Start by marking “The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities

The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  59 reviews
It began with the Mayan calendar - a startling astrological artifact that reaches its end point in the year 2012. As major spiritual traditions, independent researchers, and archaeological findings all point toward this date as a critical moment in human history, readers everywhere are starting to ask the same question: What will happen in 2012? For the first time, the lea...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Sounds True (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of 2012

1984 by George Orwell1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar2001 by Arthur C. Clarke1776 by David McCullough1215 by Danny Danziger
When Was That ? Specific Dates in Titles
45th out of 207 books — 59 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyPet Sematary by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Books That Gave Me Nightmares
108th out of 195 books — 391 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
December 21, 2012, is like Y2K in that no one knows what exactly if anything to expect. Why expect anything? Based on my reading – not extensive first-hand research, but a sense of what various experts are saying – our earth, the sun, and the center of the galaxy will align on that day. People imbue that fact alone with varying degrees of significance. What’s more, the ancient Mayans, who had one of the most sophisticated calendar systems the world has ever known, anticipated 2012. It’s the end...more
BLEEPING Herald Newsletter
Whether you’re an expert on everything ‘Mayan calendar’ or you’ve never heard of it, this book has something guaranteed to blow your mind.

It is a compendium of writings and essays by a tremendous variety of renowned mystics, poets, scientists and thinkers who walk you step by step through the facts and theories surrounding our impending date with destiny…December 21, 2012. Not only are you thoroughly brought up to speed on how the Mayan’s came up with that crazy calendar, you are given specific...more
Theotao
Oct 16, 2008 Theotao rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in Evolution & Cosmology
I'm six essays into this book, and so far it's amazing. How did the Maya view time? Are cosmic forces speeding up our evolution? Will we see the next phase of evolution in our lifetime? These ideas are all addressed by some of the most accomplished Maya researchers in the world.

The diversity alone makes this book an excellent read. The new scientific information on solar flares and their magnetic influences is wildly fascinating, as is the notion that magnetism is a factor in evolution. For exam...more
Sara
Feb 06, 2010 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
I became extremely interested in the 2012 Mayan Calendar end date during a discussion, and subsequently purchased several books on the topic. I purchased about 4 of the most popular nonfiction titles, and of them all I feel this book is by far the most representative of the many different viewpoints and theories that exist regarding what the "end" of Mayan calendar and the alignment of the Sun with the center of our galaxy both mean. Perspectives on these points are highly divergent, which is on...more
Cosmic Sher
I was hesitant reading this for all the hype about 2012, but in the end I found the different perspectives of 2012 really fascinating. There is a little bit for every kind of 2012/paradigm shift reader, and most of the articles are put forth in a positive light. The authors are some of the leading researches of 2012, consciousness raising, and planetary awareness of our time.

This book not only discusses the theories of 2012 & the Mayan calendar, they also discuss the movement of becoming a...more
Valerie
Ok, this may seem a little out there but, I keep coming across the date 2012 and had to find out what all the hoopla was about. Each chapter in the book is written by a different author and presents a different point of view. The majority believe the world is not going end of Dec 21, 2012 (what a relief) but that mankind is heading towards enlightment (I like that idea) but we have to make a concious effort to choose enlightment over chaos. Got me thinking and I have been trying to mediate every...more
Billy
I've watched many documentaries concerning the 2012 phenomenon and am very interested in the history and the science of all of it. I'm not too interested in the new-age stuff. Hence, my 3 star review...

I got this book expecting more of the history and the science. There are several chapters that discuss the history of the Mayan calendar and the various other historical societies that have pointed to the date of 12/21/2012. There are a few chapters that cover the science of the galactic alignment...more
Maria Carmo
A thought provoking book. The first chapters did not bring anything new to me, but as soon as the author started writing about the nature of time and space and its relation to one's consciousness, I really loved the book! All the information about fractals and Fibonacci is also quite interesting, but for me it was the reflection about TIME and AWARENESS that most appealed to me.
The author's conception of 2012 as an opportunity for Humanity to change and overcome some of its repetitive bad cycles...more
Jeff
Jul 19, 2012 Jeff added it
This is a spiritually uplifting and informative book on the importance of our personal and group choices that we are facing this year.
There is a vast amount of historical, scientific, psychological, economic, and spiritual information about the nature of our individual and shared realities in the year 2012.

i feel well informed and transformed positively after reading it.
I also have a long reading list I put together from books mentioned in this book.

Presently I am reading Spiritual Politics"
Thi...more
Dan
Ok, so I am sucker for this type of thing. But I get enough drama when I do my job. This is mindless reading, but it does provoke thought. It did not get a 5-star rating, due to the fact that "new agers" contributed several chapters. Frankly, I do not think that we will all undergo a cosmic and universal shift in thought that will result in our all living nude and in peace and harmony. But the coincidences between the Mayan calendar and cosmic events (even if the Mayans were off by several hundr...more
Amy
What I expected:
An outline of prophecies related to 2012 (Mayan and otherwise), predictions of the future from professional futurists, and hard scientific data.

What I found:
New age hullabaloo and pseudoscience.

More later when I've got my thoughts together to do the actual review.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.

