Start by marking “In Papua New Guinea” as Want to Read:
In Papua New Guinea

In Papua New Guinea

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"Christina Dodwell, a young British explorer, sets out for unexplored jungles of New Guinea with little preparation --no map, no plan, no knowledge of the language or customs. This insouciant attitude often lands her in trouble.

"She forgets her jungle boots (not for the last time) and has to hike barefoot through knee-deep mud, thorns and leeches. The charm of this attitu

Published 1985 by Pan (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about In Papua New Guinea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Papua New Guinea

Stumbling Thru by A. Digger StolzA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Middle of Somewhere by Sonja YoergMadagascar Travels by Christina DodwellAWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David "AWOL" Miller
Hiking Novels
27th out of 30 books — 34 voters
Into the Wild by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertWild by Cheryl StrayedInto Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Ultimate Backpacking Novels
356th out of 357 books — 909 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo
Apr 11, 2014 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Second book I have read by Christina and she amazes me even more with her fearlessness. She might have a touch of crazy for being so brave but she is one of my all time heroes. That is truly living life beyond its fullest.
Martinxo
Read this on my holiday in France. Dodwell is a good writer and has a great story to tell. The books is an account of her solo travels through Papua New Guinea in the late 70s.

This line inspired me:

"A restless and sometimes reckless nature drove me forward and my confidence grew as I realised there is little to fear in this world."
Kat
Read before I traveled to Papua New Guinea. She gets the flavor of the country. Shes either very brave or crazy.
Jennifer Karch Verzè
Jennifer Karch Verzè marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Shireen
Shireen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Killian
Killian marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Andra Tartan
Andra Tartan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2013
Sharni
Sharni marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Evelien
Evelien marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012
Joseph
Joseph is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2012
David Bales
David Bales marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2011
Judy
Judy added it
Oct 17, 2011
Mel
Mel added it
Sep 08, 2011
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2009
Christina was born in Nigeria, West Africa, and educated in England. Her life of remarkable adventure began by chance in 1975, when she made a 20,000-mile journey round Africa by horse, camel and dug-out canoe. She followed that up with journeys in Papua New Guinea, China, Siberia, Madagascar, Turkey and Iran.

Christina has made 3 television films and more than 40 radio documentary programmes for B
More about Christina Dodwell...
A Traveller On Horseback A Traveller in China Madagascar Travels Travels with Fortune - An African Adventure An Explorer's Handbook