 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Guido and Nunzio may not be the brightest bodyguards in the world—but they certainly are faithful. When Skeeve "the Great" asks them to join the army of Possiltum, the two thugs volunteer without question.

Except...whose side are they on?

Queen Hemlock's? The Mob's Fairy Godfather's? Skeeve's? The two baffled bodyguards barely have time to figure it all out—they've been ha
Mass Market Paperback, 245 pages
Published June 1st 1991 by Ace Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action

Eglė
Aug 25, 2011 Eglė rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally start seeing this thing I have been warned about - that Robert Asprin is writing not as well as before. Of course, it all was due to hectic writing schedule because of the specific contract he signed, but oh well, I must admit that this book did not amuse me as the previous ones. The first thing that threw me off was that all of it was written in Guido's POV. Yes, in one of the previous ones he juggled other characters' POVs, but that was fun, and it was chapter by chapter - now it's t ...more
John Kirk
Oct 13, 2011 John Kirk rated it it was ok
The story held my attention, and it was good to see some opposing viewpoints (e.g. the drill sergeant's view's on killing). However, nothing really got resolved, so it feels incomplete. I don't mind books being part of an ongoing series, but it's better if each one can also stand alone. There are also some odd glitches, e.g. (view spoiler) ...more
Ensiform
Dec 05, 2011 Ensiform rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The ninth in the Myth Adventures series. Narrated by Guido, this volume occurs concurrently with the previous, Myth-Nomers And Im-Pervections. Without Skeeve, the gang is on Klah, trying to slow or sabotage Queen Hemlock’s power in various ways. His two gangster bodyguards enlist in her enormous army and get into scrapes of various kinds, but keep getting inadvertently promoted for creative thinking and efficiency.

Apart from Guido being portrayed as an utter dolt here when it comes to plotting,
Neil
Nov 17, 2015 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was book 9 in the Myth Adventure series, but actually follows on from book 7 (MYTH Inc Link). It is not as illogical as it sounds as it runs parallel to book 8 (MYTH Nomers and Impervections). Book 8 dealt with Skeeve in the Dimension of Perv, where he had gone to search for Aahz. Aahz going missing was only one of the crisis which happened, the other being Queen Hemlock's expansion plans in the Dimension of Klah. So when Skeeve goes one way, he sends the rest of the team to Klah to see wha ...more
George
Mar 21, 2017 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this series in my nerdy older brothers collection and quickly read all of them. The main character Skeeve kind of fakes his way to being considered a great wizard. I think we can all relate to feeling like impostors at times.
Thomas
Nov 23, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, re-read, 2016
The One About the Army

To say that I wasn't thrilled about returning to another M.Y.T.H. Inc. novel is an understatement. I wasn't looking forward to another mish-mash of a story with alternating points of view and multiple plots, but it turns out that Asprin wisely chose to focus on just one other character than four, as he had done with M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link. Of course, focusing on Guido means we get a full novel of his Runyonesque style of speaking, which takes some time to get accustomed to.

The
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 April Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1990.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author
Ryk Stanton
I wonder what was going through Robert Asprin's head as he got to this part of the series. It was probably, "Hey, what can I do to make more money?" I am a fan of the series (and one of the early fans: I saw the paperback for Book One when I was a young teen at the local public library my parents took me to -- man, I loved going to the library), so I gave this rating a bonus star. But don't start here because you will be totally lost!

This book made no real effort to bring new readers up to speed
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it liked it
Guido and Nunzio, former mob kneecappers, are interesting characters, but I do not feel they rank up there with Skeeve and Aahz. Yes, Tananda, Massha and Chumley all briefly appear in this tale, but the story mostly revolves around Guido and Nunzio.

My personal preference are the stories involving the original crew of the Myth series. I love the bumbling Skeeve and the money-hungry Aahz. This story does have merit though and I did enjoy the read. But, I think Klah is a rather boring dimension an
Michael Tildsley
Jan 21, 2017 Michael Tildsley rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

This book was good, but not as good as the previous M.Y.T.H. book in the broken P.O.V. series. For some reason, the differing view points just didn't gel as much and were not as exciting or funny this time around.

I really did enjoy Guido and Nunzio in the Army, but I found it a little annoying that they were thwarted with success so often. It was funny, but not all that realistic. I listened to the audio book again this time, and thank goodness it had the same reader. He made this stor
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Why can't I like the M.Y.T.H. Inc books as much? Not that they're horrible - don't get that idea - but they just aren't nearly as entertaining as the regular Myth books.

Is because I'm far too fond of Skeeve, Aahz, Tanda, Chumley and Massha to make room for Guido and Nunzio? Is it Guido's speech patterns? Or is it that the stories, when told from the team's point of view, is far too disjointed to present a cohesive plot that engages the reader?

I was still entertained, I'll give it that. Guido and
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 Megalion rated it liked it
This was really an overlong and drawnout story that should have been just a couple of chapters in the next book and not its own.

It does give you a lot of time with Guido and Nunzio plus we see Tanada, Massha and a few other of the myth crew.

There was a stretch that's obviously inspired by the Phule books (if you haven't read, think Sgt Bilko type) as Guido and Nunzio join the Possiltum army in hopes of slowing down Queen Hemlock's expansion plans. But the rest of the book is filler up to the e
Robert
Nov 08, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
Revisited this one recently - it's a fun romp through gangster farce and army satire, wrapped in fantasy garb, with the occasional fourth-wall breaking segue. Got that? The clash of anachronisms is one of the best parts of this series, and if that doesn't appeal to you, then neither will the puns. If it does, know that each book in the series mostly stands on its own, though each is made more enjoyable by the context provided by the others.

