Start by marking “Hug Your Customers: The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results” as Want to Read:

Published June 11th 2003 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hug Your Customers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Your Customers

Alex Gregory
May 19, 2014 Alex Gregory rated it liked it
I found a signed copy of this book at a thrift store, and wanted to read it because I've been bridging more into the sales side at my PR job. Hug Your Customers, written by Connecticut-based clothing maven Jack Mitchell, of Mitchells/Richards, purports to teach readers a "hugging" system that values going the extra mile for clients through various initiatives, responses and sales tactics.

To start with, this is a book that will only really apply if you're in the retail sector. There's a lot of co
Megan
Sep 12, 2016 Megan rated it it was ok
There's some good stories here, but it's certainly not captivating.
Rolando Gill
Sep 13, 2014 Rolando Gill rated it it was ok
I want to hug Jack Mitchell until he stops droning on and on about hugging. In the book he relabeled good customer service as hugging. Then I read so many stories about clothes and alterations, tailors and guys buying 750 dollar suits that I may never go back into Men's Wearhouse. I read it because it was recommended by the same guy that recommended the last terrible book I read. There may be a lesson there.
Vicki
Jun 19, 2008 Vicki added it
Shelves: work-books
I didn't finish this, because it's so totally unrealistic in the context of my job! The author is part of a family that owns some very high-end clothing stores. Their customer service is totally over the top! In their field it's great, but it couldn't work in library-land.... For example, we aren't going to stay open late or come in when we're closed so that a person can get something for a report that's due tomorrow....
Noah Sachs
Jan 27, 2017 Noah Sachs rated it really liked it
Positives

Maybe it’s just me, but I love books that have chapter summaries, and this book has exactly that. Having these chapter summaries allows me to quickly take note of key ideas without having to page through the book again.

I also love that Mitchell shares a variety of personal examples from his own business. Although they aren’t all directly transferable to other business models, the concepts and principles can be adapted to suit your business needs. The personal stories Mitchell mentions a
Rafael Maia
Feb 08, 2017 Rafael Maia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: negocios
Genial!
Greg
Mar 07, 2017 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mitchells Deliver- Extremely Satisfied Reader

The Mitchell family has worked hard from day one to deliver more than their customers expected, and this book is no exception. If you want to succeed at what you do, there is plenty of inspiration right from the very first chapter-

I can't wait to see what they are up to in 2030...

