Start by marking “Dirty Red” as Want to Read:
Dirty Red

Dirty Red (Dirty Red #1)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,283 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Mischievous and manipulative, eighteen-year-old Red is an expert at deception with a provocative femininity. She employs her dirty ways - even faking a pregnancy with her boyfriend - to win a closet full of Gucci bags, a deluxe condominium full of baby accessories, a new car, and a book deal.
But when one of Red's scams backfires and she winds up truly pregnant by her inma
Published July 24th 2007 by Atria Books (first published July 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Red

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahPush by SapphireTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsB-More Careful by Shannon HolmesThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Good Urban Literature
13th out of 146 books — 259 voters
G-Spot by NoireThe Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahAddicted by ZaneThe Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteEvery Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida Clark
Best Urban Fiction
46th out of 212 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Garren
Dec 21, 2013 Garren rated it it was ok
I had heard enough negative remarks about urban fiction and Triple Crown Publications. Just had to pick something up to see what the craze is all about and to have something to say the next time I heard, "Oh, we wouldn't carry those kind of books here!" Dirty Red is written by the owner of Triple Crown and a fair amount of this novel concerns the writing and publishing of urban fiction. It gets very meta; almost like self-advertising, but it's done in such an outrageous way that no one is going ...more
Brooklyn Darkchild
Jun 02, 2008 Brooklyn Darkchild rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want a quick juicy read and aren't too picky about mechanics.
Recommended to Brooklyn by: I stole it from my daughter.
I had high expectations for this book. I really wanted to like it, especially since the author is from Ohio, and is called "The Queen of Urban Fiction."
BUT...
I wasn't that crazy about it.
It started off with a bang, and I was on fire, but somewhere along the line I honestly stopped caring about Red and what happened to her. It wasn't the story line, there were plenty of juicy tidbits, I just wished Ms Stringer had spent more time letting the story tell itself instead of explaining away all of t
Ama Major
Jan 05, 2012 Ama Major rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fiction
I really enjoyed the book. Although there were some in consistencies. Like how they claim Red is 18 but goes way back to 1995 to show when she met Blue at 15. But I love the secondary story-lines too about her friends and their lives. Especially the whole Terry- Mekel- Kera thing. Loved it. Overall it was a nice read. But if you think too much like me the inconsistencies may annoy you a little bit.
Rosie
Oct 11, 2009 Rosie rated it did not like it
filthy! I knew the subject matter would be "gritty" but this just seemed like the author was just trying to be as filthy as possible with no real story line.
I quit reading it after a few pages when it was clear it was nasty and just going to be more of the same.

