Start by marking “Reset: How to Beat the Job-Loss Blues and Get Ready for Your Next Act” as Want to Read:
Reset: How to Beat the Job-Loss Blues and Get Ready for Your Next Act

Reset: How to Beat the Job-Loss Blues and Get Ready for Your Next Act

Welcome to the new world of jobinsecurity.

Layoff. If you haven't experienced one, you know someone who has. Dwain Schenck speaks with authority; not only has he seen energetic, talented, and accomplished friends undergo the stress of job loss, but he, too, has felt the sting of being "let go."

Resetis the uncompromising portrait of Schenck's journey: a successful journalist
Published December 31st 2013 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Reset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reset

Amelia
Jun 06, 2015 Amelia rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, audio-book
This is one of the worst books I have ever listened to. For starters, it is purely autobiographical and had nothing to do with actually helping people become employed, as the title would seem to imply.

This book is just hours of sexist irrelevant stupidity. He claims that men are more hurt by unemployment because they expect themselves to support the family. (Sorry, but that is not a gender specific expectation!) Also, a full chapter is devoted to his diet, and how to go paleo.

Pass on this one!
Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata
Feb 09, 2015 Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata rated it did not like it
I vowed never to give less than 3 stars to any book I finished. I would wager that instead of "beating your blues," this book is bound to have you grabbing for the Xanax. Self indulgent and narcissistic. I won't be so harsh if he wasn't a "communications specialist." Really? Also I was very put off with his name dropping at every turn. Think he knows Mika? Yikes! Whatever nougats of usable material could easily fit into a blog post.
Rachel
Jan 10, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This book is depressingly true. Just an FYI. Maybe don't read it two weeks after your were laid off when the pain is still raw. Let your emotions settle first before you read it.
Jen
Jan 23, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
So much that I could identify with even though I've only been out of work once...my husband has been laid off four times in less than seven years. Yeah. I was reading parts out loud to him and finally he said, "I'll read it, but you can't keep telling me what he (author) is saying." Lol

One of the major points Schenck makes is that employers are doing these layoffs and re-hires all wrong. And it's affecting the bottom line (not to mention our emotions). While there isn't much we can do about it w
The Advocate
"Terminated by the person he hired who eventually became his boss, Dwain Schenck takes us on his journey to looking for his next job. Schenck was a successful journalist who re-entered the job market during one of the most difficult economic downturns. Suffering initially with denial and depression, he realized that he was sabotaging his job prospects."
Read more here.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Becca Barsetti
Becca Barsetti rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Lonette
Lonette rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2014
Elsa Mercado
Elsa Mercado rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Kim Giangrande
Kim Giangrande rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2015
Jenifer Nech
Jenifer Nech rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Niki
Niki rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Cdhender
Cdhender rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Dorinda
Dorinda rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Mark Barry
Mark Barry rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Andrew Stephenson
Andrew Stephenson rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Janice Weisler
Janice Weisler rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Pierre Bourgeois
Pierre Bourgeois rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2014 Kathleen rated it liked it
A bit glib, but I identified with much of this book.
Penny Lane
Penny Lane rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2014
Ttwo
Ttwo rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014