Well done!
JoAnne
Feb 26, 2017 JoAnne rated it liked it
Some really great ideas on how to put the customer first.
I have to say that this book was too long. I had trouble finishing it. I really think this book could have been written in fewer pages. Despite the length of the book, I do think this book deserves three stars because of the theme of the book. Wish more retailers and companies would subscribe to "Hug your Customers."
Asungushe B.
I would recommend this book to anyone, not just entrepreneurs. The principles that hug customers to bring about good business also work in relationships with ourselves and others. In essence, Mitchells dreams of a better world where every business owner treats the customer the way he would love to be treated, raising the performance bar daily by always imagining and creating; all to ensure that customers are extremely satisfied. Relationships work exactly like this. In the same way that satisfie ...more
Liz
Jun 03, 2009 Liz rated it liked it
I'm currently read this to improve my customer skills @ Starbucks. It sort of applies to that job, but I think it's more gears towards Sales, and Retail. Some of the things suggested to do to "hug" your customers is to go beyond great customer service, but I think that's hard to do even in a retail environment such as Banana Republic. You follow the Company rules, and so it's a bit of a challenge to go that EXTRA mile with customers. Such as make sure that the tailor has their jeans ready in und ...more
Patrice
Jan 30, 2013 Patrice rated it liked it
I read this book as an assignment for work and I feel like it would have benefited more if I was still working in retail. I'm in telecom now and there isn't a lot of face to face time with customers. I took a lot of valuable lessons from this that I'm sure I can use in my field but I felt like a lot of it didn't apply. If a person is in retail I know this book will help tremendously because it applies directly. But, in the overall lesson to take away from it is that if you take care of your cust ...more
Ewa Krzeminska
Feb 24, 2009 Ewa Krzeminska rated it liked it
It's about Compromise and Long Lasting Relationships (doesn't matter in which level: either Personal or Professional ... Much more than just business and selling more .. It's an Ideal and a Life Philosophy !!! It is having Integrity in what One does, believes and IS ... SIMPLY LOVING it !!! (So good to be reading a book about business that brings business to what it really is: people dealing w/ other people ... nothing more ... nothing less.)
Tonya
Jan 06, 2009 Tonya rated it really liked it
One of my business contacts gave this to me and I thought it was an excellent reminder to anyone who appreciates and understands Customer Service. Really it is helpful for anyone who works with other people. Great business examples of Customer Service. If only all businesses followed Jack Mitchell's philosophy. I do believe the world would be a better place.
Jon
Feb 28, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
If you are in the retail business read this book. the man knows what he is talking about. It is easy to read and he tells lots of little stories which demonstrate how to REALLY take good care of a customer. Beyond that he even explains how to organized a winning business. The book was written a few years ago so some of the technology has advanced since he wrote this, but truth is truth.
Julie
Jan 22, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Although much of this book may seem like common sense, reading about it in action as it applies to a high-end clothing store gave me new ideas as well. Also made me wish I lived in Connecticut and shopped at Mitchells and Richards!
Carol W.
Jan 14, 2013 Carol W. rated it liked it
Shelves: enlightening
Was asked by my boss to read this book. Has a lot of helpful ideas. A hug is anything that exceeds a customer's expectations. Studies show that it costs six times more to get a new customer then it does to keep an existing costumer. Remember their names and use eye contact.
Amanda
May 16, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The examples are getting a bit outdated, but this book is a great reminder of what you need to do to set yourself apart in the customer service industry. Applies to more than just the retail environment. Certainly gets the creative juices flowing.
Liz Sieloff simpson
Sep 06, 2013 Liz Sieloff simpson rated it liked it
Very simple read, simple concept. Lots of common sense. I think most people who work and e joy customer service work, already go above and beyond and if they have to read this book it probably doesn't come naturally.
Bjorn Hardarson
good book how to treat your customers, good book to read even though you are not in clothing business, An interesting point also is Sævar Karl is mentioned in the book
Bradley
Aug 24, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it
A positive business book. I know I got weird taste, but I got a few pointers for getting my own book sold. This book would really interest business managers a lot I think. =)
Pat
Nov 09, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great customer service book.
Retail clothing.
Hug theme gets a bit tedious, but good advice.
Tina Balboni
Jul 01, 2010 Tina Balboni rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book! Jack Mitchell has a lot to teach everyone about how to treat customers. It's a BIBLE for anyone in sales or a service industry. Must read!
Sares Rodgers
Sep 25, 2014 Sares Rodgers rated it really liked it
This book has been fantastic for me as I deal with customers everyday. A definite read for anyone who deals with customers in their day to day jobs
Darlene Hull
Aug 07, 2011 Darlene Hull rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Brilliant book! What a wonderful world we would be living in of every business were run like Mitchells. Forcing me to do a major step-up in customer service in my own business!
Flavil Hampsten
Aug 21, 2011 Flavil Hampsten rated it really liked it
Great insight on touch points to better your customer service. Its not service, its sales with a service side that keeps customers coming back.
Lily
Feb 18, 2014 Lily rated it liked it
I can save you the time in one sentence: treat your customers incredibly well, scalability be damned.
Jessica B
Jul 22, 2010 Jessica B rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
The fact that, regardless of the good stories, this is a business book might have something to do with the fact that I didn't get halfway into it. Learned lessons on sales though!
Scott Ginther
May 28, 2012 Scott Ginther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A simple quick book with great habits and ideas for running a customer focused business.
Luke Smith
Feb 01, 2017 Luke Smith rated it it was ok
A nice story but very repetitive. It could have been 100 pages and doesn't really give terribly original insights other than anecdotes about going the extra mile for a customer
Brian Daniels
Jun 21, 2012 Brian Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Heather via Starbucks. Good read.
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales
  • The Art of Client Service, Revised and Updated Edition: 58 Things Every Advertising & Marketing Professional Should Know
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, Act, Relate
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Baked In: Creating Products and Businesses That Market Themselves
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
Tundra author Jack Mitchell was born in New Brunswick and grew up in Ottawa, Ontario. At the age of fourteen, his admiration for J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings prompted him to take Latin in high school. He has been interested in Roman history ever since. He studied Classics at McGill University and holds a Ph.D. in Classics from Stanford University, where he wrote his first novel, The Roman Co ...more
More about Jack Mitchell...