Start by marking “Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into (With DVD)” as Want to Read:
Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into (With DVD)

Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into (With DVD)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Crust is the exciting new bread book from Richard Bertinet. His revolutionary and simple approach that won him so many accolades for his first book Dough continues, but this time he leads you further into the world of breadmaking, introducing recipes that require a little more understanding and time but inspiring you with the confidence to create them at home. Bake a beaut ...more
Published October 22nd 2007 by Kyle Books (first published September 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crust

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumArtisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff HertzbergHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
16th out of 32 books — 36 voters
Tartine Bread by Chad RobertsonFlour Water Salt Yeast by Ken ForkishTartine Book No. 3 by Chad RobertsonBien Cuit by Zachary GolperNow You're Cookin' Bread Machine by Rebo International
BREAD--Stars That Rise & Shine
27th out of 34 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Paola Camacho
Jan 19, 2016 Paola Camacho rated it liked it
Most of the breads in this book are sourdough starter based (and no yeast). This is my first experience trying to making bread without yeast, and probably the last for a while. Making sourdough is the most frustrating thing I've done in the kitchen, post macaron experience. I tried...and failed. And in the process, a lot of good and pricey organic flour went to the trash. Hence, this book is not idiot proof, and I'm sticking to classic yeast bread recipes.

On a side note: I tried the yeasted brea
Libbeth
Mar 19, 2009 Libbeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, 2009
I borrowed this from the library in to check it out before purchasing it. I am still undecided as to whether to buy it as I have to be realistic and I just don't see myself making the effort to make sour dough bread. I realise that once you make your first starter and get in the routine of refreshing it etc. it's probably easy enough but I just can't picture it.
The DVD that was included was very good, and from watching it I can imagine myself making brioche. I didn't realise there were so much
Shannon
May 26, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best book I've read on slow breads. The photos are not just beautiful and appetizing, but really educational. This book will leave your mouth watering!
Tony
Mar 21, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bread
As good as "Dough", with some twists. Good as a stand-alone first-time book, or back-to-back with "Dough".
Alana
Jan 01, 2012 Alana rated it it was amazing
I got this for Christmas and so far I've made the sourdough twice (I already had a leaven going) and the ciabatta once. All the recipes are well laid out and easy to follow with great photographs. The accompanying DVD is very handy for observing technique. I really can't fault this book, or Bertinet's other book 'Dough'. This is definitely a book suited to people who want to make 'slow' bread though and beginners would probably be better off starting with 'Dough'.
Gregg McNeill
Jul 24, 2012 Gregg McNeill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is brilliant! The Author's techniques for kneading and forming dough have really helped me in my search for great homemade bread. His Sourdough starter process is also amazing.

The photography is STUNNING! Most of the cookbooks I own were purchased because of the photography. This book is beautiful.

The DVD that comes with the book illustrates his kneading technique very well, but isn't shot as sumptuously as the stills in the book.
Devilish
Apr 30, 2013 Devilish rated it liked it
Shelves: bread
I love his sourdough recipe (but with far less water). I find his attitude to his sourdough far too hardline and prescriptive - just relax and it will all be fine!

There was not enough general guidance in the book for my taste, but if you're looking for very prescriptive recipes, it may appeal to you. I took it out of the library and have no great wish to own it.
Emma
Aug 30, 2014 Emma rated it it was ok
Although it's an okay *book*, I rated it as 2 because I'm not the biggest fan of sourdough, and that is one of the biggest recipes in the book. I might try it, though, because if anyone could write a sourdough recipe I would like, it would be Bertinet.
Elaine Ireland
Feb 12, 2013 Elaine Ireland rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to serious breadmaking. Good, simple instructions. I have found other artisan bread books more comprehensive but this is a much better introduction. Bertinet's a good guide and the DVD is a useful addition.
Kate
Dec 28, 2009 Kate is currently reading it
Also got this baking book for Christmas. I am going to be testing quite a few of the recipes, including one for bagels...
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Julia Chapman
Julia Chapman rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Alexis Rodrigue-lafleur
Alexis Rodrigue-lafleur rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Horticultural
Horticultural marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Jennyfer
Jennyfer rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Rachel Parkes
Rachel Parkes rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Lee  Rowlands
Lee Rowlands rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Daryl G
Daryl G marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Hes
Hes rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Nov 24, 2015
DaRawkus
DaRawkus rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Michael O'Connor
Michael O'Connor marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Omer
Omer marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Anusha Lakshminarayanan
Anusha Lakshminarayanan marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Neil Silver
Neil Silver is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Ross McLelland
Ross McLelland rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015