Start by marking “Pentecost (Arcane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pentecost (Arcane, #1)

Pentecost (Arkane #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,653 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
A power kept secret for 2000 years. A woman who stands to lose everything.

India. When a nun is burned alive on the sacred ghats of Varanasi, and the stone she carried is stolen, an international hunt is triggered for the relics of the early church.

Forged in the fire and blood of martyrs, the Pentecost stones have been handed down through generations of Keepers who kept the
ebook, Kobo edition
Published (first published January 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pentecost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pentecost

Graham Downs
Jan 10, 2014 Graham Downs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Having developed a great respect for the author through her Twitter and YouTube accounts, I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time.

I have to say it's not really what I expected. I rather expected the title to be more metaphorical, that it would be a thriller with only passing hints (at best) at Christianity. What I got was something deeply entrenched in Christian history and tradition (and some extra bits made up and thrown in). Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing!

Aspects o
Seeley James
May 30, 2012 Seeley James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan Sierra, an Oxford psychologist and former Israeli Army conscript, finds herself the target of an attack by a shadowy group of religious fanatics known as Thanatos. Her sister and niece are kidnapped by another religious whacko and Morgan is left to save everyone. Luckily, a military hunk from a long forgotten branch of the English bureaucracy called ARKANE offers a helping hand. Sorta. We understand early on that ARKANE and Morgan have differing end games planned. Nonetheless, they work t ...more
Joel Friedlander
Oct 27, 2011 Joel Friedlander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: designed-by-me
I really enjoyed this debut thriller from the multi-talented Joanna Penn. The first in a projected series of thrillers based on religious and cultural history, it features an engaging heroine in Morgan Sierra, a secretive underground organization and some creepy villains.

The book is a little like a Dan Brown novel but with better writing. The action moves from one exotic locale to another but you'll be surprised just how much you learn about early church history along the way.

It kept me going u
Werner
Apr 18, 2012 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pentecost is Joanna Penn’s debut thriller novel and it’s a good one.

Morgan and her sister are keepers of two of the 12 Pentecost stones once carried by the Apostles. The stones came from the roc
Kristen Jett
As found on Pen and Muse

Secret KJ fact: I am OBSESSED with the Indiana Jones movies. (Not counting the last one, because no.) So the thought of reading a book with a character like Indiana Jones, but female had me bouncing for joy. I didn’t always relate to her, but I did admire her. I’m drawn to novels with strong female protagonists, and found Morgan Sierra to fit the bill. Morgan Sierra is pretty kick-ass…or at least she used to be before she gave up her Special-Ops life to live a more qui
Tony
Feb 07, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mix history, fast-action and fiction together and you get Joanna Penn's debut novel, Pentecost. Each page prompts you to turn to the next one, making it difficult for you to put this book down. This thriller is set in the Christian history that most are familiar with, but takes a new look at it through the author's creative and intriguing fiction that is woven throughout the story. The characters, plot and action weave together keep your interest piqued on every page. A lot of comparisons have b ...more
Stephen Clynes
May 15, 2016 Stephen Clynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follow Morgan Sierra as she searches for the Pentecost stones in this thriller about religious relics.

Joanna writes a wonderful and entertaining thriller that should appeal to all readers regardless of their faith or views on religion. Her book has a lovely mix of fact and fiction. There is lots of history and background in this story which is gently explained. You do not need to be a religious scholar to understand what is going on because as this story unfolds, the characters explain both the
Jordan McCollum
Oct 10, 2011 Jordan McCollum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, kindle, free
I followed the author a while back and was really excited to be offered a free review copy.

Despite some minor copyediting problems, I really enjoyed this book. While I knew the stones were a fictional device, I was content to suspend my disbelief. The adventure moved along so quickly that I read the book in about twelve hours--including taking time off to be a mom. It's Da Vinci Code meets Indiana Jones.

Unlike the author, I do not have an advanced degree in Theology, but I was able to follow and
Marc
Jun 25, 2012 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I've read a thriller and I was looking for an enthralling one. Sadly, this was not the case here. I had one too many problems with Pentecost and it seemed like every time I got over one, another one popped up or returned.

For example, in the beginning, there were some interesting ideas that I wanted to think or learn about. I never got a chance because the sentences were really long and kept going, along with these huge paragraphs of description, which felt like everything
Toni Osborne
Book 1, in the Arkane series

Also under the title “Pentecost”

This fast-paced and highly imaginative story weaves a mix of Indiana Jones thrilling action into a tale that explores ancient myths and religion à la Dan Brown.

“Stone of Fire” brings Morgan Sierra, a knowledgeable Oxford individual with an Israeli Special forces background to work with Jake Timber, a handsome Arkane operative, their quest is to find the twelve “Pentecost stones” taken from the tomb of Jesus Christ by the apostles. The s
Dava Stewart
Apr 09, 2013 Dava Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect book for vacation. It entertains, yet doesn't demand too much. Reading it made me wish I was at the beach - not because it is set at the beach, but because it's exactly the kind of book I'd read while at the beach.

Joanna Penn has been compared frequently to Dan Brown, and it's an apt comparison. Pentecost is action-packed, with the main characters circling the globe in about a week. There are bad guys, good guys, and secrets unrevealed.

My main criticism is that one of the b
John Bowen
Jan 10, 2015 John Bowen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love few things more than a story featuring mystery, history, inventive mythology, great characters, and a jumbo, catering-sized quantity of action (which probably explains why I wrote one myself recently).

JF Penn's Pentecost doesn't disappoint.

Great fun.

- John Bowen is the author of 'Vessel' and 'Where the Dead Walk'. You can find him here on GoodReads, and his published work at Amazon.
Wayne Marinovich
Jan 26, 2015 Wayne Marinovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A engaging read that is laced with action across several destinations, which are the types of books I love. Well researched and thought out, with good character development.

Look forward to reading the second in the series
Meredith Cottrell
Very interesting book! Can't wait for the next one!
Andrew Montooth
May 23, 2012 Andrew Montooth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of: thrillers, Steve Berry, James Rollins
Recommended to Andrew by: the author via podcast
I stumbled across Joanna Penn while looking for writing podcasts to take on a long drive. Her podcasts were the most relevant and insightful I’ve found anywhere. And her straightforward references to her own novels (prudent not pushy) intrigued me. If the podcasts were that good, was her writing? So I picked up PENTECOST and PROPHECY, the first two volumes in her ARKANE series. I’ve reviewed the first here, and am working on a separate review for the second.

Morgan Sierra, an Oxford psychologist
S.W.
Nov 25, 2015 S.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, owned
Set in some spectacular locations
I can’t quite remember how I heard about Stone of Fire, but I do know I picked it up from Amazon. As soon as I saw the cover it had me hooked. It looked exciting and I’m a sucker for a good cover.

The book starts off well as we are witness to the tragedy of a poor old lady being robbed of a sacred stone. Her demise was a strong start that made me want to know why such a thing could happen.

Soon after, our heroine, Morgan, is introduced to the story. She also has a
Werner
Mar 17, 2012 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pentecost is Joanna Penn's debut thriller novel and it's a good one. The hero, Morgan Sierra, is a biblical scholar and an Oxford trained clinical psychologist. Before becoming an academic she was a member of the Israeli Defense Forces, where she was trained in combat and uses the self-defense art of Krav Maga to kick some serious ass in this fast-paced religious thriller.

Gina
You never know what you are going to get when you get a freebie from the Kindle store, but Pentecost was a wonderful surprise. Yes, I thought it would be a cheap, low rate, Dan Brown type of book. However, I have to admit that I loved it. It was just as good as any Dan Brown book and I plan on reading more of the series. The plotline is original and full of adventure. I was on the edge of my seat and read the book in about 2 days. Morgan Sierra is a psychologist who specializes in religious psyc ...more
Andy Beau
Jan 02, 2012 Andy Beau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend Joanna Penn's first book, Pentecost, the start of an exciting new action-adventure lost-artifacts series. This novel chronicles the adventures of Morgan Sierra, an ex-Israeli secret ops turned Oxford religion professor, and Jake Timber, an agent of ARKANE. ARKANE is a super-secret British government agency involved with the many mysterious lost, and sometimes highly dangerous, ancient artifacts of the world. Morgan and Jake must travel around Europe, North Africa, the Middle E ...more
Neil
Feb 20, 2016 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You never really know what you are going to get when you opt for a free book, such was the case with this one. At that time the book was titled as "Pentecost", and had burrowed away into my Kindle where it had sat hidden until the other day. Having just finished a series of books I felt it was time to read something slightly different.
Imagine the Indiana Jones films added to the Da Vinci Code, but with a female main character. This is similar in feel to the Lara Croft films but without the wall
Aurelia Casey
This is a great book for learning about places that are historically significant to early Christianity. However, it is clear that this is a debut novel, and that J.F. Penn was more accustomed to non-fiction and academic writing before writing this work.

The pacing didn't feel like a thriller, to me. It felt more like historical fiction. The descriptions are long, and there were a number of scenes where characters needed to find something (either physical or informational) but stopped to ponder t
Nicko
Dec 19, 2014 Nicko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable enough book written by an author who has clearly done a lot of research and knows her subject matter. I also did enjoy the fact that the hints of Christianity and faith were not preaching to the reader but were there more as evidence of the world Morgan (the main heroine) lives in.

