Start by marking “The Night of Morningstar (Modesty Blaise, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Night of Morningstar (Modesty Blaise, #11)

The Night of Morningstar (Modesty Blaise #11)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
There have been few other female action heroines like Modesty Blaise- a tough orphan who became the leader of the Network, a crime syndicate specializing in art theft and industrial espionage. This 10th book of her adventures begins with a flashback to the last days of the Network, when Modesty was about to retire, and describes the organization's final, astonishing operat ...more
Hardcover
Published by Mysterious Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of Morningstar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of Morningstar

Agathafrye
Pluses:
Kick-ass female protagonist, Modesty Blaise- beautiful, polite, elegant, can kill you in five hundred different ways.
Kick-ass male sidekick, Willie Garvin- perfectly in tune with his boss, stoic, rugged, mad knife skills.
Both Modesty and Willie use meditation and advanced mental techniques to defeat their enemies, thus adding to their general kick-ass-ness.
Interesting setting transitions- these people go everywhere!

Minuses:
These books were written in the sixties and seventies. Sexism ab
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 17, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it
Shelves: spy-fi
I've been on a nostalgia kick lately and rereading some of the books I read or that were around back in my "youth". I went through (along with a lot of America) a spy/intrigue stage back in the 60s/70s. I read the Bond books by Fleming, I was caught up in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and I Spy and read their attendant novels (the ones based on the TV series)...I watched Secret agent/Danger Man, Mission Impossible, saw the 007 and Matt Helm movies. There was also modesty Blaise. I never got around to ...more
Ian Wood
Sep 17, 2014 Ian Wood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Jenne
Oct 17, 2010 Jenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't even know how many times I've read this, and despite its many flaws I have no objectivity when it comes to the Modesty Blaise books. I love them all with big pink sparkly hearts.
Janeece
Apr 29, 2014 Janeece rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very different from the gothic romance that Madeleine Brent writes. It was interesting, but with some stupid love scenes (not descriptive) that didn't do anything for the plot. A lot of trashy talk. Didn't love it. I don't think I'm interested enough to even read another in the series.
Steve
Jan 10, 2008 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In which Modesty and Willie take on "The Watchmen," a bunch of ultra-murderous terrorist assholes whose objectives don't make a whole hell of a lot of sense and plan to, among other heinous acts, blow up the Golden Gate Bridge and assassinate the U.S. President (where are these guys now that we really need them?). As Modesty Blaise books go this is one of the weaker entires, but it's still worth reading and the mayhem-filled set-to on an oil rig is like something out of a James Bond movie (I mea ...more
Luna Raven
May 18, 2012 Luna Raven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carlton, Angel
By page 17 I was ready to read the whole series. Fantastic heroine with clever gadgets, some diy, a loyal ally/best friend and the willingness to go above and beyond to stand against something she doesn't believe in. Early in the book she tackles taking down a known sex trafficker.

The Modesty series is one I fell for years ago thanks to the original 60's movie and I can't wait to read the rest of the books and check out the comic series as well!
Phoebe
Aug 17, 2008 Phoebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite Modesty Blaise book. But I've given them all five stars and I can't be trusted.
rêveur d'art
rêveur d'art marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Koppe
Koppe rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Osse
Osse rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Ian Mackean
Ian Mackean rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Leon Niemandt
Leon Niemandt rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Philip Wiseman
Philip Wiseman marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Maurice
Maurice marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Bob Hollis
Bob Hollis marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Philip Sheppard
Philip Sheppard rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Tegumai Bopsulai
Tegumai Bopsulai rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
AnnieZRH
AnnieZRH rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Helene
Helene rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Magulec
Magulec marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Andrew Moreno
Andrew Moreno marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
  • The Intriguers (Matt Helm, #14)
  • The Long Masquerade
  • Quiller Barracuda
  • First Class Murder (Wells and Wong, #3)
  • The Seersucker Whipsaw
  • Mary Lou at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #37)
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • The Blue Ice
  • Cakes in Space
  • J.D. Robb CD Collection 7: Visions in Death, Survivor in Death, Origin in Death
  • Chasing the Stars

Peter O'Donnell also wrote as Madeleine Brent.

is an excellent resource on this author.

To help keep the novels and the adventure strip collections separate, here's some info about the Modesty Blaise works.

In 1963, O'Donnell began his 38
More about Peter O'Donnell...

Modesty Blaise (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Modesty Blaise (Modesty Blaise, #1)
  • Sabre-Tooth (Modesty Blaise #2)
  • I, Lucifer (Modesty Blaise, #3)
  • A Taste for Death (Modesty Blaise, #4)
  • The Impossible Virgin (Modesty Blaise #5)
  • Pieces of Modesty (Modesty Blaise, #6)
  • The Silver Mistress (Modesty Blaise, #7)
  • Last Day in Limbo (Modesty Blaise, #8)
  • Dragon's Claw (Modesty Blaise, #9)
  • The Xanadu Talisman (Modesty Blaise, #10)