Start by marking “GRRM: A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover)” as Want to Read:
GRRM: A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover)

GRRM: A RRetrospective (Dreamsongs #1-2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Over 400,000 words. More than 1,200 pages, including nine novellas, unpublished teleplays, rare, never before collected short stories, and a small volume's worth of introductions and commentary.

[Errata for this edition - there may be another edition which matches this description: Each of the more than 30 stories features a full-page black and white illustration commissio
Published 2003 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about GRRM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about GRRM

Psychophant
This is a heavyweight book by a great author. Although not all his stories are in it, most shorts are, and all the best/well known are.

As is unavoidable in a work of this kind, quality is changeable, as the writer learns his trade, some stories age badly while others improve with age. Individual stories range the whole set, from 1 to 5, but they average out, if only for having to wade through some bombs to get to the gems.

A great addition are Martin's own musings, recollections and autobiographi
Anthony Ryan
A collection of short works from the master of speculative fiction. Each story charts the course of Martin's career from his days as a fanzine editor to his scriptwriting tenure on the Beauty and the Beast TV series and on to the phenomenon that is A Song of Ice and Fire. Martin provides short autobiographical sketches throughout, confirming the oft-repeated truth that, in writing, there is no such thing as an overnight success. Game of Thrones fans will not be disappointed, however, as the deli ...more
Tim
Amazing collection. It was so great to hear the stories behind the wonderful stories in this collection. I found Martin to be someone who really believes in the literary merit science fiction and fantasy. As someone who has Never read a song of ice and fire (gasp!) I really enjoyed Martin's science fiction. His sf is not overtly technical maybe even a little dated by today's standard, but the stories are just so good! The themes of loneliness and isolation - in terms of geography and from other ...more
kyknoord
A mixed bag of somewhat variable quality. This is probably something that will suit GRRM completionists more than recent fans of the Fire & Ice series, but the autobiographical interludes between the stories are interesting.
Ruth
c2003. I must have missed the explanation of why this is a "rretrospective" unless it is supposed to be a clever echo of the author's middle initial. I had the most strange relationship with this book. I resented its size and weight and frequently decided to stop and class it as a 'DNF'. But then, I would read 'just one more' and then before I knew it - I had finished the book. The tale of the Hedge Knight alone was worth the cost of the physiotherapist for the shoulder troubles. I found some of ...more
Adam
For those only familiar with a Martin's acclaimed Song of Ice and Fire this is a must read. It is also published as the two volume set Dreamsongs I & II. I highly recommend the audio version of this as well in case you've been wondering what Adrian Paul of Highlander fame is up to (seriously, check it out).

I am giving this four stars mainly as an average. There are highs and lows as with any collection of short stories. However, this tome contains most everything of note that Martin has done
João Lamas
First of all, I would like to say this was one of the best books, I've ever had the pleasure to read. My first contact with George's writing was made by A Song of Ice and Fire and I could not believe my eyes when I discovered how small that saga was in the tip of the Iceberg. The fact is that throughout his life, Martin has written in almost every gender, from horror to science fiction, from fantasy to suspense. His works reveal how complex a human be can be and all the aspects of one's personal ...more
Sofia Janeiro
Excelente escritor, supreendeu-me o facto de ele sair do Mundo do Game of Thrones, e contar historias de personagens sai fora do contexto para quem só o conhece no GOT.
Este Livro é maioritariamente contos de terror, já havia algum tempo não lia um bom livro de terror.
Martin Davey
What a treasure this book is. Not only the fantastic stories in these pages but also the fascinating insight into GRRM's life at the time of writing them all. This is a book that will always have pride of place on my shelf; it's one that can be read over and over again.

Everyone will have their own favourite stories in here, but standouts for me were The Second Kind of Loneliness, With Morning Comes Mistfall, The Stone City, Bitterblooms, Sandkings and Nightflyers. Just writing about them here m
Samantha
This is a bit of a slog but totally worth it. It's a collection of sci fi horror and fantasy stories as well as some early stuff. Highlights include the Exit to San Breta, A song for Lya, the Tuf series, all of the horror stories, Portraits of his Children and of course The Hedge Night (A song of Ice and Fire prequel). The writing is fantastic and it's great to get an insight into how one of my favourite writers puts pen to paper. A must read for all Song of Ice and Fire fans.
Andrea Bampi
A personal anthology as it should always be. Well composed, well commented, HUGE. And made by the author himself. You can't simply miss this one if you're a GRRM fan, though many people will find themselves a bit lost, since most of Martin's fiction is very different from the Game of Thrones franchise - GRRM was and is a very versatile writer and during his career had at least a sip of almost every Speculative Fiction subgenre ever invented. Lucky us... keep writing George!
Yvonne Mendez
I'm just glad I listened to this as an audiobook and not as a back breaking behemoth of a book. So many sci-fi, horror and fantasy stories contained in this book. So far my favorites were the horror ones, followed by the sci-fi ones, and I keep hoping we can preserve his brain like they do on Futurama. But no matter how much I enjoyed his other work I hope he is using his time to finish the Song of Ice and Fire series....The suspense is killing me!
Jonathan Fry
Read this to fill the lack in library stock of a Dance with Dragons and was not disappointed. Proves without a doubt Martin's handle on genre and tone; horror, fantasy and science fiction all represented separately and even in hybrid to their full effect.
Some of his earlier work was not particularly inspiring, but this is, after all, a retrospective, and the massive range of other works more than compensates.
Nicolas Pratt
If you are at all interested in George R. R. Martin, this is the book to read. It's very interesting to learn the back story of one of our time's greatest and most complex authors.

Learning about his history and past in so many different genres and getting a glimpse into his "worlds" is amazing!
Molly
I didn't actually read all thousand-odd pages of this collection as it was from the library, but what I read opened my eyes further to Martin's undeniable talent. Roll on The Winds of Winter!
Justin Salisbury
A great compilation of GRRM's short stories. You really get to know who GRRM is through both the dialog and the stories of this book.
Andy
A fascinating collection. The commentary by the author providing invaluable insight...
Agent Denna
Sep 29, 2012 Agent Denna marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Too long and no time to read. Some decent stories in there though...
bluetyson
Dreamsongs: A Rretrospective by George R.R. Martin (2007)
Kettricken
Nov 19, 2011 Kettricken marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Huge book, looking forward to read this!
Jing
Jing marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Marie
Marie is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Matt Byrne
Matt Byrne marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Bryan Henderson
Bryan Henderson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Kyle Manns
Kyle Manns marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ryan Curry
Ryan Curry marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
George Cleminte
George Cleminte marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • The Many Worlds of Magnus Ridolph
  • Eight Stories from The Rest of the Robots
  • Starshine
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club
  • Cemetery World
  • Starwater Strains
  • Starblood
  • None So Blind: A Short Story Collection
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)