The point of view character is Guido, one of Skeeve the
Tom Loock
Aug 25, 2011 Tom Loock rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
Re-read in December 2013. M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action is still funny. The series as such benefits from an assortments of POVs and this one is told by Guido, a member of the mob and (one of) Skeeve's bodyguard. Asprin struggles with Guido's language (an odd mix of sophistication and slang) and though the story in itself is pretty good, the ending fizzles to a disappointing cliffhanger. Still, fans of the series will enjoy it. On to the next one.
East Bay J
Sep 13, 2008 East Bay J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
The M.Y.T.H. books, told from points of view of Skeeve’s team members, just aren’t as good as the regular books. They should really be their own series. M.Y.T.H. Inc. In Action is told from Guido’s point of view. Asprin does his level best to portray Guido’s “mob speech” style of language but he’s inconsistent with it and it’s somewhat distracting. The plot was sort of a hodgepodge of ideas, all going seemingly nowhere. I think the main thing that held my interest is that the characters are like ...more
Spigana
Lai ko jūs darītu, nav iespējams armiju padarīt vēl neefektīvāku, nekā tā ir.
Jau atkal Skīva komandai nākas apstādināt armiju, tikai šoreiz bez paša Skīva līdzdalības.
Skīva neesamība šinī grāmatā mani īpaši nesajūsmināja, bet viņa miesassargu aktīva iesaistīšanās gan, izrādās, ka Gvido ir viena interesanta personība.
Sērija joprojām ir izklaidējoša un amizanta, un šķiet, ka Asprins ir viens asprātīgs pacifists. Ļoti interesē, ko viņš ir ieplānojis iesākt ar Glīpu, jo pūķa pieminēšana grāmatās kļū
Krista Ivy
Skeeve and the team need to get themselves out of a predicament with Queen Hemlock. they decide to simply dismantle her army from every angle. from the inside and out. it backfires, as their plans tend to, in a hilarious manner. it turns out that Queen Hemlock did not kill the King, but sent his finger with the ring, which would not come off of the finger, as a sign for Skeeve to come back and not as a threat. Now she is threatening to marry him, again. That won't happen if Tanda sicks Bunny on ...more
Biblioworm
Oct 15, 2013 Biblioworm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenager, english
Совсем слабо.
Много малоинтересных многословных рассуждений. Много пересказа предыдущих книжек, что можно было бы понять, если бы это была самодостаточная книга, но у этой книги еще и полностью открытй конец, предлагается читать завершение в следующей.

В общем я 100% рекомендую как отличную литературу для подростков только первую книгу серии, она очень воздушная и смешная, щедрая на фантазию автора.
Потом есть несколько неплохих книжек но уже похуже.

Эту и предыдущую читать точно не надо, и, наверно
Đenis
Mar 24, 2016 Đenis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-shelf
Musím povedať, že napriek tomu, že to nebolo o Skeevovi sa mi pozdávalo. Konečne tiež začínam vidieť tesnú paralelu a podobnosť s Pratchettom. Zatiaľ, čo sa Skeeve vzmužuje sám na Perve a hľadá Aahza, Kvido s bratrancom sa snažia zvládnuť rozklad Posssiltslej armády, ktorá sa vybrala na expanziu. Ako to už u Asprina býva, 95% knihy čítate nejakú paralelu s našou realitou, v tomto prípade armádou, posledných pár stránok sa zvrtne a všetko sa vyrieši úplne inač a jednoducho.
David Hibberd
Dec 14, 2009 David Hibberd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Robert Asprin writes brilliant humor in his MYTH series. He creates an odd assortment of characters that are fun to read about. I would read the books to my family and we laughed our way through all the books. If you like humor, magic, mobsters, demons, dragons, and other such characters, read Robert's MYTH books. If you don't like those kinds of characters, read the books and you will come away with some crazy new friends.
Leli
Jan 04, 2014 Leli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guido and Nunzio are officially my favorite characters. They've got what Skeeve hasn't - they're not do-good-ing because they're too innocent or naive to know better; they're do-gooding IN SPITE OF knowing better, because deep down under their practical, gangster selves is a niggling, "y'know, that don't quite seem right to me, know what I'm saying?"
Walt
Feb 09, 2008 Walt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The ninth book in the myth series focuses on two of the hero's mob bodyguards. However, it is clear that Asprin is not as fond of the them as he is of the other characters. Since this disappointing book, all of his myth books focus on Skeeve or Aahz.
Jdetrick
I've not been a huge fan of this series, but I consider this entry to be a very big missed opportunity. I was hoping to see the cast of characters in action, but instead this book focuses on only two of them; two of the least interesting ones.
Rachel
Sep 06, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this next book in the series much better than the last two. Although the point of view was from a different character, I quite enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next in the series to continue the story.
John
Feb 15, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
More myth adventures. I really love this series and this book was a lot of fun. Seeing the series from the eyes of lowly secondary characters was really enjoyable.

If you haven't read these, you probably should.
Tyrannosaurus regina
Jun 02, 2015 Tyrannosaurus regina rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humour, reread
Okay, this entry in the series went way too meta for me, with frequent references to other books as books. The books are getting less subtle too, if possible, and there are some long setups for one-note jokes. It's a good thing I enjoy most of the characters.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the exception of Terry Pratchett no can write fantasy comedy like Aspin. These are great reads and you will laugh the entire way through. Highly recommended
Ежко Таралежко
Не, просто не.
Втора книга от гледната точка на скучноватия гангстер Гуидо. Няма фентъзи. Няма хумор. И уличния му език дразни безумно в оригинал на английски
Andy
8TH IN SERIES. 1ST AMERICAN PBACK EDITION.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My Rating System:
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • Shadowspawn
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's #2)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)

“Just a little off the top!"- A. Boleyn” 13 likes