The New Avengers: Illuminati

The New Avengers: Illuminati (The Avengers)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,255 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The Illuminati is a secret organization comprised of several of the world's most powerful heroes: Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme; Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans, Charles Xavier, founder of the X-Men and mutant-rights activist; Reed Richards, founding member of the Fantastic Four; Namor the Sub-Mariner, king of Atlantis; and Iron Man Tony Stark, founding member of the A...more
Hardcover, Premiere HC, 128 pages
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel

Caz Edmunds
Got this graphic novel compilation for the fact that my favorite Marvel character, Dr. Strange figures prominently in it. And to have other Marvel heavy hitters like Iron Man, Professor Charles Xavier and Reed Richards in it was just too tempting to pass up.

Verdict?

I wouldn’t say that it was a must read but given that it prefigures into the reason behind the Secret Invasion, I say that that alone was price of admission.

This edition collects Illuminati 1-5 and shows the collective force of Dr. S...more
Brad
The Illuminati, Marvel's secret group of team leaders retconned into existence, gets its own team up book, where they take on the Skrulls, the Beyonder, their ex-girlfriends (sorta) Marvel Boy, and the Infinity Gauntlet. This book provides a logical bridge between two big crossovers, Civil War and Secret Invasion.
All the creators involved are guys I like, but this book feels a bit too much like moving chess pieces around to appease continuity gods. That said, Brian Michael Bendis always writes...more
Anne
I couldn't quite bring myself to give this one 4 stars. To me, it was lacking that special something that great stories have. The concept was cool enough, but the way the story was pieced together just didn't give it a cohesive feel for me. The 'secret society within a secret society' theme, reminded me of the storyline in Identity Crisis. As a (mostly) Marvel-girl, I hate to say this, but DC did it much better this time around.
However, it is definitely worth the read because of the inside infor...more
Michael
In retrospect it's pretty obvious that Bendis laid all the seeds here for Marvel's big stories since 2007. Good stuff, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with Tony Stark retconned into a guy who feels responsible for the Earth.
Rod Hilton
Neat idea.

A series of short stories, taking place in the background of well-known Marvel storylines. The Illuminati are a group of leaders in the Marvel Universe made of Black Bolt, Iron Man, Professor X, Namor, Doctor Strange, and Mister Fantastic. And like the name implies, they get involved in some secret operations that they tell nobody else about, to protect other Marvel characters and the universe.

My favorite story had Mister Fantastic attempting to acquire the gems of the Infinity Guantle...more
Eric
Jul 05, 2009 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This is a really cool concept and actually makes some sense. I'm trying to think if something like this has been done before. While it is a team book, I don't think I've seen a team with this level of power. It really lets you explore a whole new level of stories.

For the most part I really liked the stories and how each individual's personality shown through in a new way. Mostly the leaders, Mr. Fantastic, Professor X, Black Bolt, and I guess to a certain extent now Iron Man. They are normally a...more
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Marvelitas eventeros
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Empecemos por lo peor del comic: ¿Cómo puede ser que los Illuminati sean supuestamente los seis tipos más inteligentes de la Tierra y se trate de cuatro ciudadanos estadounidenses y dos monarcas de reinos inventados? ¿Tanto les cuesta a los yanquis pensar en gente inteligente de otros países reales que se tienen que inventar otros para no meter un europeo, un americano (hablando de Panamérica, se entiende), un asiático, un africano, un oceánico? Mirá que tienen para elegir, eh. Pero no, cuatro y...more
Travis
Not a big fan of Bendis writing and this mini had a horrible ripple effect on the marvel universe, but this mini was an interesting idea and pretty entertaining.
A half dozen of the big brains of the MU have banded together as a secret cabal to keep an eye on things.
Sometimes this helps and sometimes they just make things worse.

The dynamic of a group made up of guys that are considered the leaders of their respective groups and put them together. The friction there is interesting, as they have t...more
Daniel A.
Nov 19, 2013 Daniel A. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Marvel obsessives only
Well, that was depressing.

Recently, I sold off my entire collection of comics, but for my bound volumes—trade paperbacks, hardcovers, etc.—and my MAD Magazines. The New Avengers: Illuminati, written by otherwise-wünderkind Brian Michael Bendis (in addition to Brian Reed) and penciled by Jim Cheung, is a "perfect" example of why most comics in general and most superhero comics in particular no longer appeal to me.

In The New Avengers: Illuminati, a cabal of six of the central figures in Marvel Com...more
Jesse
Well, I can't say everyone else will like this but I had a great time reading it.

It kind of inserts some unseen events into past and present Marvel history (Kree/Skrull war, Secret Wars, Civil War,..etc) with what I thought was (but many I showed the book to didn't think was) a cool team up of : Black Bolt, Prof. Charles Xavier, Reed "Mr. Fantastic" Richards, Tony "Iron Man" Stark, Namor the Submariner, and Stephen "Dr. Strange" Strange. They form a kind of meta-team of the big movers and shaker...more
Gavin
I really enjoyed this. The concept of a secret group of the brightest minds in the Marvel Universe coming together to take out threats to the Earth without the knowledge of anyone else...(Iron Man, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Prof. X, Mr. Fantastic, & the Sub Mariner)
They first formed after the Kree-Skrull War (via retcon, but done nicely) and we follow them as they confront major problems, right up to Secret Invasion.
I just liked the concept right out of Plato, of the Philosopher Kings who rul...more
Anthony
I love the Illuminati.

I like the basic concept that Bendis came up with: the secret organization of the world's most powerful super heroes. He manages to tie it into Marvel's history, even though he only created the team prior to Civil War. For me it really works. Seeing these heroes shape and change the Marvel universe, without the rest of their team-mates and family members even knowing. It's also pretty amazing to see Jim Cheung draw the different eras of Marvel. We see Skrulls, Galactus, The...more
Blair
I imagine that because this group of superheroes that meet under the informal moniker of "Illuminati" occurs only every so often that the collection seems spintered.

I always find that the Marvel universe tried too hard to be technical. I did enjoy the bits where they were discussing relationships in an attempt to humanize the characters. The final part of the collection that leads into the Secret Invasion was intriguing. The concept of hidden Skrulls masquerading as Marvel heroes and heroines in...more
Gabriel Wallis
"The New Avengers: Illuminati" was okay. I thought it could've been a little better. It had some amazing things in it that any comic fan would want to see in a graphic novel -the Infinity Gauntlet, the Beyonder, the beginning of the Secret Invasion, etc.- but it didn't pan out. The graphic novel was a collection of short stories that didn't pan out. I was hoping for a little more, I guess. The illustrations were great, though. And there was great character development.
Jack
A group of some of the Marvel Universe's smartest and most powerful characters have been secretly takin' care of business that they think is too dangerous to expose to the rest of the hero community, including blowing up half the Skrull Armada and inadvertently kicking off Secret Invasion! This was a great series of shorts, showing the hubris of these characters and revealing catastrophic threats to the Marvel Universe.
Karl Kindt
Mar 16, 2008 Karl Kindt rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: old school Marvel fans
Maria
Hmmm. My first real foray into comics wasn't wisely chosen. I felt like the kid in the corner who kept missing all the "in jokes". While I knew most of the characters going in, I clearly don't know enough back story to "get it". When you add that to the difficulty I had just parsing all the visual input, it made for a very confusing read.
M Pereira
A great story, this is essentially a series of stories behind the stories from the big plotlines of the past decade in comics. This comic reminds me of why I loved the Skrull saga on the animated 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' series of last year. There is a bit of humour in here but also a great amount of gravitas.
Adam
This book was pretty good. Jim Cheung's art is great and Bendis and Reed's writing is good. More of a series of one shots but provide a new perspective on the Marvel Universe. Definitely worth reading and I would recommend it. I am excited to check out hickman's run of new avengers.
Jason
I'll admit that I got this simply because it had Dr. Strange and Black Bolt. The writing is pretty good and so is the art, but the story left me feeling a bit "meh." This is far from essential reading, but there are enough good characters to warrant reading for some fans.
Matthew James
Absolutely packed stories that carry a lot of weight. Considering that six well-established characters have been taken to write stories for in a group I think this was well done, but a couple of the issues did not seem to pertain to the New Avengers series at all. Forgiveable.
Michael
Bendis is good at teams. This is a great way for Marvel to bring together all of its disparate themes. This also adds a good layer of intrigue to Marvel, where DC has been practicing the great mystery for a while, or so it seems. This exceeds expectations.
Peter
If you even have a vague understanding of the major events in Marvel history, you have got to read this. Reed Richards, Steven Strange and company go on Thanos' Quest!!! And talk about their worst brake ups. Hilarious and exciting. Nuf' said,
William Akin
A thing that could have been very great, could have explored some serious truths about the superhero genre and but fell very short. Bendis sacrifices the deeper meaning for the sake of plot and cleverness.
Matt
This was really cool. Usually when they have too much power, it gets lame, but this one was incredible. A little disjointed as it was interrupted by several events, but still very fun.
Farah Anisa
This came with a great idea.. All the dark heroic came on one figting inter galaxy. But it's too grim? Thought Iron Man could elevated the story, but overall it's just poor execution.
tony
A secret history of some of the Marvel universes most powerful players. Excellent background stories that don't disturb the originals.
Seth
Wow what a great book. For anyone who wants a non traditional view of the "superhero" and what he does look no further. Highly recommened!
Colin
A perfect idea to have the biggest most-powerful Marvel heroes on a team to tackle the biggest issues and threats.
Mark Gunnels
Worth reading if for nothing more to see Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Steven Strange, and Namor discussing women.
Illuminati! 1 3 Jan 17, 2014 11:47AM
  • Spider-Man: The Other
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 1 - Electro & Sandman
  • X-Men: Age of X
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve