Start by marking “The Girl from the Well” as Want to Read:
The Girl from the Well

The Girl from the Well

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,305 ratings  ·  361 reviews
You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a s
Published August 5th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeCreed by Trisha LeaverHexed by Michelle KrysAlienated by Melissa LandersSide Effects May Vary by Julie   Murphy
2014 Debut Author Challenge (YA/MG/NA)
28th out of 416 books — 1,285 voters
The One by Kiera CassIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiCress by Marissa MeyerA Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia GrayCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Best Covers of 2014
52nd out of 449 books — 1,182 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
“I say it is an onryuu, yet I feel no hate from her."

“An onryuu with a conscience, kami help us."
Shimatta! (That means shit in Japanese). God help us, this is supposed to be our terrifying heroine? Kuso yaro! Sou desu ne?! Ramen! *insert random-ass Japanese word here for authenticity* Sukiyaki! Hentai! Bukkakke! Hello Kitty!

This book will be scary, they said. A cross between Dexter and The Ring, they said. Not fucking likely.

This was how scary the book was for me.

Trust me, I'm just as disappoin
Lola
description

Is this really supposed to be a horror book? Like...for real? I’m surprised to say this, since I usually never read this genre (because of the chicken that I am), but I found it very dull and never did I have some goose bumps while reading. Goose bumps are mandatory to me when reading a (supposedly) horror and creepy story.

If someone who has read The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith and couldn’t sleep ALL NIGHT says this book was not scary, believe that person. On the other hand…that book was very d
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Sourcebooks Fire through Netgalley

TW: murder, mentions of rape

I don't own a TV.
Yeah, I know you're expecting me to go down the usual pretentious, "I don't own a TV, because books are the superior form of blah blah blah" but the truth is I don't own one because I am so crazy that after I watched The Ring I had to get rid of my TV.
There will be NO creepy kids climbing out of a well and into my house!

So when I got approved for this ARC I went, "Oh no, Isa. What have you done?"

I
Faye, la Patata
Warning: Scary GIFS galore!

I posted some Asian Film Recommendations as an extra to posting this review on my blog. Check it out here and go marathon some scary movies!

Since I was young, I've always loved Asian horror films. I'm a fan of horror in general (who agrees with me that getting goosebumps is AWESOME?! No? No...? Okay...), but there's a certain quality in the Asian counterparts that I don't really seein Western works.For one, they incorporate their mythology in their films and literatur
Aimee

Let's get one fact straight: I am a huge wuss. I hide behind pillows during horror movies and force people to come with me when I walk into dark rooms. I am freaking scared of dolls. Those Barbies I collected as a kid? I want to throw them all out the window. But after reading my first horror book, Anna Dressed in Blood, I thought I wasn't going to be as scared. Well, ha ha to myself.

That was my reaction throughout the book. I was happily enticed by all the mythology and Japanese histo
Giselle
Even with the great premise and creepy as heck scenes throughout, I can't say I liked this one much, unfortunately. Though this is all due to the writing, and if you're a fan of it you will have a much better experience with this book than I.

The writing is one that, although may work for some, I could never get used to. The narrative voices (plural because I "think" there were more than 1, but I'm not 100% sure…) are in 3rd person which is always harder for me to connect with regardless, but in
Dax Varley
Gotta have!

photo deanyelling_zpsaa5762b4.gif
Figgy
WARNING - This review WILL include gifs and images that might disturb.

There's an issue with image links on GR right now, only half of them are showing up from time to time. Hopefully this will fix itself soon.

This book has been written up as a cross between The Ring and Dexter, but I actually felt it was equal parts The Ring:

The Grudge:

And a little bit of The Eye:
(This one makes more sense if you’ve seen the movie)

I had two very different reactions to this book.

The first was fear. The creep
Jo
Loved the Japanese culture woven through the story. Loved that the narrator is a ghost of vengeance. Loved the lyrical and beautiful writing. This book was a treat to read. I didn't want to stop reading, and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I don't know how scary it is compared to other horror books since I don't typically read in that genre, but I thought it was ok scary. Not too scary, but a nice even stream of intenseness. While I enjoyed the Japanese influence, there were points ...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

It has been a long time since I’ve read a novel based on a myth so I really did not know what to expect from The Girl from the Well, though I am pleasantly surprised. This novel is based on a popular Japanese ghost story which was about a girl who was murdered, then thrown down a well, head first. As you may already know, I do not read horror novels all that often because quite frankly, I am a wimp. Talk about dolls and my imagination will go flying
Saskia
Mar 02, 2014 Saskia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
edit (15.01.2014): We finally have a Cover!
And I like it. August will be a great book month.