Hated it and would not recommend it at all.
Stephanie Noonchester
Sep 29, 2015 Stephanie Noonchester rated it did not like it
wanted to like this book but couldn't. Not happy with how it added to all the stereotypes of us urban folk. Thought I was going to enjoy the queen of urban fiction but she kinda pissed me off a disappointed me. I grew up in the projects. I know hood slang fluently, but it still hurt my head to read it so heavy in the dialog.
Kevin
Apr 22, 2010 Kevin rated it did not like it
I have my guilty pleasures and reading "street lit" is one of them. So I am not looking for great writing, but I couldn't get in to this. Triflin characters from the start( so I could feel for anybody. Then the story line goes from okay to bad with the ending the worst.
Black Carrie
Nov 10, 2014 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing
This was truly a fast paced action packed novel. Raven "Red" Gomez was the kind of character that you love to hate. The reader will find themselves rooting for Red in her scheming. She has nothing but snakes around her,they all want something from her. Although Red is greasy herself she does have a heart. I was reading this book so fast my heart started to to palpitate the only thing that made me mad was that it was over toooooo soon. Well peeps Vickie has done the damn thing again. RED IS BLACK ...more
Di'amond
A girl named Red life unravels right before her eyes, when the sequence of events start turning the wrong way. Being a Player takes a lot of work and skills, Using her motive to never fall in love and to get as much money as she can get, back fired on her when she accidently falls in love. lying to say she was pregnant to get money or steal it was the life red played, she felt she was in a game and she was the player, and she will aliminate anyone thats in her way. everything red had was set up ...more
Zorianny Beriguete
Dirty Red is funny fiction book writen by Vickie M Stringer . This book talks about ravens (red) silly but yet impacting life. Raven was raped as a little girl by her step father. that left a scare in her heart her mom didnt defeand her when she told her about what happen. Raven meets Bacon. A drug dealer but he shows her a good time.but Raven doesn't belive in love.
Bacon was arrested for supposibly killing someone. Then raven found Q. he is a street thug looking for love. They get into a relat
Nunniee
Mar 14, 2014 Nunniee rated it it was amazing
Yasssssssss ! I liked this book. It was different from what I am used to. Red is one sneaky bitch for real but once I learned her story I felt more so sympathy than hatred and disgust for her. She had it rough but she's still hella fake. Some of the stuff she pulled off had me like wtf . Thank goodness Q came to his scenes even though she almost died . I hope he holds it down for her . Terry is insecure and dumb af kidnapping a baby . Congrats to Melekah & Kera. at least they had a happy end ...more
Lady Shabash
Jul 04, 2015 Lady Shabash rated it it was amazing
Dirty Red! I couldn't get enough of this book. I actually borrowed this book from a classmate in high school; I had finished it up in about two days and gave it back to her. So recently I've been looking for the book to read again to kinda refresh my memory of all the details. I couldn't remember the name of the book but boom I fount the book on this app. Ha ha but very good book tho. I'm going to purchase the book so I can reread the book and add t to my collections.
Jahmilla2010
May 09, 2008 Jahmilla2010 rated it really liked it
Lefty
May 29, 2014 Lefty rated it it was amazing
That bitch Red was a grimy as bitch! lol if you a square and don't know about grimy females well u can learn a little something....
Aneyah
Nov 09, 2012 Aneyah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: conflict
The main character is Raven, but she is called Red by all her friends. She is a user. She uses men for money. She cons them in to paying her bills, buying her clothes, and buying her expensive jewelry. She wasn’t always like this. She became this way when her first love broke her heart, and left her with nothing. She finally got over him but was stuck in her ways of using men. One of the men she used went to jail, and Red didn’t help him because he couldn’t help her from jail. When he got out he ...more
Anna Turnitsa
May 31, 2015 Anna Turnitsa rated it really liked it
Couldn't put the book down and finished it in one day. It was fast paced and vulgar. I even got a good laugh.
Marguerita
Mar 17, 2015 Marguerita rated it it was ok
Shelves: public-library
Heard about this author and book from a friend. After seeing some of the reviews on Goodreads, I decided to read it. I felt as if I knew what was going to happen next. For me this book was just okay.
Prima Donna
Danijasmine
I like!!
Necia
Jun 26, 2008 Necia rated it did not like it
Vickie Stringer is the authoress of 1 of my favorite book duo's, Let that be the reason, and Imagine This! This book had me constantly glancing to the cover to see who wrote this. It wasn't as good as the author's other books, and it was a bit over the top. Alot of characters, and at I'm not even sure what the story line was. The ending was open ended which means there will probably be a sequel. I'm not even anxious to find out if there is.
Ria
Sep 12, 2014 Ria marked it as to-read
kpk
Khyrra
Jul 30, 2008 Khyrra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants drama, action, love, sensuality, everything...lol this book is it.
This book solidified it, I was an instant fan of Vickie Stringer. I borrowed this book from a friend and had it back to her in two days. Awesome read. Oh, and the ending will DEFINITELY leave you wanting more. :0) And I just found the sequel and added it to my to read list. :0) I can't wait to pick up and find out if Bacon catches up to Red & Q....yea it's like that. A page turner.
Keelah19
Apr 24, 2008 Keelah19 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very good book. I read this book in about 2 days. I just couldn't put the book down. Every page had it's own story in it.

The book ended in a good way. I think there is going to be a second book. And I will be reading the one to.

I would recommend this book to someone that likes to read books dealing with drama. I think ths book

Angelia
Oct 24, 2010 Angelia rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
This was my first read by this author and it was just an OKAY read to me....there were parts of the book when I was asking myself what was the point....Will more than likely read the others just to know what happen with Red and the rest of the crew...Guess I am one of those people who has to complete the series once they start it...
Mikylah Hutchinson
Jun 11, 2010 Mikylah Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Vickie M. Stringer is another one of my Favorite authors, her style of writing is similiar to Meesha Mink's. The Character Red is so realistic that when your reading Dirty Red it feels as if your in the book with her. When I got done reading it immediately started looking for a sequel and i found it ( Still Dirty ) a Absoulute MUST READ.
Natina El
Aug 23, 2013 Natina El rated it liked it
Its been a long time since I read a book and had no idea how it was going to end even down to the last page. I guess that's the downside of always reading good vs evil. It was a lil vulgar for my taste, but not as bad as some others in this genre I've read, well written,great plot that was wrapped up well. .. I liked it.
Kandii
Apr 08, 2008 Kandii rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book and it was overall a good book. the book taught me the saying "what's done in the dark will come to the light" is true. The main character in this book Red does a lot of dirty deeds and at the end she has to pay the consequences
Mschell
Apr 24, 2013 Mschell rated it really liked it
I love this whole series. The character Red is one slimy character, you can't keep doing everybody you come across dirty, even the man you love. All I can say eventually one day all the wrong doing she does to people is gonna catch up to her one day.
30TinyToes
Oct 13, 2012 30TinyToes rated it really liked it
I read this book awhile back but I can remember how SCANDALOUS Red was! She got what she wanted when she wanted for a while but her luck ran out. There were some jaw dropping moments in this book. Hence, it's a must read if you enjoy urban fiction.
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Black & Ugly
  • Crack Head (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Grindin'
  • Riding Dirty on I-95
  • Hold U Down
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • A Gangster's Girl
  • Payback Is a Mutha (Payback #1)
  • Hood Rat
  • Wifey (Wifey #1)
  • Diary of a Mistress
  • Dutch (Dutch Trilogy, #1)
  • Bitch (Bitch, #1)
  • Diary of a Street Diva (Dirty Money, #1)
  • Bad Girlz