Start by marking “The New Avengers: Illuminati” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers: Illuminati

The New Avengers: Illuminati (New Avengers Illuminati)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,077 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Writers Brian Michael Bendis (Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man) and Brian Reed (Ms. Marvel) have joined together with Jim Cheung (Young Avengers) to reveal this untold story of the Marvel Universe and how the Illuminati's actions affect today! This title collects 'New Avengers: Illuminati' numbers one to five.
Hardcover, Premiere HC, 128 pages
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers

The New Avengers, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisAvengers Legends, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekJLA/Avengers by Kurt BusiekAvengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe Avengers by Roy Thomas
Best of the Avengers
17th out of 182 books — 25 voters
Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisDaredevil Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisSecret Invasion by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
10th out of 119 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Terence
May 31, 2016 Terence rated it really liked it
The New Avengers Illuminati describes Earth's best and brightest forming a group many years ago to handle the big decisions. Iron Man, Professor X, Mr. Fantastic, Namor, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt, and The Black Panther meet together at Iron Man's request after The Kree Skull War on Earth. Iron Man wants to form all the Earth's superheroes into an army, but the others don't agree. Black Panther refuses to take any part in this group and the others decide to form The Illuminati.
description

It is interesting to
C.J. Edmunds
Got this graphic novel compilation for the fact that my favorite Marvel character, Dr. Strange figures prominently in it. And to have other Marvel heavy hitters like Iron Man, Professor Charles Xavier and Reed Richards in it was just too tempting to pass up.

Verdict?

I wouldn’t say that it was a must read but given that it prefigures into the reason behind the Secret Invasion, I say that that alone was price of admission.

This edition collects Illuminati 1-5 and shows the collective force of Dr. S
Grace
So, I was interested in reading up on the Civil War arc, you know? Having no idea where to start, and Goodreads being surprisingly unclear, I reached out to the internet and the internet reached back in the form of someone sharing a link with me.

This link gives the order I apparently should read comic books in to get the Civil War arc started.

Unless I read it wrong, this was where I should start. Frankly, I don’t really see it. But I learned more about the Kree and Skrulls, and Infinity Gems, so
Daniel A.
Nov 19, 2013 Daniel A. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel obsessives only
Well, that was depressing.

Recently, I sold off my entire collection of comics, but for my bound volumes—trade paperbacks, hardcovers, etc.—and my MAD Magazines. The New Avengers: Illuminati, written by otherwise-wünderkind Brian Michael Bendis (in addition to Brian Reed) and penciled by Jim Cheung, is a "perfect" example of why most comics in general and most superhero comics in particular no longer appeal to me.

In The New Avengers: Illuminati, a cabal of six of the central figures in Marvel Com
Gavin
Oct 10, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this. The concept of a secret group of the brightest minds in the Marvel Universe coming together to take out threats to the Earth without the knowledge of anyone else...(Iron Man, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Prof. X, Mr. Fantastic, & the Sub Mariner)
They first formed after the Kree-Skrull War (via retcon, but done nicely) and we follow them as they confront major problems, right up to Secret Invasion.
I just liked the concept right out of Plato, of the Philosopher Kings who rul
Brad
Mar 31, 2008 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
The Illuminati, Marvel's secret group of team leaders retconned into existence, gets its own team up book, where they take on the Skrulls, the Beyonder, their ex-girlfriends (sorta) Marvel Boy, and the Infinity Gauntlet. This book provides a logical bridge between two big crossovers, Civil War and Secret Invasion.
All the creators involved are guys I like, but this book feels a bit too much like moving chess pieces around to appease continuity gods. That said, Brian Michael Bendis always writes
Anne
Aug 08, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
I couldn't quite bring myself to give this one 4 stars. To me, it was lacking that special something that great stories have. The concept was cool enough, but the way the story was pieced together just didn't give it a cohesive feel for me. The 'secret society within a secret society' theme, reminded me of the storyline in Identity Crisis. As a (mostly) Marvel-girl, I hate to say this, but DC did it much better this time around.
However, it is definitely worth the read because of the inside infor
J'aime
Apr 18, 2014 J'aime rated it it was amazing
I've read bits and pieces of the Illuminati in various crossover tie-ins. The group has intrigued me since I first came across them: a secret council of genius superheroes including Dr. Strange, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Charles Xavier, Namor and Black Bolt. Black Panther declined to join. After coming across so many pieces, when I reached Secret Invasion I decided to see if there was a collection of the Illuminati- and found this.

The book opens with the Illuminati making the unilateral decisio
Matthew
I read this mistakenly thinking it would be primer material for Civil War. In fact this takes place after Civil War and is a lead in to Secret Invasion and although there are Civil War spoilers, they are nothing I didn't know already.

So here we have marvel's greatest minds (Tony Stark (Iron Man,) Prince Namor (The Submariner,) Charles Xavier (Professor X,) Stephen Strange (Doctor Strange,) Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) and Black Bolt) conspiring and manipulating events in order to (rather impot
B
Apr 04, 2015 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This is a super-fun book.

Namor is kind of a weird choice for this team. He doesn't really have the power that these other guys have. He doesn't add anything by his intellect. He certainly doesn't have the personality that the other guys want around. But the book insists on making his force-first personality the highlight of the book.

I've noticed an awful lot of comicbooks seem to favor torture and violence strategies to resolve conflicts and obtain goals.

Anyway, I'm a little confused about ho
Michael
May 30, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
In retrospect it's pretty obvious that Bendis laid all the seeds here for Marvel's big stories since 2007. Good stuff, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with Tony Stark retconned into a guy who feels responsible for the Earth.
Matt Anderson
Jan 16, 2016 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collects New Avengers: Illuminati issues #1-5

Shortly after the Kree-Skrull War, a secret team of superheroes got together to try to protect the Earth with their own methods. The power players in the Illuminati are:

Tony Stark
Charles Xavier
Black Bolt
Namor
Reed Richards
Dr. Strange

Because of the nature of the story, each issue in this collection takes place during a different part of the history of the Marvel Universe (including post-"The Kree/Skrull War", post-"Secret Wars (1984)," and post-"Infinit
Colm
May 10, 2016 Colm rated it did not like it
This reads like watching Batman v. Superman felt, but I enjoyed it less. No explanations for why anyone does anything and chopping and cutting scenes left, right, and centre. I know I haven't read any of the events that these are supposed to tie in to but these shitty little epilogues really don't stand on their own two feet as a series. They're a superstructure assuming the presence of a base that isn't a given. The characters actions don't even seem to line-up with how they're known to behave ...more
Eric
Jul 29, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheros
This is a really cool concept and actually makes some sense. I'm trying to think if something like this has been done before. While it is a team book, I don't think I've seen a team with this level of power. It really lets you explore a whole new level of stories.

For the most part I really liked the stories and how each individual's personality shown through in a new way. Mostly the leaders, Mr. Fantastic, Professor X, Black Bolt, and I guess to a certain extent now Iron Man. They are normally a
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvelitas eventeros
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano
Empecemos por lo peor del comic: ¿Cómo puede ser que los Illuminati sean supuestamente los seis tipos más inteligentes de la Tierra y se trate de cuatro ciudadanos estadounidenses y dos monarcas de reinos inventados? ¿Tanto les cuesta a los yanquis pensar en gente inteligente de otros países reales que se tienen que inventar otros para no meter un europeo, un americano (hablando de Panamérica, se entiende), un asiático, un africano, un oceánico? Mirá que tienen para elegir, eh. Pero no, cuatro y ...more
Travis
Jun 23, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Not a big fan of Bendis writing and this mini had a horrible ripple effect on the marvel universe, but this mini was an interesting idea and pretty entertaining.
A half dozen of the big brains of the MU have banded together as a secret cabal to keep an eye on things.
Sometimes this helps and sometimes they just make things worse.

The dynamic of a group made up of guys that are considered the leaders of their respective groups and put them together. The friction there is interesting, as they have t
Jesse
Mar 08, 2008 Jesse rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, I can't say everyone else will like this but I had a great time reading it.

