Start by marking “Voices from Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives” as Want to Read:
Voices from Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives

Voices from Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives

Vivid, first-person accounts of what it was like to be a slave in the antebellum South recounted in simple, often poignant language.

Stark descriptions of the horrors of slave auctions, and many other unforgettable details of slave life. Accompanied by 32 compelling photographs and a new preface by the editor.
Published May 27th 1999 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Voices from Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices from Slavery

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher StoweAdventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainRoots by Alex HaleyNarrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick DouglassBeloved by Toni Morrison
Slavery
139 books — 85 voters
Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon NorthupBeloved by Toni MorrisonUncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher StoweIncidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet JacobsThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
African Slave Trade
75 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Alison
Jun 06, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
A collection of interviews aquired during the Works Progress Admin. during the Great Depression. Government officials realized the last folks remaining who lived in slavery were dying off so they sent historians out to collect their recollections. If you want a true understanding of slavery this is an absolute must. Forget history books; read straight from the source.
John
Mar 23, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cultured-100
I learned so much reading these stories. If you had asked me why slavery was wrong, I would have said it is wrong to own another person. What I realized reading this book is that, subconsciously, it was the cruelty that really drove my view of slavery. What this book does is force you to reconsider slavery in light of some stories from former slaves who seem to genuinely love the old masters and wish they could go back. Is slavery still abhorrent without the cruelty? In short, this book deepened ...more
Marie
Aug 13, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
An important book, despite its flaws, which are outlined carefully in the introduction and afterwards. It took me a long time to get through this book and that I think is partially the point. I didn’t want to jam a bunch of voices together in my head and lose their distinctiveness. So mostly I would read one autobiographical passage a night before bed.

It’s a slice of lost history and significant in the range of tales presented - some five hundred words here or there that are all that remain of a
Leo Jones
May 26, 2012 Leo Jones rated it really liked it
I read the slave narratives to prepare for a church service about Juneteenth. The voices are haunting, heart-breaking, and reflect the strength of African Americans who were held in bondage. I learned a lot about my heritage, and I'm very glad I read it.
The
How do you review this book? They are transcripts of interviews given from people that lived to tell their tale of slavery. They are heartbreaking, traumatizing, gruesome, and uplifting that they survived.
Hassan
Jul 29, 2013 Hassan rated it it was amazing
amazeeeeng.
Steve Centore
Oct 06, 2008 Steve Centore rated it really liked it
Very interesting, enlightening and entertaining.
Sue
Jul 19, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slaves-civil-war
Loved it. The real thing.
Alec Gray
Oct 10, 2014 Alec Gray rated it it was amazing
Excellent compilation of the 2000+ WPA interviews of former slaves, done in the 1930's
Peter Sloane
Peter Sloane rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Patience
Patience rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Kdeng
Kdeng rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Michael Myrick
Michael Myrick rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Gregg
Gregg rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Shari Belton Barber
Shari Belton Barber rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Tiffany Brown
Tiffany Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Clifford
Clifford rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Arthur
Arthur rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2015
Jaine
Jaine rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Kinsley Lovelace
Kinsley Lovelace rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
David Joy
David Joy rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Martha Stroud-Merry
Martha Stroud-Merry rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
Eugenia
Eugenia rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Scott Mcclintic
Scott Mcclintic rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Bullwhip Days: The Slaves Remember: An Oral History
  • The Confessions of Nat Turner
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • The Slaves' War: The Civil War in the Words of Former Slaves
  • Nat Turner
  • Joan of Arc: The Image of Female Heroism
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • Muhammad: Prophet and Statesman
  • From Reliable Sources: An Introduction to Historical Methodology
  • The Making of England to 1399
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • The Origins of the Modern World: A Global and Ecological Narrative from the Fifteenth to the Twenty-first Century (World Social Change)
  • Sowing Crisis: The Cold War and American Dominance in the Middle East