Yet, unfortunately the book also suffers from a few problems:

- Morgan is really unlikable. She is described as someone with smarts and muscle but at times her logic seems to be anything but. Simple decisions
Roop
Feb 15, 2016 Roop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A nice thriller from J.F.Penn, I received this eBook as free from Amazon. The story is about to gather the Pentecost stones also known as the stones of 12 apostles. And all these stones are scattered over the sacred places of earth. Once every thousand years a comet named as Resurgam will appear, during that period when these 12 stones are gathered will give unknown powers to the possessor.

Present time the comet is going to appear, thousand year legends becomes fact. Dr.Morgan Sierra and her tw
Mark Tilbury
Dec 13, 2014 Mark Tilbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Morgan Sierra finds herself with very little time to gather 12 pieces of stone before a comet passes over Earth on Pentecost and her sister and niece are hurt. Or worse!

The stones, believed to have once been with the 12 Apostles on the first Pentecost, are wanted by many people and not all for good reasons. If Morgan can't gather them all and avoid the dangers of such a task then it won't be just her and her sister's family in trouble, everyone could be.

This book is action packed from the beginn
Diane
Jan 13, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a fast read and had to know what next was happening The book takes you on one action thrill ride.
There are many twist to keep you looking for what next is to happen.

Joanna Penn is a great writer. She knows how to keep you glued to the story. You find yourself traveling with Margan Sierra all over the world to find what is called the Apostle stones. They are known to bring great power to the one that owns them.

Margan Sierra once served in the Israel IDF and
Kim
Dean Winstanley
Dec 28, 2013 Dean Winstanley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually interested in ancient religion but this brilliant novel was fascinating, with wonderful descriptions and fiction that was cleverly woven into this subject to create a thrilling plot. The comparisons between the main protagonist Morgan Sierra and that other globe-trotting heroine (Lara Croft) are inevitable but as a fan of Tomb Raider and the character this was a delight. Morgan's one of those wonderful female leads who has it all: the looks, the brains and the balls. But she's no ...more
Caroline
A religious conspiracy thriller from the School of Dan Brown.

Reading Brown's first book was such a painful experience that I cast it aside after only ten pages. I had the same reaction to this clone.

I've never been a fan of 'fast-moving' thrillers with short chapters and frenetic scene changes. I don't suffer from ADD and don't appreciate an author (or movie maker or documentary director) assuming that I do.

Five pages into Pentecost I began to think, "Here we go again." Five pages later the life
Mary
I had mixed emotions about this book. While there was potential, in the end I found it mediocre at best. I was looking forward to a kickass, female version of Indiana Jones as promised in several reviews but the action scenes in particular were decidedly unsatisfying. They seemed hurried and unfinished. I think the author hasn't yet developed a talent for writing a fully developed action scene. I also thought the villian's motivation was weak. I can understand wanting to facilitate his twin brot ...more
Julia Stein
Jun 02, 2014 Julia Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch macht Spaß! Ich lese an sich außer Ausnahme-Bestsellern wie Da Vinci Code etc. nur wenige echte Thriller, und eigentlich nur dann, wenn ich mir zudem „nebenher“ einen Wissenszuwachs erwarte und es spannend wird: Das alles trifft auf diesen Thriller zu. Es geht um die Jagt nach uralten Steinen, die laut den biblischen Erzählungen zu Pfingsten fantastische Kräfte entwickeln und die Schicksale der verschiedensten Figuren verknüpfen. Das Buch ist sehr gut geschrieben, spielt an Schauplät ...more
Aurelia's Virtual...: Pentecost by J.F. Penn 1 7 Jan 20, 2015 12:31PM
  • The Amun Chamber
  • Death in the Beginning
  • The Lance (The Project, #2)
  • Secret of the Scroll (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, #1)
  • The Getaway (Sam Archer, #2)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • The Delphi Agenda
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • The Golden Crystal
  • Immortal Plague (The Judas Chronicles #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Secret of the Thorns
  • The Cana Mystery
  • Black Coke
  • The Psalter
  • The Sacred Cipher (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #1)
  • Unauthorized Access
  • Freezing Point
I'm the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the ARKANE thriller series, and the London Psychic series.

The fast-paced ARKANE thrillers weave together historical artifacts, global locations, a kick-ass protagonist and a hint of the supernatural. Described by readers as a female Indiana Jones meets The Da Vinci Code.

One Day In Budapest is a chilling view of a possible future as Eastern
More about J.F. Penn...

Arkane (9 books)
  • Crypt of Bone (Arkane #2)
  • Ark of Blood (Arkane #3)
  • One Day In Budapest (Arcane, #4)
  • Day of the Vikings (Arkane, #5)
  • Gates of Hell (Arkane #6)
  • One Day in New York (Arkane, #7)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (Arkane, #8)
  • End of Days (Arkane #9)

“blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. ” 2 likes
“trapped scholars and all who worshipped at their feet into ancient thought patterns with no room for change or progress.” 0 likes