Start by marking “Eleven Days” as Want to Read:
Eleven Days

Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A fire rages through a sleepy West London square, engulfing a small convent hidden away among the residential houses. When DI Jack Carrigan and DS Geneva Miller arrive at the scene they discover eleven bodies, yet there were only supposed to be ten nuns in residence.

It's eleven days before Christmas, and despite their superiors wanting the case solved before the holidays,
Published April 30th 2013 by Faber and Faber

To ask other readers questions about Eleven Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleven Days

So... to be honest, I may have groaned just a bit on realising that it featured another dysfunctional pair of detectives assigned to London's Metropolitan police force - that's a bit of a cliché, to say the least, and the Met are not the shining beacons of rectitude they've acquired a worldwide reputation for being. They may have been more so decades ago when this trend began, but not now.

I did read the whole book, however, because I found it more interesting than the framing device would normal

No. 2 Carrigan & Miller series

Another British police procedural. And a damn good one at that.

I'd not read the first novel in this series and the author didn't waste many words filling me in on the backstory, which I liked. There were just a few brief references to past events which was enough. If you can't fill I'm the blanks and work it out for yourself then what are you doing reading mysteries? I am currently reading (or struggling to read) a series book where the author has felt the need
Liz Barnsley
Once again I found myself diving into a "second in series" book by an author I was already extremely fond of. The first book in the "Carrigan and Miller" series, A Dark Redemption, was excellent and I was not far into this one before I realised that, if anything, it was even better. This time we find our protagonists investigating arson at a convent in which eleven nuns die...except there were only ten nuns in residence. With Eleven days to go until Christmas, the powers that be are keen for a r ...more
Grim and grey but still very readable...

When a fire engulfs a convent in London, the ten nuns who make up the Order are all killed. But there is another body too, and it’s up to Detectives Jack Carrigan and Geneva Miller to find out who she was and why she was there. This is a complex, somewhat sprawling thriller that looks not just at the underbelly of crime in London but also at politics within the Roman Catholic church, and across the world to the impact of big business on the peasants of Per
Ten incinerated nuns and an unidentified 11th dead woman, Albanian sex and drug trafficking gangs, liberation theology in Peru and obstructionist senior clerics with ties to senior police officers in London - Carrigan and Miller have a lot to contend with in this, their second outing.

It's an intricate plot, but all the elements hold together well. The personal lives of Carrigan and Miller are a bit more revealed - his grief for his dead wife, her attempts to extricate herself from a disastrous m
Cheryl M-M
Once again London is the background setting for this second Carrigan and Miller novel, the first being A Dark Redemption (Carrigan & Miller Police 1). London tends to bring about stereotypical images to mind, instead Sherez takes the reader into the unknown entity and veins leading from the heart of the city. Darkness, secrets and hidden evil behind closed doors.
The crimes are written with a subtle helping of both religious and political sub-plots that don't take over the main concept.
Julian King
My first Carrigan & Miller, and I've enjoyed meeting them.

Police procedural double-act, with credible, sympathetic, flawed characters following various leads towards suitably shocking if slightly less credible conclusion.

Sherez is ambitious: we have Eastern European drug barons, Peruvian politics of the 1970s, and the Catholic church at its most devious (though, thankfully, we are spared the by now traditional conspiracy theory). He is also, in places, a memorably good phrase-maker (though h
Review originally published here:

