Start by marking “Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs” as Want to Read:
Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs

Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Told through the eyes of current and former Navy SEALs, EYES ON TARGET is an inside account of some of the most harrowing missions in American history-including the mission to kill Osama bin Laden and the mission that wasn't, the deadly attack on the US diplomatic outpost in Benghazi where a retired SEAL sniper with a small team held off one hundred terrorists while his re ...more
Published February 25th 2014 by Center Street (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes on Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes on Target

Casey Hampton
Eyes On Target provides a brief overview of the U.S. Navy SEALS. From its inception to present-day, this book loosely discusses past and present missions, training, and the bureaucratic difficulties within our political landscape.

The subject is interesting. The content felt abridged. This is a short book, too short. When I finished, I wasn't satisfied, but I was ready to be done. There's a tad too much political lecturing. I understand the critical relevance of politics to the subject, but this
Poorly written and sensationalist

I've always been intrigued by the SEALs and bought this book because it promised an inside look. Instead I got very poorly written, soap box name-calling.

The authors switch tense for no reason at all, often in he same paragraph. One moment you're reading the book in past tense and then, all of a sudden, it switches to present tense for 3 sentences, then back to past tense. This is not done for effect, it's just bad writing.

Then there's the tone. The authors say
This is more than a military book. I described this book as part history of the Navy Seals and part failure of our government to protect men they send to foreign countries, more later. The first part of this book goes into some of the history of the Navy Seals, UDT, and Frogmen. The last two were what I had heard stories about. Growing up with a father who served in WWII and then growing up in a military town I would hear stories of these men who would actually had been on the beach before the s ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation's call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed.

Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America's finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life.

Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silen
I gave this book 5 stars for the chapters that Mr. McEwen dedicated to Benghazi. He outlines what went wrong. He also proposes 5 VIABLE options, based on assets at the disposal of the United stated, that could have altered the tragic outcome that will be a black eye in our history.
Tracy Dougherty
Very well researched and extremely real. Tough read both technique and subject matter. As much as we all know that men go to war or volunteer their lives for our freedoms, it is always hard to hear/read (as it should be) of the sacrifice they make; the lives that are lost. The story is more about Benghazi and the mishandling of the security situation there, the timeline of events leading up to and following the attack and a very thorough chronology of what is being done to hold someone (Hillary ...more
This is a book about the start of the navy SEALs and why they were started. The book goes into detail about the importance of the SEALs. The book also depicts the life of the seals and the missions the SEALs did throughout American history. The book always promotes the heroism of the SEALs and there missions.
This was a great book, especially for people interested in the military life style. A Good overall view of the men who serve in the Navy Seals. An interesting insight to their missions and the lives both private and service. I'm not much of a non-fiction reader but this was a good pick.
Noah W
Jun 20, 2014 Noah W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Good book that explores some of the early "pirate" legacy of the SEALs. It also explains home one of the primary thought processes that drives a SEAL's actions, the "Threat/No threat" evaluation method. Very helpful insight.
Amazing insight into the lives of our brave Navy SEALs and how they get things done -- no excuses. Loved the Drago's War chapter. The timeline on Benghazi was also very informative -- our government is still not being completely truthful with us. We should never forget the heroes that have sacrificed so much for our country.
James Richardson
Good book especially the part dealing with how the outcome would have been much different if the government, especially Sec. of State Hillary Clinton had listened to the people there at Benghazi.
Short history of the US Navy SEALs pulled from interview material and declassified material.

Why I started it: I'm on a SEAL kick and this was published recently.

Why I finished this book: The authors seemed balanced about their political/history on the stuff were the material has been declassified and it was fascinating if short. The second half of the book is the more recent missions, triumphs and tragedies. The authors talked about what they could but I felt more preached to about political iss

Very eye opening and riveting. Could not put it down once I started. Great book for anyone that supports our troops.
Very enlightening

I have always held the SEALs as he's and admired their courage. This book make one realize just what sacrifices they make so we can enjoy our freedom.
A must read - especially if you want the low - down on Benghazi!
Jen Labato
This was a hard book for me to get through. Although very factual, it did not hold my interest.
Brent Phillips
A great read if you like military books, are a fan of Scott McEwen's work or are interested in the Navy SEALS and their history. Be Warned: a good portion of the book focuses on Benghazi so if you are very knowledgable about what happened you might not.get as much out of the book. For those that don't know very much about what happened in Benghazi it will be very eye opening.
Alexander Boucher
Alexander Boucher marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
BRADLEY JOSTSONS marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Rachel Pope
Rachel Pope is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2015
Dawn McDonough
Dawn McDonough marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden
  • Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing Alaskan Rescue That Became a Legend
  • Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16
  • Inside SEAL Team Six: My Life and Missions with America's Elite Warriors
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World (Great Courses, #3810)
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • Navy SEAL Sniper: An Intimate Look at the Sniper of the 21st Century
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • Service: A Navy SEAL at War
  • Operation Dark Heart: Spycraft And Special Ops On The Frontlines Of Afghanistan- And The Path To Victory
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • American Warrior: The True Story of a Legendary Ranger
  • Two Souls Indivisible: The Friendship That Saved Two POWs in Vietnam
Scott McEwen is a trial attorney in San Diego, California. He grew up in the mountains of Eastern Oregon where he became an Eagle Scout; hiking, fishing, and hunting at every opportunity presented. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Oregon and thereafter studied and worked extensively in London, England. Scott works with and provides support for several military charitable organizations, incl ...more
More about Scott McEwen...

“because the ends justified the means. Drago’s” 1 likes