Start by marking “Rhys Has a Crush” as Want to Read:
Rhys Has a Crush

Rhys Has a Crush

Nineteen-year-old wannabe rockstar Rhys spends his days hanging out and drinking with his garage band in his friend's house. It's not like there's anything else to do in their boring home town.

Then Seb's older brother appears; a gorgeous vision in tight, black clothing, and long dark hair. Rhys is instantly attracted, though his attempts to flirt with the mysterious Damien
Published April 22nd 2013 by Storm Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Rhys Has a Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhys Has a Crush

Slide by Garrett LeighThe Green-Eyed Monster by Melanie TushmoreYakuza Pride by H.J. BruesThe Wretched Tales 1.1 by B.L. MorticiaIllumination by Rowan Speedwell
M/M Books Featuring Creative Types
10th out of 46 books — 16 voters
Tell Me It's Real by T.J. KluneShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Lightning-Struck Heart by T.J. KluneMuscling Through by J.L. MerrowI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose
Funniest M/M romances
183rd out of 226 books — 350 voters

More lists with this book...

Vio
May 07, 2013 Vio rated it liked it
An odd hookup, more of an awkward teenage encounter than a sexy romance. A quick read which was over too fast, the ending was too abrupt. I am definitely not in the right age bracket to enjoy the shenanigans.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

I'm on my 'free read Sunday' and I was surprised by this one a bit.
At the start I didn't think I'd like it at all, Rhys was annoying and I didn't like Damien ( 25 yr olds that still feel the need to punch their brothers b/c they annoy them are not people I generally have any use for).
It's told completely from Rhys POV and I think I would have loved to see in to Damien's head.
But toward the end I changed my mind and thought it was sort of sweet, I just really wished for an epilogue or a longe
Lucy
May 14, 2015 Lucy rated it really liked it
In a word: Adorable. Yes, I know it was pretty easy for Damien to figure out who was sexting him but still. Told in first person by Rhys, you get a glimpse into his head and he’s funny. And he’s cute. Tongue-tied in the presence of the sex god that is Damien even as he is having fantasies about cooking Damien dinner. He is smart enough to get a different phone before he starts (I admit, I did think at one point he’d make a mistake and use his own).

The twist at the end was awwwww! It’s very ligh
Macky
May 07, 2013 Macky rated it really liked it
Found this quite an enjoyable freebie. The text messages were fun and I liked the growing relationship. A bit abrupt at the end but it is very short. Liked it.
Serena Yates
May 06, 2013 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
As crushes go, Rhys has it pretty bad. With lots of humor, self deprecation, and the typical "coolness" of a teenager of nineteen, Rhys approaches the sudden crush he develops on the elder brother of one of his obnoxious band mates. Rhys has all these concerns about his image, and needs to be super-cool as a future rock star, so anything that detracts from his greatness is not welcome. Unfortunately, he feels like a moron around Damien, the object of his affections, and that leaves him with a ...more
Anke
May 26, 2013 Anke rated it really liked it
This was a very nice short story, perfect for reading in-between. The only thing missing for me was the reason for Damien's low self-esteem.
Jean
May 15, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
I normally don't get into shorts, but this was very believable. it's not about beautiful people falling in love. the stalking, bandmates, and shyness all create an addicting read.
Alex
Mar 01, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Overall
A short that turns from an annoyingly realistic rocker teen tale to a heart-warming snuggle.

Review
The beginning had me unimpressed with the main character, who came across as shallow and...well kind of like a self-centered teen should. And Rhys is that (both, actually), but as surly Damien is introduced, we also get to see the softer, unsure side of him...which is oddly likeable. As the story progresses, it gets cuter and cuter.

I think my only complaint would be that the characters that
Amanda
4 stars

I really loved this. It was super cute and I thought it was hilarious. Even better? It's free. The only downfall is how short it is. I would love this to be longer or even a second installment. Things end on a good note, but I'd love to see how things work out. If everything else by this author is as enjoyable as this then I may have found a new favorite.
Connie
I literally LOL with this one.
Rhys is super cute, dorky and adorable...his scheme to get Damien to finally notice him is silly and funny.
Damien, is a bit...I didn't really get him until the last minute.
Maybe inspiration will hit Melanie again and she will write more for us?
Piper Vaughn
Loved this little short! Very cute. Really liked the characters and would definitely read a full-length story for them. And, bonus, it's totally free.
Xondra Day
Aug 04, 2013 Xondra Day rated it really liked it
For a short story there was a nice slow buildup that I enjoyed between the two guys. The author did a great job! And it's free!
Neyjour
Oh, wow...this was so sweet, adorable, sexy, and wonderfully funny! I LOVED it! And it's FREE. Go download it now! Go-go-go! :D

Note to the author: Can we get a sequel? Pretty please!? :D
Trisha Harrington
So this was a nice short story about two boys finding each other and starting something. Not really a long-term thing, but it ends on a high, so you can draw your own conclusion.
Sandra
Shelves: free, fun, musicans
3,5*
Betryal
Apr 04, 2015 Betryal rated it it was amazing
Now this was a short, hot little story that I really enjoyed. A lot of novel potential here.
Leaundra
May 30, 2013 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book and I really wished it was longer:-)
ARe Cafe
Aug 28, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: vals-picks
Rhys has a Crush by Melanie Tushmore is a cute and funny short story that captures a pitch-perfect sense of what it means to be a nineteen-year-old boy of the twenty-first century – innocent yet jaded, bored, horny, insecure, aimless, childlike, and a master of the wonders of cell phone technology. Our first-person narrator Rhys is appealing and authentic, and his efforts to snare his man provide good escapism.

The story opens with Rhys’s less-than-urgent desire to form a rock band with his frien
Kas
Mar 10, 2015 Kas rated it it was ok
Quick read, although I had to push through the beginning. Rhys was just so... full of himself and obnoxious--though I had to remind myself, he was written perfectly for his age. I still had a hard time liking him until Damien entered the scene, because his awkward crush was adorable and I definitely got a few laughs out of his texting and bumbling around Damien in person.

It was a cute read, though there's not too much to it. It's kind of a quick snack type of read. I'd have loved to learn more
Riina Y.T.
Apr 30, 2013 Riina Y.T. rated it did not like it
This didn't get me, at all. It's a short story, about a wanna rockstar and his new found crush, yeah well that sounds quite fun.. sadly it wasn't transported well enough for me to enjoy. I am a very picky person/reader, I give you that, still this was weird, not as funny as it was supposed to be (and hey, i do have a good british sense of humour, so was it really me?) I just didn't find it as funny... and the end was rushed, the love interest was weird, and the sex was a big big laugh. ...more
Melissa
Apr 29, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, teen-love
This was a short but sweet little story about a boy who falls deeply into infatuation with his friend's brother and comes up with a plan to seduce him (i.e. Stalk him) and figure out how to talk to him.

I think it would've made a wonderful plot for a longer book and I wanted more development from these two!

I could tell that this was a book written by a British author because it had some British words that, if I hadn't read other actual books set in Britain before, I would've been a bit confused
Janie
Aug 05, 2013 Janie rated it liked it
Very sexy little short story. First off I had a problem with all the disgusting habits of Rhys' friends, lol. I'm a girl and reading about that is just as gross as being near it. But Damien was so freaking lovable and sweet. I wish this had been longer and we got to read about where they went in their relationship from there. I truly think they were perfect for each other and the sex would have been Hot to read about.
France-Andrée
Jan 28, 2014 France-Andrée rated it it was ok
There's a couple of things that I found really annoying in this short: 1) the narrator - Rhys - is very immature in his thinking an you have the impression it is a 12 yr old speaking, not a 20 yr old; 2) the premise just doesn't work, I have no problem with people hooking over the phone, but it has to be believable... I guess I thought Damien wasn't acting his age either. All in all a very immature story, I have to say it was true to itself on that level :(.
K.A. Merikan
May 06, 2013 K.A. Merikan rated it it was amazing
Super cute story with a funny premise. :D I love the stalker theme (what does that say about me? haha). The way Melanie describes hot rockers is brilliant and I laughed out loud while reading about the POV character :D <3 <3 <3
Nicole
Jun 21, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
This got off to a rocky start for me as I found Rhys to be quite unlikeable. However, the story became quite cute towards the end. I'd love to rate it higher, but I think the sex scenes were pretty hard to read. Also it ended somewhat abruptly.
Jenny Q
Jul 10, 2013 Jenny Q rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: m/m readers
Shelves: m-m, glbt, free
3.5

i think this was a pretty enjoyable light read~ the first "impression" Damien had of Rhys, if any at all, was a little dubious 'cause it told the reader absolutely nothing of what he actually thought of Rhys. but Rhys' view of Damien was sweet to read still.
Hanne
May 27, 2013 Hanne rated it really liked it
This was a very charming little short-story. I could just imagine Rhys ogling and panting whenever he sees (or thinks about) Damian. The texting (or sexting) was fun. The ending was quite abrupt, but as it was a short-story I guess it comes with the territory. I'm curious as to what happened next.
Agnes
Apr 23, 2013 Agnes rated it it was amazing
This short is both hilarious and cute. Loved both of the characters and I keep fantasizing about them since yesterday ;D Makes me hope for a sequel someday <3
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Lucy
Genre: M/M Contemporory
Rated: 4 hearts

Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews">Hearts On Fire Reviews
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Storm_Moon_Press: Rhys Has a Crush by Melanie Tushmore 1 16 Apr 22, 2013 09:11AM
  • Kiss
  • The Badass Of His Dreams
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • The Touch Of Hope
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Sticking It
  • Smartass
  • The Tail of a Dog
  • Cartoon Logic
  • The Stable Boy
Writer of fiction including themes

Alternative subcultures: goths, punk rockers, rebels and outcasts

Contemporary
Slash
Gay
LGBTQ Fiction

and very British Humour

More about Melanie Tushmore...