Eleven Days is the second book in the Carrigan and Miller series, but it can just as easily be read as a standalone. I hadn’t read the first book, and I got caught up with this story right away. Protagonist Carrigan has lost his wife a few years ago, and ever since he’s had a bitter, grim look on life. Christmas is the worst, so part of him is secretly relieved when he’s called to work on a case during the holiday season.
Vicky Newham
ELEVEN DAYS is the fourth novel by Stav Sherez and continues the Carrigan and Miller detective partnership which the author set up so effectively in A DARK REDEMPTION. The Prologue, written in the distinctive voice of a female character, is particularly enjoyable to read (and partly because of the deliberately long sentences). Then we move to a poignant scene with Carrigan and his sick mother, and are reminded that he is still grieving for his dead wife, Louise. For me, these two personal situat ...more
Glenda Powell
Really enjoyed this intelligent and powerful book. Sherez writes with authority-I get the impression he has researched well and shows sound knowledge throughout. His main characters are realistic. This is a book I would thoroughly recommend to crime story lovers. If you haven't read anything by Stav Sherez, in my opinion, you are missing out. Can't wait for the third Carrigan and Miller book. In the meantime am going to read some of his other work.
Liberation theology comes to Bayswater. This is the second book in the Carrigan / Miller series of police procedural thrillers. The lead characters are developing well and the plotting is intricate and always interesting although the final twist I found a bit clunky. This is definitely worth as read.
Don't know what it is about this author, but I love his stories. I don't know if it's the historical piece, the characters or that it turns out I have a dark side that enjoys the seedy side of London, but I am already anxiously awaiting the next in this series.
Jane Fenn
Compelling story with seemingly endless plot twists. Somehow didn't have quite the energy of the other books I've read of Stav's, though. Maybe because I read the extraordinarily disturbing, (but excellent), Devil's Playground previously. Any book would seem 'tame' by comparison!! Certainly won't stop me reading more.
Marina Sofia
I really enjoyed this--my kind of writing style. It's a police procedural that has enough background, psychology, interplay of characters, research, plot and description to keep me interested and to raise it above the merely average. I do admit I had some previous knowledge of liberation theology, so it was quite easy to follow that part, although the combination with Albanian mafia seemed to be overgilding the lily. I like the two main characters and that their back story and mutual support is ...more
Rebecca Davis
I thought the writing was great. Wonderful descriptions of London, very atmospheric. Decent mystery, a little grisly, off the beaten path topic. I will be looking for the first in the series.
I read this book having not read the authors first book and found it a great read as a stand alone novel.
Gripping story and well written
Linda Gaskell
Very readable detective duo novel. They are called in to investigate a fire at a convent that leaves 11 dead. This was the second novel in the series so I am off to find book one.
C'est magnifique! Stav Sherez never, ever's the fourth book I read by him, and the second in the Carrigan-Miller series, and don't see it coming, you really don't. Won't spoil it and leave you to discover what happens (we have the usual gruesome parts that we all have learnt to love in his books, and the mix with religion in the story which is peculiar for the way it is woven in), but will say that much that the cliffhanger we're left with makes me wish I could have th ...more
Enjoyed this book. Liked the characters and the story. I've not read the 1st so I'll have to find it and read it.
Lloyd Dunn
I would rate this 4 1/2.
Another exciting book in this series
A brilliant book with an interesting storyline and an intriguing twist at the end. Brilliant read
Martin Waight
I was lucky enough to be able to read a pre release copy of this book from NetGalley. My thanks to them for making it available and to the author for writing it.

This is the first book I have read by this author and I will read more and recommend it to others. This was a good story which kept a readers interest with clever twists. A substantial amount of research has gone into making the plot believable and the result is a worthwhile read.

I read this on a Kindle.

Any Length
Very involved book with multiple turns. "Who-done-it" lovers will enjoy it.
Sandy Hall
I'm so sad this is it for the series so far, I want to know more about these characters! I've loved the author's ability to flesh out the characters, but not give so much information that it detracts from the mystery/plot. Carrigan's addiction to good coffee is more than a little reminiscent of John Harvey's Charlie Resnick, not to mention the similarity in their physical descriptions. I DO find that a little off-putting, but it's a minor irritation.
Eleven days before Christmas, a convent is burned to the ground. The bodies of the ten nuns are found sitting around the dining table. An eleventh body is found in the confessional. Liberation Theology. Albanian sex traffickers. Peruvian mine strikers. All play a part in this twisting and turning mystery.
Chris Wackett
audible book . good read . very interesting back story . learned a lot . didn't love the narration nor the lead characters but quite enjoyable all the same
Sian Bradshaw
Matthew Ogborn
Four and a half stars for this engrossing second in the series. This is the type of book I wanted first time out from Stav. Great hook, few brilliant red herrings and fully fleshed out characters both from the protagonist and villainous point of view. Stayed in my head for days. Excellent
Although I preferred the first installment in this series, I was not disappointed. I hope there are many more to come.
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Hangman (Abbie Kearney, #2)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • The Truth Will Out
  • The Death of Lucy Kyte (Josephine Tey, #5)
  • Blind Rage
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • Blasphemy: the true, heartbreaking story of the woman sentenced to death over a cup of water
  • Minus Me
  • Phobia
  • The Winter Foundlings (Alice Quentin, #3)
  • The Rose Red Reaper (Chicago Serial Crimes, #1)
  • The Beauty of Murder
  • Fathers House
  • Long Way Home
  • Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming #7)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
  • Bred in the Bone: A Jasmine Sharp and Catherine McLeod Novel
Stav Sherez is a British novelist whose first novel The Devil's Playground was published in 2004 by Penguin Books and was shortlisted for the CWA John Creasey Dagger.

Born in 1970, Sherez grew up in London and attended Latymer Upper School and the University of Leeds.

Sherez's second novel, The Black Monastery, is published by Faber & Faber in April 2009.

From 1999 to 2004 he was a main contribut
More about Stav Sherez...

Carrigan and Miller (2 books)
  • A Dark Redemption