sounds awesome!

description
Tabitha (Pabkins)
A very high creep quotient

Are you afraid of the dark? Or scary movies features spook children and the like? Then you might want to read with the lights on because The Girl from the Well features that famous urban legend of the Japanese ghost girl from the well – yes exactly the one you are thinking of from that movie The Ring. Heck that movie is even mentioned here in the book. Not only do you have her, Okiku, as the main scary ghost in this book but there is another nasty main ghost plus many g
Cait Grace
I have to shout one thing first, okay? Okay. Keep calm, just let me get this off my chest:

THIS WAS AMAZING AND SCARY AND FREAKISHLY FANTASTIC. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT YET, YOU'RE MISSING OUT.

Aaaand...I'm done. I am! I could end the review here, to be honest. But, I'm not positive you're convinced. (Although, in all honesty? Everyone knows I'm trustworthy and that if I like a book you ought to drop everything and rush out and read it.) But for the SKEPTICS, I will explain.

The Girl From The Well i
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Bell, Book & Candle | Girl from the Well Review

How apt the description of Dexter meets The Grudge really is. Horror is not really my thing unless I'm in a room full of people, with the lights on. Yet this story was positively entertaining.

The ghost element of the story was perfectly executed (no pun intended). The story of Okiku is actually a real one. I had known movies were based off of the concept, but truly didn't know that it was a real Japanese folklore story.
Sharon
For fun things and more reviews visit The Accidental Reader

So...I've been thinking of trying a new style of reviewing. It is quite simple, really.

Why you should read the book

So, first of all the writing. What a beautiful writing. I think the best way to describe it is as a Japanese writing. While you may think me somewhat not politically correct with that phrase I will explain.

While there are all sorts of writing styles- as many as there are people on this earth, I'd say culture and roots and l
Rin Chupeco
Feb 22, 2014 Rin Chupeco added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE FEBRUARY 2, 2014: Aaand you can read the first three chapters of here: http://www.sourcebooks.com/images/sto...

UPDATE JANUARY 26, 2014: Spiffy new cover is up, and e-ARCs available over at Edelweiss AND at Net Galley!

-----------------------------------------------------

Just a few things! I'll be updating this again as soon as more information is forthcoming:

1. The Unnatural States of Dead Girls in Wells is now called The Girl from the Well.

2. This is not a romance, but it is a love stor
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got an ARC of this book through Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.)

Not so much "terribly scary" for me in the end, in that I don't scare easily, yet fascinating nonetheless for its depiction of ghosts, the appearance they have after death, and the imagery it conjured. I could fairly easily picture Okiku, the murderers she targeted and got revenge on in place of the dead children, said children literally latched onto those men's necks and linked to their limbs by spirituals cords...
A Book Vacation
To see my full review:

This novel is intense—from the very beginning—and scary to boot! If you’ve seen The Ring, then you’re familiar with the insanely creepy girl that crawls out of the well, out of the TV, and into the life of strangers—to kill them. Well, that very frightening girl is indeed our narrator! Talk about scary! Now, while the narrator, Okiku, is the same ghost-like figure from the movie, this is not that story. Instead, Chupeco focused heavil
Amir (The Not-So-Literary Heiresses)
3.5 Stars

Warning: Creepy pictures included in this review.

Despite my overactive imagination after watching or reading anything scary, I do love the horror genre. I can be embarrassingly sissy afterwards (sleeping with the lights on, peeing with the door open) but there’s just this rush that you get when creeped out and scared…or maybe it’s just twisted ol’ me. When I read the blurb for The Girl from the Well, I immediately requested it because it’s just right up my alley. I mean, who can resist
Kate
I read this ARC via Netgalley.

She died in a well.

Now Okiku wanders the land of the living, finding dead children who cling to the backs of their murderers, and sets them free. When she happens upon Tarquin, a boy whose mother tried to kill him, a boy who is covered in strange moving tattoos, she stays to protect him. There is something inside him trapped by the tattoos, and it's getting stronger...

I love Japanese horror movies, and this book explained a lot of the imagery from those movies. At
Lorna
I have been reading quite a lot of young adult books lately, and for the most part really enjoying them much more then I ever thought I would. When I found this book on Net Galley months ago, I was a bit hesitant whether to request it or not, because I wasn’t sure what a YA horror novel would entail. What I got was a really very different read, and also a book that I thought was more of an older YA read due to the pretty horrific subject matter.

Tark is a fifteen year old boy who literally has fo
Marco
I enjoyed this one! It's creepy and intelligent, and I couldn't put it down. What starts with a terrifying ghost murdering a serial killer ends in a story of Japanese mysticism and legend. Clever and suspenseful.
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
I'm one of those people who are frustratingly immune to women with gnarled, be-twigged, long hair(maybe because I wear the short version); yet play a face screaming so wide, jaws opened like a hippopotamus and a sound system to bloody my bloody eardrums, if the shock doesn't give me a heart attack, and pride lets me, I'll be out like the fucking roadrunner. Traditional horror movies fall basically in either of the two categories and if there's one thing I can say with certainty about The Girl Fr ...more
Renu
I admit I don't usually read YA horror, but there was something compelling about the summary of this book that made me request it. The Girl from the Well is a book that people are either going to love or hate. Unfortunately, I fall into the latter category.

My biggest issue, I think, was the writing style. The book is told from multiple 3rd person perspectives which made it hard to connect to the story. Furthermore, it changed perspectives without warning - I would have preferred a break in the
Megan (YABookers)
Jun 30, 2014 Megan (YABookers) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in Japanese culture and ghost stories. Fans of the horror genre.
I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley

Actual Rating - 4.5

'This Okiku only remembered pain, suffering, hate, vengeance. Time had taught me to temper the malice within. But for a long long time, I was a great and terrible thing. I was a creature that found pleasure in the ripping. In the tearing. I am no longer that monster. But memories of that creature still lurk within this well. There are some things that never fully die.'

Okiku is a ghost. She kills those who kill children. Hund
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
HORRIFYINGLY AMAZING

I was give an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be seen on our blog:
Musings of the Book-a-holic, inc.

I will of course, be honest from the start. I LOVE HORROR. My sister and I bond over horror movies. I love Sadako and I love the Exorcist. Of course, I don't love what happened to them. I just love how they make me almost jump out of my skin and scream like a banshee. Watching a horror film is like electrocuting yourself.. You may feel weir
Resistance is Futile
Summary: Tarquin (Tark) Halloway has been haunted his entire life. With a mentally ill mother and a caring father who works too much, he feels he has no one to talk to about the strange lady that slinks through mirrors and makes Tark do terrible things. But when he meets a roaming spirit, Okiku, they both begin to remember what it is to be human. With the help from Tark's cousin Callie, Okiku and Tark must rid himself of his haunting.

My Thoughts: Let me tell you, if I had read this book when I
Rachel Craig
Oh, The Girl from the Well. How do I even start to review this book which left me with so many mixed feelings? It was creepy sometimes, but not a horror novel. Some characters were interesting. Others were dull and still others you wanted to shake some sense into. The writing style was intriguing but also annoying. UGH! Where to start???? Probably the beginning. Yeah, let's start there.

Okiku is an Onryo, one of those revenge ghosts that you see in movies like The Grudge and The Ring. Those wome
Benni
Review: http://bennitheblog.com/bookbiters/th...

Okiku’s ghost, also known as the “girl from the well,” haunts the world. She may have started out as a vengeful spirit who attacked without discern, but over the centuries, she has morphed into a protector of children. As she herself was young when murdered, Okiku has the power to harm those who harm children. And when she wields that power, it’s not pretty for those who face her wrath.

One day a human boy, Tark (short for “Tarquin”), catches her at
Melissa Chung
The Girl From the Well is a creep-tastic Japanese-esque horror novel. The narrator is a three hundred year old ghost named Okiku, who travels the globe in search for her next victim. Okiku is a vengeful spirit who attacks and kills humans who harm and murder children. One day she comes across a fifteen year old boy named Tark who is different than other humans. Okiku can't place why she is drawn to him but she is.

Through the story you meet Tark's father Doug, his mother Yoko and his cousin Call
  • MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)
  • Amity
  • Fiendish
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Shutter
  • The Walls Around Us
  • Feral
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • Creed
  • Servants of the Storm
  • Beware the Wild
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
  • Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1)
  • Promise of Shadows
  • The Fall
  • Blood and Salt
  • Monstrous
Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus. Born and raised in Manila, Philippines, she keeps four pets: a dog, two birds, and a husband. Dances like the neighbors are watching.

Her work, The Girl from the Well, is a YA psychological horror novel due out in Fall 2014, pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge". She is represented by Nicole LaBombar
More about Rin Chupeco...
Firekeeper Lauriat: A Filipino-Chinese Speculative Fiction Anthology

“Dad says there are more than three thousand letters in the Japanese alphabet, which could pose a problem. There are only twenty-six letters in the English alphabet, and I get into enough trouble with them as it is.” 6 likes
“It is not in my nature to be interested in the living.

But there are many things, I have found, that defy nature.”
3 likes