It kind of inserts some unseen events into past and present Marvel history (Kree/Skrull war, Secret Wars, Civil War,..etc) with what I thought was (but many I showed the book to didn't think was) a cool team up of : Black Bolt, Prof. Charles Xavier, Reed "Mr. Fantastic" Richards, Tony "Iron Man" Stark, Namor the Submariner, and Stephen "Dr. Strange" Strange. They form a kind of meta-team of the big movers and shaker
Mairi
May 04, 2015 Mairi rated it liked it
This has an interesting premise, with powerful superhero leaders coming together in secret to solve problems. The stories, although short, are decent. The bit about their relationships illustrated just how men-only they are.

The art, however. Cheung seems to prefer small-to-nonexistant closed mouths, especially when the characters are at any distance. Which makes the characters look strange, and rather similar.
Anthony
Mar 30, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
I love the Illuminati.

I like the basic concept that Bendis came up with: the secret organization of the world's most powerful super heroes. He manages to tie it into Marvel's history, even though he only created the team prior to Civil War. For me it really works. Seeing these heroes shape and change the Marvel universe, without the rest of their team-mates and family members even knowing. It's also pretty amazing to see Jim Cheung draw the different eras of Marvel. We see Skrulls, Galactus, The
Kristina
Jan 16, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
A really interesting look at the behind the scenes machinations of this secretive team of superheroes. From the Kree-Skrull war, with its consequences for the recent Secret Invasion, to the truth behind the Beyonder, this makes you reconsider what really happened.
My favourite part has to be their unscheduled lament about their various love-lives.
Earl
Feb 12, 2016 Earl rated it it was amazing
Post-Civil War, I think the Infinity Gauntlet / Secret Invasion are still the best crossovers before the Heroic Age and the Marvel NOW! era. This series, which is set within this same post-CW era, shows how six intelligent men can safeguard the world... but at the same time mess up their own plans.
Jen
Jul 14, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok
This was disappointing. The tidbits that are given away in other Marvel titles are more interesting and fill you in enough on the "Illuminati" (also, they don't call themselves that. As far as I can tell the only purpose is for the title of this volume). I don't really feel like this was necessary for readers of the New Avengers series; this one can be skipped.
Ruby
Dec 31, 2015 Ruby rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
A group of genius superheroes trying to work together to save Earth, but can’t agree on how to do it—clearly setting the stage for upcoming fracture and dissent.
Mike
Jun 18, 2014 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
What they did to the Beyonder knocked it down a star.
Blair
Jan 14, 2010 Blair rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I imagine that because this group of superheroes that meet under the informal moniker of "Illuminati" occurs only every so often that the collection seems spintered.

I always find that the Marvel universe tried too hard to be technical. I did enjoy the bits where they were discussing relationships in an attempt to humanize the characters. The final part of the collection that leads into the Secret Invasion was intriguing. The concept of hidden Skrulls masquerading as Marvel heroes and heroines in
Enrique Peral
Oct 10, 2015 Enrique Peral rated it it was amazing
Preámbulo a «Invasión Secreta».
Username
Aug 17, 2014 Username rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, comics
So awesome!
Marta L
Jul 24, 2016 Marta L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O.O GUAU.
Jedhua
This was loads of fun; the writing was great, plus I think because either the team members were more mature or they just had good chemistry, it lacked the relentless, unfunny, and annoying banter Bendis loves to include in many of his "New Avengers" comics. The ideas present in this volume allow for some fine storytelling and exciting adventures. Also, the art was just gorgeous. I would love to read another set of stories featuring these six characters; they really do make a great team.
Gabriel Wallis
Aug 18, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
"The New Avengers: Illuminati" was okay. I thought it could've been a little better. It had some amazing things in it that any comic fan would want to see in a graphic novel -the Infinity Gauntlet, the Beyonder, the beginning of the Secret Invasion, etc.- but it didn't pan out. The graphic novel was a collection of short stories that didn't pan out. I was hoping for a little more, I guess. The illustrations were great, though. And there was great character development.
Illuminati! 1 4 Jan 17, 2014 11:47AM
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10: New Avengers
  • Nova, Vol. 2: Knowhere
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men
  • X-Statix, Vol. 4: X-Statix vs. the Avengers
  • Iron Man: Director Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

New Avengers (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout