Start by marking “GRRM: A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover)” as Want to Read:
GRRM: A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover)

GRRM: A RRetrospective (Dreamsongs #1-2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Over 400,000 words. More than 1,200 pages, including nine novellas, unpublished teleplays, rare, never before collected short stories, and a small volume's worth of introductions and commentary.

[Errata for this edition - there may be another edition which matches this description: Each of the more than 30 stories features a full-page black and white illustration commissio...more
Published 2003 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about GRRM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about GRRM

Psychophant
This is a heavyweight book by a great author. Although not all his stories are in it, most shorts are, and all the best/well known are.

As is unavoidable in a work of this kind, quality is changeable, as the writer learns his trade, some stories age badly while others improve with age. Individual stories range the whole set, from 1 to 5, but they average out, if only for having to wade through some bombs to get to the gems.

A great addition are Martin's own musings, recollections and autobiographi...more
Tim
Amazing collection. It was so great to hear the stories behind the wonderful stories in this collection. I found Martin to be someone who really believes in the literary merit science fiction and fantasy. As someone who has Never read a song of ice and fire (gasp!) I really enjoyed Martin's science fiction. His sf is not overtly technical maybe even a little dated by today's standard, but the stories are just so good! The themes of loneliness and isolation - in terms of geography and from other...more
kyknoord
A mixed bag of somewhat variable quality. This is probably something that will suit GRRM completionists more than recent fans of the Fire & Ice series, but the autobiographical interludes between the stories are interesting.
Ruth
c2003. I must have missed the explanation of why this is a "rretrospective" unless it is supposed to be a clever echo of the author's middle initial. I had the most strange relationship with this book. I resented its size and weight and frequently decided to stop and class it as a 'DNF'. But then, I would read 'just one more' and then before I knew it - I had finished the book. The tale of the Hedge Knight alone was worth the cost of the physiotherapist for the shoulder troubles. I found some of...more
Adam
For those only familiar with a Martin's acclaimed Song of Ice and Fire this is a must read. It is also published as the two volume set Dreamsongs I & II. I highly recommend the audio version of this as well in case you've been wondering what Adrian Paul of Highlander fame is up to (seriously, check it out).

I am giving this four stars mainly as an average. There are highs and lows as with any collection of short stories. However, this tome contains most everything of note that Martin has done...more
João Lamas
First of all, I would like to say this was one of the best books, I've ever had the pleasure to read. My first contact with George's writing was made by A Song of Ice and Fire and I could not believe my eyes when I discovered how small that saga was in the tip of the Iceberg. The fact is that throughout his life, Martin has written in almost every gender, from horror to science fiction, from fantasy to suspense. His works reveal how complex a human be can be and all the aspects of one's personal...more
Sofia Janeiro
Excelente escritor, supreendeu-me o facto de ele sair do Mundo do Game of Thrones, e contar historias de personagens sai fora do contexto para quem só o conhece no GOT.
Este Livro é maioritariamente contos de terror, já havia algum tempo não lia um bom livro de terror.
Martin Davey
What a treasure this book is. Not only the fantastic stories in these pages but also the fascinating insight into GRRM's life at the time of writing them all. This is a book that will always have pride of place on my shelf; it's one that can be read over and over again.

Everyone will have their own favourite stories in here, but standouts for me were The Second Kind of Loneliness, With Morning Comes Mistfall, The Stone City, Bitterblooms, Sandkings and Nightflyers. Just writing about them here m...more
Samantha
This is a bit of a slog but totally worth it. It's a collection of sci fi horror and fantasy stories as well as some early stuff. Highlights include the Exit to San Breta, A song for Lya, the Tuf series, all of the horror stories, Portraits of his Children and of course The Hedge Night (A song of Ice and Fire prequel). The writing is fantastic and it's great to get an insight into how one of my favourite writers puts pen to paper. A must read for all Song of Ice and Fire fans.
Yvonne Mendez
I'm just glad I listened to this as an audiobook and not as a back breaking behemoth of a book. So many sci-fi, horror and fantasy stories contained in this book. So far my favorites were the horror ones, followed by the sci-fi ones, and I keep hoping we can preserve his brain like they do on Futurama. But no matter how much I enjoyed his other work I hope he is using his time to finish the Song of Ice and Fire series....The suspense is killing me!
Jonathan Fry
Read this to fill the lack in library stock of a Dance with Dragons and was not disappointed. Proves without a doubt Martin's handle on genre and tone; horror, fantasy and science fiction all represented separately and even in hybrid to their full effect.
Some of his earlier work was not particularly inspiring, but this is, after all, a retrospective, and the massive range of other works more than compensates.
Nicolas Pratt
If you are at all interested in George R. R. Martin, this is the book to read. It's very interesting to learn the back story of one of our time's greatest and most complex authors.

Learning about his history and past in so many different genres and getting a glimpse into his "worlds" is amazing!
Toby Anderson
awesome collection of short fiction. loads of great fantasy sf and horror tales in here. and loads of award winners. Sandkings is brilliant. includes introductions by author for each story which is good.

8/10
Molly
I didn't actually read all thousand-odd pages of this collection as it was from the library, but what I read opened my eyes further to Martin's undeniable talent. Roll on The Winds of Winter!
Justin Salisbury
A great compilation of GRRM's short stories. You really get to know who GRRM is through both the dialog and the stories of this book.
Andy
A fascinating collection. The commentary by the author providing invaluable insight...
Agent Denna
Sep 29, 2012 Agent Denna marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Too long and no time to read. Some decent stories in there though...
bluetyson
Dreamsongs: A Rretrospective by George R.R. Martin (2007)
Kettricken
Nov 19, 2011 Kettricken marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Huge book, looking forward to read this!
Goran Remborg
Goran Remborg marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
David
David added it
Sep 24, 2014
Andrea Baldomir
Andrea Baldomir marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Ulp
Ulp added it
Sep 23, 2014
Anke Deconinck
Anke Deconinck marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
  • Starwater Strains
  • Cemetery World
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
  • The Jaguar Hunter
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Queen of Angels (Queen of Angels, #1)
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • The Ultimate Egoist (Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon #1)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twelfth Annual Collection
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Martin attended Mary Jane Donohoe School and Marist High School. He began writing very young, selling monster stories to other neighborhood children for pennies,...more
More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)