Cindy
This book is a collection of essays about what will happen in 2012. I found it very fascinating. Many scholars in different fields gave their opinions on changes that will effect our world physically, and how mankind will be affected spiritually etc. I found certain "truths" to be in these pages, explained imperically. I found this book very enlightening!
Reed
Oct 06, 2008 Reed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those curious about 2012.
I gave this book 3 stars because I was torn between the fact that it contained some very interesting commentary from well studied scholars on the 2012 phenomina but I struggled to get through it.
The best explaination I have for this is that I believe this is an excellent reference book and not a book you pick up for enjoyment.
Truly
Anggap aja peringatan!
Kudu sering-sering beramal dan mengerjakan hal-hal yang ingin segera dikerjakan (asal yang benar yah) biar enggak neysel belakangan.

kalo sampai kejadian benar, trus dapat tempat perlindungan dengan bawaan yang sangat terbatas, jadi bingung juga. Buku apa yang kudu dibawa...?
Leslie
Aug 02, 2009 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Leslie by: Helen
I found parts of this book hard going, but as it's a collection of essays contributed by multiple authors, other parts were equally easy to read.

A fascinating look at the many theories and predictions surrounding the date most commonly associated with the end of the Mayan calendar: 21 December 2012.
Ocean Poet
I'm only on page four and so far I learned that no one can tell you much about the Maya people. I'm reading this book to give me an insight on the mystery of 2012, this way I can gain some knowledge about this day. Once I reached page 60 it began to get boring to me and I stopped reading it.
Julie
This is a collection of essays and articles and book excerpts from several authors. I spent a lot of time rereading some chapters. Other chapters inspired me to look into more information. I especially liked the chapter about Chaos Theories and the Butterfly Effect.
David Melbie
Jul 05, 2012 David Melbie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to David by: borrowed from my friend, Jake Lampman
Some of these essays and articles, etc., are pretty far out there. Some are more practical than those. Overall this book is full of a lot of quasi-educational guesswork and I don't really subscribe to any of it. Just had to read it, to convince myself, I guess.
Jenny
I love this book and it helped answer my curiousity beyond just the Mayan Calendar. It explains all the theories revolving around 2012, both negative and positive. We can all feel and see the changes and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about it.
Rajiv Sondhi
Very interesting read. I liked the wide range of essays, covering many dimensions of the changes that are associated to 2012 Maya predictions- astrological, archaeological, scientific, cultural, spiritual. Some essays are so inspiring!
Uwe
Extremely interesting compilation of essays from scientists about approaches regarding Dec. 12, 2012. When the sun will be at the exact center of our universe which only happens every 26,000 years. The Mayan calendar ends that date.
Vicky
Mar 28, 2010 Vicky added it
Shelves: 2010
I wanted to know what the hoopla was about and this book had summaries of a bunch of different people's takes on what is supposed to happen. I've got my fill and I don't think the world is going to end on a certain date
Rachel
Oct 07, 2009 Rachel is currently reading it
I have been reading on and off for a long time now. It is great because it is a collection of essays offering many different points of view on what 2012 could mean for humanity. Some are good, some are not so good.
Michelle DePaepe
I found this book fascinating and thought provoking! The relevance of this book goes well beyond the year 2012. It's going to stay on my bookshelf as I know that I will want to revisit some of the essays again.
Lauren
Interesting book but I didn't finish it. I was hoping for a little less "I am right, you are wrong" from these essays but the few that I read were interesting and definately makes you think.
Meghan
Feb 27, 2012 Meghan added it
so far i'm not sure what i think. the first two essays were quite interesting but the next two or three are difficult to follow and assume that the reader already knows more than s/he likely does.
Matthew
2012 scholars seem to think things can go either way on this whole "end of the earth" possibility. Its more that we are facing the end of the earth as we know it, and I feel fine.
Lisa
It's a good book, but alot of theoretical information from different people. Whichever theory I'm on right now is reading like a text book. It's a little hard to get through!
This was a fairly balanced survey of ideas about what 2012 may mean for us all. I knew a few of the authors from other works, but many were new to me. I recommend!
Emillam
A wonderful collection of some brilliant people all explaining what 2012 means in their perspective. A compelling unfolding and makes a whole lot of sense to me.
2012 1 7 Sep 25, 2008 11:17PM
  • 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
  • The 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic and Lore
  • Serpent of Light: Beyond 2012 the Movement of the Earth's Kundalini and the Rise of the Female Light, 1949 to 2013
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • The Book of Stones: Who They Are & What They Teach
  • Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future (And a Way to Get There from Here)
  • The Wicca Handbook
  • Apocalypse Culture II
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • The Seth Material
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • I am me I am free: The Robots' Guide to Freedom
New York Times best selling author Gregg Braden is internationally renowned as a pioneer in bridging science and spirituality. Following a successful career as a Computer Geologist for Phillips Petroleum during the 1970s energy crisis, he became a Senior Computer Systems Designer for Martin Marietta Defense Systems during the last year of the Cold War. In 1991 he was appointed the first Technical...more
More about Gregg Braden...
The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief The Isaiah Effect: Decoding the Lost Science of Prayer and Prophecy The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age The God Code