Start by marking “Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature” as Want to Read:

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Veteran NPR science correspondent and award-winning radio and TV journalist Ira Flatow's enthusiasm for all things science has made him a beloved on-air journalist. For more than thirty-five years, Flatow has interviewed the top scientists and researchers on many NPR and PBS programs, including his popular Science Friday spot on Talk of the Nation. In Present at the Future ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Present at the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Present at the Future

Matt
May 01, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
I grabbed this book on a whim from the library when I saw it was written by the host of NPR's 'Science Friday' which is a program I try to catch every week. The book is basically a quick overview/discussion of science and technology issues of the day. Not very in depth, it's just 300 pages or so and tries to cover a couple dozen or so topics, but I found it entertaining and educational. It's definitely not the book for someone who keeps up to the second on these sorts of topics, but for someone ...more
Jeffry
Aug 30, 2008 Jeffry rated it really liked it
As an avid listener of NPR's Science Friday, I really enjoyed reading Ira Flatow's essays about the forefront of science. I learned some cool new facts, including my favorite: that science teachers all over are wrong about how airplanes fly (Bernouli's Principle just doesn't fly.) However, I have to admit that there were a few places that I had to skim instead of reading intently (string theory...) Overall, a very good read.
Dean Gilbert
Nov 07, 2010 Dean Gilbert rated it it was ok
For people who weren't as read up on most of the topics the book covered, it would be a better book. For me, I skipped large sections of it, simply because I knew what the author was talking about.

However, it's great for the explanation on how a plane flies, and why 99% of the people who think they know how it happens, are wrong.
Bridget
Oct 09, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it
This was written by the guy who does Science Friday on NPR. It was an interesting, easy read about a variety of scientific topics. I really liked the chapter on nanotechnology. Especially when it told me that Lancome makes an anti-wrinkle cream with nano-sheres that actually WORK to diminish wrinkles. Totally buying that next.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I'm about halfway through and enjoying it, although the descriptions of the science are more superficial than I expected. The section on the oceans was heartening that despite all our destructive efforts knowledgeable people still have hope for turning conditions around. Good information for my non-science self.
Pamela
I enjoyed the first half of the book of essays here, just haven't returned since March so marking as partial read. Perhaps will return and finish. The book is very much like Ira Flatow's radio science show - Science Friday found on NPR.
Keith Seekwhence
Jun 13, 2009 Keith Seekwhence rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Nano technology, economics, and human psychology are the major intertwining topics, hinting at the misuse of power and misfortunes of a global economy.....mind numbing and I have yet to advance from the second chapter.
Carlburdick
Jan 22, 2012 Carlburdick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got my geek on with this one. Much fascinating science, that makes you yearn for what is to come next. Lots of short easily digestible segments covering a wide variety of scientific frontiers.
Carolyn Fitzpatrick
Aug 03, 2008 Carolyn Fitzpatrick rated it liked it
Shelves: science
I thought the chapters on nanotech and string theory were interesting, but the rest was a review. If you already keep up with science current events then you won't encounter much new material here.
Avi
Apr 17, 2008 Avi rated it it was ok
about a four on a scale of 1-10. The topics are very interesting, but I wasn't thrilled with the writing, as the book read too much like an interview and not enough like...a book.
Vincent
Nov 12, 2015 Vincent rated it liked it
Shelves:
Summary of lots of science as current as the book. If you listen to the author's radio show, it's probably just a good review for you.

Go Newton's Apple!
Andrew
Dec 07, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
If you listen to science friday religiously like i do, this is a good book to pick up and read a chapter here or there to remember good shows.
Christian Holub
It could be a little dry at times, and unfortunately the most interesting parts (string theory/cosmology) were the shortest.
Max Mindock
Jul 19, 2012 Max Mindock rated it liked it
Very basic, brief touches on a wide variety of topics
Jlms
Aug 08, 2008 Jlms rated it it was amazing
Library book.
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Mihai Rusoaie
Mihai Rusoaie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Abigail Bridges
Abigail Bridges marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Mar 07, 2016
Dustin Hamby
Dustin Hamby rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Marc
Marc added it
Feb 25, 2016
Sharyn
Sharyn rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Sevo
Sevo marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Amber B
Amber B marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Casae
Casae marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Discoveries: Great Breakthroughs in 20th-Century Science, Including the Original Papers
  • Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time
  • The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • In Code: A Mathematical Journey
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • Deep Time:: How Humanity Communicates Across Millennia
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • Beyond Numeracy
  • Coming Home to the Pleistocene
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Extinction: How Life on Earth Nearly Ended 250 Million Years Ago
  • The Ingenuity Gap: Can We Solve the Problems of the Future?
  • Brain Fuel: 199 Mind-Expanding Inquiries into the Science of Everyday Life
  • The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World
  • Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown