Boy Scout Handbook

Boy Scout Handbook

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,194 ratings  ·  63 reviews

The original Boy Scouts Handbook standardized American scouting and emphasized the virtues and qualifications for scouting, delineating what the American Boy Scouts declared was needed to be a “well-developed, well-informed boy.” The book includes information on the organization of scouting, signs and signaling, camping, scouting games, and a description of several scoutin

Paperback
Published November 1st 1998 by Boy Scouts of America (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Scout Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Scout Handbook

The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn IgguldenBoy Scout Handbook by Boy Scouts of AmericaSteven Caney's Kids' America by Steven CaneyAmerican Boys Handy Book by Daniel Carter BeardThe Kids' Kitchen Take-Over by Sara Bonnett Stein
Children's How-To Books
2nd out of 8 books — 7 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
A Book My Father Gave Me
53rd out of 267 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
It is sinful to maintain an homophobia while trout-fishing in the nude.
Alex Burk
I can now start fires
Debbie Tabb
Item Title: Boy Scout Handbook (The Centennial Edition)

Item Call Number: HS3313 .B69 2009 ISBN- 978-0839531029
Reviewed in: LME 508

Boy scout handbook. (12th ed.).(2010).Irving, TX: Boy Scouts of America.

Relevance and Relationship—
Spiral bound, best for remaining open while consulting for information, is $ 14.99. This Boy Scout handbook is the Centennial edition and contains references to original methods used in Scouting alongside advances made in the 100 years of its existence.

Purpose:—
The inf...more
R.
Actually, never made it to boy scout, but read the book in preparation.

Am a former cub scout that was, in the words of a poet, "seduced by Iron Maiden's mirror worlds."

Also, there were controversies with the Pinewood derby (No, you can't hollow out the bottom of your car and place a lead sinker; even more, you can't just let your dad carve the entire car for you).

There should be some sort of GED program for guys like me who dropped out of scouting - some way we can earn our Arrows of Light, etc....more
Adam Bruski
I got the idea to read this from a post on the Art of Manliness website. It is a fascinating mix of the outdated and timeless. While discussions of "Indian braves" make the book seem out of touch with modern sensibilities, the discussions of service and patriotism ring as true today as ever. The advertisements in the book are a fascinating time capsule as well.
Phillip
Ah, yes. The Boy Scout Handbook Some years they are wonderful, other years the members believe the editors have lost their way.

But, some of my best memories are associated with being a Boy Scout leader. This book is an important part of instruction to teach young people to grow into good, healthy citizens.
Michael Tuggle
Gotta give my friend Jay Tom the assist on including this one. Easily one of the most influential books of the 20th century. I am a huge proponent of Boy Scouts and wish more people understood the value of the program. Talk about changing millions of lives.
Jessica
Title:
Boy Scouts Handbook The First Edition 1911
Author: Boy Scouts of America

Item Call Number:
ISBN-13: 978-1616081980

Location:

Description:
This is a reprint of the very first Boy Scouts Handbook, complete with the wonderful vintage advertisements that accompanied the original 1911 edition, now in full color. Over 40 million copies of this book have been distributed since its first publication nearly 100 years ago.

Relevance and Relationship:
The book inclu...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
I didn’t read this book word by word, but I did scan through it and read the outline of the different chapters. There is no reason for me to read a book like this except to finish through a list I have given myself, but there is something important for me in a book like this. Boy Scouts is an idea that is not really available in every country, but the concept of having an organization for young boys (and girls) is something that is repeated in a lot of places.

The reason it interests me to some d...more
Lauren Fynboe
Dec 01, 2013 Lauren Fynboe marked it as to-read
Shelves: reference
Boy Scouts of America. (2010). The boy scout handbook (12th ed.). Irving, TX: Boy Scouts of America.

Citation by Lauren Fynboe

Reference Type: Handbook

Call Number:

Description: Content Scope-This handbook presents practical information that leads readers to gain both knowledge and independence. Accessibility & Diversity-While it is published by the Boy Scouts, its information is relevant for girls and boys, young and old. Accuracy, Authority, & Bias-The first edition of this book was publi...more
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2012 Rebecca added it
Shelves: reference
Citation: Birkby, R. (2009). The boy scout handbook (12th ed.) . Irving, TX : Boy Scouts of America.

Citation by: Rebecca Tabb

Call Number: J369.43 BOY

Description: The 12th edition of this classic publication covers all things related to scouting, woodcraft, and camping.

Relevance and Relationship: A great source of information for elementary age boys involved with Boy Scouts or interested in the topics scouts learn.

Purpose: To provide a source of information for scouts.

