Start by marking “Washington” as Want to Read:
Washington

Washington

"Freeman's treatment of Washington as a Commander in Chief is virtually definitive" (The New York Times Book Review).

Washington is the most complete, definitive one-volume biography of George Washington ever written. In 1948 renowned biographer and military historian Douglas Southall Freeman won his second Pulitzer Prize for his new and dramatic reexamination of George Was
Published December 1st 1995 by Scribner (first published 1957)

Barbara Reed
May 05, 2013 Barbara Reed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to real truth about American history, as opposed to what's taught in school now.
I'm about 3/4 through this book (Washington by Douglas Southall Freeman) and it has been a fascinating ride! The only reason I'm not finished yet is that I went off and left it behind on one of my recent trips, so I must get it back to finish. But I know that I will be able to continue right from where I left off and be just as absorbed. In the beginning, the writer's style comes across as a little stilted, but it doesn't matter. Nothing can diminish this quality work. I believe that one of the ...more
Dante Ferrigno
Apr 26, 2012 Dante Ferrigno rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book while I was simultaneously reading the unabridged 7 volume series that this book is an abridgment of and once again I am finding the value of abridged works to be utterly lacking except for the need to introduce great works to the minds of those not disciplined enough to undertake the full endeavor.

Freeman is a first rate historian, and I refuse to let my disdain for abridged works tarnish the rating of a book his name is attached to, but I urge potential readers to
Troy Johnson
Aug 22, 2009 Troy Johnson rated it really liked it
A very long in-depth look at Washington's entire life with no stone left unturned. My respect for the great patriot has done nothing but increase over the past few weeks as I've read this book. I'm left wondering what the world would be like if all Americans accepted and executed their duty with the same vigour, zeal and honour that Washington always found.
David J Gill
Dec 28, 2014 David J Gill rated it it was amazing
I have also read the excellent relatively recent Washington biographies by Richard Norton Smith and Ron Chernow. Though Freeman began his biography of Washington in the 1940's and Richard Harwell's abridgment is copyright 1968, this work does not suffer any shortcoming in comparison. If major insights in Washington scholarship from the decades following Freeman's death are lacking from this work, I failed to notice.
Gerry
A very detailed account of our First President. The abridged version of the voluminous set by D.S. Freeman was good enough for me and my interest in George Washington. My favorite part of the book was the sections that covered his years as our First General. Anyone interested in George Washington should read this version.
Kevin Newton
May 12, 2013 Kevin Newton rated it liked it
The Afterword describes Freeman as exhaustive. He is and this book was. The abridged version was well detailed. I enjoyed learning about Washington. I'm not sure how we ever one the revolution. Interesting read.
Katherine Jensen
I finished the second volume October 29, 2004. The third volume on January 24, 2005. Volume four, March 15, 2005. Volume five, April 16, 2005. Volume six on May 12, 2005. Volume seven on September 26, 2005.
Raul
May 13, 2014 Raul rated it it was amazing
Mastefull.
Joshua Horn
Mar 14, 2012 Joshua Horn rated it it was amazing
Read most of the unabridged version, a great book and easy to read like Freeman's other books.
Patrick\
Apr 13, 2008 Patrick\ rated it really liked it
A shame the compolete biography was not finished. Terrific scholarship and a clear eye for living through the facts.
Rose
Mar 02, 2009 Rose added it
973.4 Fre
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
William P. Robinson
William P. Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
James Burns
James Burns rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
نسرين فاطمة
نسرين فاطمة rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Robert Baker
Robert Baker rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
G.BEAVERS
G.BEAVERS rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Беридзе Давид
Беридзе Давид rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
rosbeli romero
rosbeli romero rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2017
Pax
Pax rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Amitava Mazumdar
Amitava Mazumdar rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Mary Coleman
Mary Coleman rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2017
Navid
Navid rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Karen Zangerle
Karen Zangerle rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
  • Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox, 1882-1940
  • The Life and Times of Cotton Mather
  • 1776: Year of Illusions
  • The Grand Idea: George Washington's Potomac & the Race to the West
The son of a Confederate veteran, Douglas Southall Freeman was long interested in the Civil War. A man of intense work ethic, he earned his PhD at 22, then balanced a journalist's demanding schedule with a historian's, as he churned out Lee's Dispatches (1915), the Pulitzer-Prize-winning four-volume R. E. Lee: A Biography (1934-35), Lee's Lieutenants: A Study in Command (1942-44), and finally, the ...more
More about Douglas Southall Freeman...