Start by marking “A Window or a Small Box” as Want to Read:
A Window or a Small Box

A Window or a Small Box

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"A Window or a Small Box," by Jedediah Berry, is a charming and weird contemporary novelette of magic realism about a couple about to get married who find themselves on the run from "goons" in an alternative United States.
At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Published June 5th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Window or a Small Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Window or a Small Box

Gregor Xane
May 14, 2015 Gregor Xane rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Don't believe the product description. This isn't 'magic realism.' But it is a light, dream-like adventure that falls somewhere between surrealist or absurdist fiction.

Think of it as PG-13 bizarro.
Althea Ann
Jul 22, 2014 Althea Ann rated it liked it
An engaged couple find themselves in a strange and alien world, where nothing is quite as expected. They just want to find their way back home before the impending date of their wedding. After all, the tents are already rented, and the place settings planned... The story works as a metaphor for developing maturity and finding one's place in the world/settling for reality. The surreal style didn't quite win me over, though.
Bbrown
May 29, 2014 Bbrown rated it liked it
Shelves: short-work
I loved The Manual of Detection, and while this story included some similar moments of charm and clever writing, in sum it's not as strong as Berry's longer work. The short story does a good job of layering tensions, creating an atmosphere of anxiety between the couple and the bizarre world(s) they have stumbled into, as well as between Jim and Laura themselves. The story raises questions about how the couple ended up where they are, why Jim is famous, why Laura is the target of the blond pinstr ...more
Chris
Jun 05, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Read this for free here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/06/a-...

Loved this surreal trip of an engaged couple trying to return home. It's a quick read, so just go read it.

Now to track down Jedediah Berry's other works
Maggie Gordon
Apr 17, 2016 Maggie Gordon rated it really liked it
That was... very surreal. Our two protags get lost one day and end up seemingly skipping through alternative worlds being chased by someone. Nothing is terribly different, but different enough to be unnerving. But they get a happy ending, even if they don't go home. At least I think? They make their own happy ending! Sorta. This was a strange story. Quite enjoyable though!
Tomo20
Apr 06, 2016 Tomo20 rated it liked it
Light if a little self consciously 'magical'. The potential trap of surrealist fiction kicks in occasionally with one 'impossible' image after another, which can get a little distancing when it's not entertaining. Charming enough though.
Kristen Ying
Mar 29, 2014 Kristen Ying rated it it was ok
This story kept my interest with its creativity, and is well written, but I just find surrealist writing like this uncomfortable when it is one surreal event/surprise after another.
Princessjay
May 13, 2014 Princessjay rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A wild run through a surrealism, and a parable of what it is to be in a relationship, to enter into life-long commitment in an uncertain world. In our world.
Max
Mar 11, 2014 Max rated it really liked it
SPOILER ALERT

I think this is a tale of cold feet told about a couple right before their wedding. They get their"happy ending" but in a very no traditional fashion. Odd and fun at the same time.
Armel Dagorn
Oct 02, 2015 Armel Dagorn rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. Wow.
Literatemoose
Aug 26, 2013 Literatemoose rated it really liked it
Shelves: clever
Jedediah Berry is just wonderful, and this short story is just another reminder of why I love reading so much. This creepy, immerse, noir-fantasy kept me feeling like I was inside of a waking dream the whole time. You know just about as much as what's going on as the characters do, which is definitely part of the charm, and it's just the write length to keep you engaged from start to finish.
I'll eagerly await Mr. Berry's next piece of work!
Carla
Sep 02, 2015 Carla rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, own, 2015, in-anthology
It felt very dream like and surreal but I didn't enjoyed it that much. I mean, I understood the characters and how they must been afraid of the big step they were taking but it was way to much nonsensical for my taste and the ending seemed abrupt.
Kelly
Jun 06, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Funky and weirdly cool. Oh, and wildly imaginative. In fact, I'm still digesting some of the happenings. Because, yeah...

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Kimikimi
Feb 14, 2015 Kimikimi rated it really liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story.

Ummm, well this one was nicely surreal.

I really only understood part of the allegory, hopeful I will get more understanding with age.
Kasi
May 04, 2015 Kasi rated it liked it
Ha! This book is strange! Lovable, but strange. Its short though so read it.
Amy
Nov 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novelette
A strange and surreal tale. I'm not sure I get it.
Antonio
Jul 23, 2013 Antonio rated it it was ok
Didn't get it.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Sofia Marques
Sofia Marques marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Mitch
Mitch rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Mjspice
Mjspice marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Cleo Chlorophyl
Cleo Chlorophyl marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Wayong
Wayong rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Ginnie
Ginnie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Luciano Moreia
Luciano Moreia is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Ruth Forrest
Ruth Forrest rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Megs Ferrone
Megs Ferrone rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Meg M
Meg M marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
  • Polynia
  • A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Seven Touches of Music: A Mosaic Novel
Jedediah Berry was raised in the Hudson Valley region of New York State. His first novel, The Manual of Detection, received the Crawford Fantasy Award and the Dashiell Hammett Prize, and his short stories have appeared in anthologies including Best New American Voices and Best American Fantasy. He lives in Western Massachusetts.

"Jedediah Berry knows magic. The Manual of Detection combines the intr
More about Jedediah Berry...

“But they didn’t want to go back now, it was too late for that, and they stayed where they were.” 0 likes
“She wasn’t from this city, and maybe not from this country. The thought dizzied him: other, stranger nations in this already too-strange place.” 0 likes