Validity: Published since 19...more
Jason
This book is one of the bestselling books of all time. This is no surprise as it is the "Bible" of a great organization; Boy Scouts of America. It's definitely packed with a ton of helpful information, both for the savvy outdoorsman or the novice. I was pleased to find that I knew most of the information simply from being a Scout throughout my life (this shows that I had some good leaders along the way) and I feel that I truly have benefited from this knowledge while backpacking, giving service...more
Veiltender
Nov 13, 2008 Veiltender rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who need to know outdoor skills.
Recommended to Veiltender by: my Father
So, you wouldn't reckon the Boy Scout Handbook needs reviewing, but by gum I'm going to review it anyway. This book is, of course, necessary to go up the ranks in the BSA, containing as it does "The Trail to Eagle." However, at its core it isn't primarily about advancement. The first edition title had the right of it A Handbook for Boys. This book is full of useful information about tying knots, first aid, wilderness survival, and a plethora of other useful skills, all arranged in a simple easy...more
Shanley Pedro
Dec 13, 2007 Shanley Pedro rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: it complicated
holla.

i was a member of an inner city scout troop, wouldnt change that for the world. respect the issues of the scouts in a broader sense, but cant deny what i learned. this book has touchstones on life, respect, honor, honesty, faith in humanity, survival, endurance, service, and tollerance. if more people knew what was in this book, the world would be a better place. i see how the scouts has made bad decisions and involved itself in biggotry from a company standpoint, but that detracts from t...more
Philip
Jan 13, 2009 Philip rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
Recommended to Philip by: My father
This is the latest edition (11th) of the Boy Scout Handbook, which first came out in 1911 as the Handbook for Boys, a title it held through the 5th Edition. This 11th edition is about to be replaced this year or next by the new centennial 12th edition. I grew up with the 6th, that was out from . It was the sesquicentennial edition.

This is a fabulous book for learning all sorts of outdoor and survival skills, physical fitness, character development, preparation for active citizenship, and leaders...more
Jason May
This was my father's edition but as an Eagle Scout I am familiar with the topics discussed in this edition (of which many have not changed). In a way it is comforting to know we were both taught similar techniques on camping and first aid. However it is much more of a collector's piece with sentimental value. With it's Norman Rockwell cover it harkens back to a time of "Ozzie & Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver".
Andrej
The only book you ever need. Describes tracking, camping, citizenship, nature, and a slew of other things that everyone should know about. If everyone really read this book, courtesy would be reestablished and crime would disappear. Read, or at very least skim this book. Every page has something that might change the way you think. Found for free on gutenburg.
Justiciar
This is so much more useful than modern versions. It's also a fun look into the past. Knowing how to tie several different kinds of knots is still useful in today's world. Not to mention, I still respect and honor the values taught by the Boy Scouts.
Dakota
Everything you need to know and nothing you don't. A treasure trove of information and lessons on being a good citizen and good person.

Even now as an Eagle Scout I have kept this book in my collection as a reminder of hard work and fruition.
Doug
This is a how-to book for all ages and people. Scouts and scouters should read this marvelous book, as well as family members and anyone else interested in . . . well, truthfully anyone interested in anything can find something in this book.
Danny
I don't know why I didn't think of this book. During my early teen years I practically memorized this book, not only the content but every photo, illustration, drawing, diagram and description. Up until I was 15 this was important stuff.
James Pittman
The 11th Edition of the Boy Scouts of America Handbook is filled with outstanding information for values, camping, hiking, and lots more. The handbook also has outstanding citizenship, first aid, cooking, and lots more.
Patrick
Excellent book! Hearkens back to a simpler time and provides good instruction to those needing a bit of it. practicality of outdoorsmanship is of question, but a very nice book to read if you are a scout.
Jason Barnhart
Don't forget what our grandparents and great grandparents knew. A little well moderated conformity can be a good thing and in this day and age we are lilkely all in need of revisiting some forgotten ideals.
Stookie Havers
A wonderful resource filled with all kinds of tips from identifying edible mushrooms, trees and birds to how to make a tent and light a fire without matches. There's a whole chapter on Chivalry too!
Aaron
I'm not a boy scout as my family could never afford it, but I was given a copy. There is a lot of cool, useful facts and skills explained. Highly recommend to anybody who ever plans to go camping.
Brad Godfrey
Teaches a lot of good outdoors-men skills that also teach confidence and leadership skills.
I never got my eagle but this book is a good resource for basic outdoors-man/Personal knowledge.
Sergey
That was a very good and useful book. I found lots of interesting facts and improved my knowledge over different things. The last several pages were mostly uninteresting though.
Trenton
This is the special edition handbook for BSA celebrating 100 years. This the only handbook of BSA that I own but compared to the older versions this one is great.
Joe
The earlier versions were better than the current, however this one book still contains almost all of the information/knowledge that a young man (or woman) should know.
Never put it down! 1 7 Dec 14, 2008 09:22AM
  • The Great Railway Bazaar
  • Children's Songbook
  • A River Runs Through It and Other Stories
  • Politics
Cub Scount Bear Handbook Spiral Bound Fieldbook Webelos Scout Book Cub Scout Tiger Cub Handbook (Tiger Cub) Order Of The Arrow Handbook