Start by marking “The Book Of Counted Sorrows” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Book Of Counted So...

Dean Koontz

The Book Of Counted Sorrows

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,535 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Long awaited Book of Koontz's poetry. Limited to 2500 numbered copies
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book Of Counted Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Of Counted Sorrows

Jessi
Definitely not what I expected, but I enjoyed the book none-the-less. Koontz starts out this book with a satirical and sarcastic history of the "rarest" book, that being The Book of Counted Sorrows, of which there is only one true book that he keeps safe from librarians, thieves, and politicians.

After a very long, drawn out, much distracting and digressive history, we are presented with less than 12 pages of the actual prose.

The poetry contained none that I remember him quoting in his books (as
Jaden
The only reason I am giving 4.5 stars out of 5 is because I kept thinking "if only it were longer..."

I began reading this book with no - good - expectations whatsoever. Rather I thought it would be a cheesy book about badly written poetry as means for further profit for the author. Thankfully, I was proved wrong - hell yeah!

Koontz's peculiar sense of humor shone once more throughout the entirety of The Book of Counted Sorrows. The so-called "intro" was in fact an ironic, fictitious short story
Lora
If I had paid a large sum of money to buy the limited-edition book (instead of borrowing the e-book from the library,) I would be really pissed off right now.

As it stands, I am really just dumbfounded. Close to 75% of this book was a convoluted introduction/history of the book. The poetry was mostly a bad joke-not all of it, a few were quite good.

I'm giving one star for Mr. Koontz's use of extremely long sentences.
Emily
What a letdown! I loved the poetry, but by the time I got to it I hated this book. I love Dean Koontz, but I can only take so much of his 'humor' at a time. The 'Introduction' was horrid, and was 1/2 of the book, that's not an intro. I want my $30.00 back.
bobby
I've always loved how Dean Koontz would add the poetry before some of the chapters throughout his novels. I, like others, kept searching for this 'The Book of Counted Sorrows' which never existed at one time. I'm glad he has put together an actual book.
Amy Featherstone
So I read this not really expecting much if I am perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, I do love Koontz but poetry really isn't my thing. However, the 'introduction' and history of The Book of Counted Sorrows is what made me give this 5 stars. I thought the book was hilarious (which probably says more about me then I mean it to) and was definitely a light read compared to his suspense novels. A great change of pace.
It didn't make me a fan of poetry though :D
Andrew
This book was long over due - I remember seeing the first references to it almost from the first Dean Koontz I read all those years ago. Yes at the time I knew that it was a factious book with only limited material created to add a certain flare to the book you were about to read. But as I read more of his books and more material was written referring back to this book of counted sorrows so I think fiction took on a life of its own. I remember (rather embarrassingly now - writing to the UK publi ...more
Hails
I am amazed at the history of this book! I was intrigued about the quotes from the start of his novels but had never actually gotten around to searching for it, but always curious. I knew one day I would get to it.
Then I found his website! It had an explanation that so many fans had to written to him asking him on how to find this nonexistent tome, that he published it! So of course I ordered it right away from his website. So happy when it arrived and the poems are great!
This book is made of
Tray
Shockingly funny. I expected it to be dark and creepy, but it turns out Koontz has a broader writing style than I ever expected. So great.
Damaris
Sep 23, 2011 Damaris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
can anybody tell me if can download it, i rlly do not wanna pay over $700 for it! plz n thank u!
Robert Beveridge
Dean Koontz, The Book of Counted Sorrows (Barnes and Noble Digital, 2001)

First, as to The Book of Counted Sorrows itself: spare yourself the pain and indignity. “Doggerel” is too kind a word for how ugly the poetry to be found in here is. The verse here is on the stylistic and artistic level of a Helen Steiner Rice or a Rod McKuen (both of whom, actually, have a right to feel offended by the comparison). It might make for good acoustic folk music by a particularly enthusiastic, but talentless, g
Mary
Jan 05, 2014 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Mary by: family
Shelves: koontz
I have never given Dean Koontz a 2 star rating but had no choice in this one. Very short and disappointing book of about 70 pages. I have looked for this mythical book of poems and a bit of wisdom that he occasionally starts books or chapters with. The first 50 pages (!) were a sort of adolescent humor rambling on about exploding heads and emulsified brain on the ceiling and other stupid horrible things that would happen if you read the book. I think even he got bored and disgusted with what he ...more
Dalene Kolb
This is the first thing I have read from Dean Koontz. It was a quick read but dark. Dark and depressing but some parts are funny. A good collection of poems.
Jessica Saccone
It's definitely a fun and interesting read for any Dean Koontz fan, you can tell he had a lot of fun writing it and it makes it really fun and uplifting to read. It has his typical dry, dark, sarcastic humour for the first half of the book.

Then, it has his poetry for half of it.

Though, no, it may not be the best poetry (not that it's bad, he's just no William Shakespeare or Edgar Allan Poe!), it was still great to see my favourite writer come out of his writing comfort zone and try something new
Daniel DeGuia
I pre-ordered this because I've been reading Dean Koontz since I was in junior high and was immediately captivated by the "excerpts" he would slip in from The Book of Counted Sorrows.

When I received it, after waiting some 15 years for the actual book to release, I was really disappointed. The book was extremely thin and had more content by way of a story about a squirrel than it did the style of prose the book became in such high demand.
Kris
Finally! :-)

All Koontz fans have been waiting for this book since we have been
seeing quotes from it in his books. Most of the quotations I do not recall from
previous writings.

The introduction is almost as long as the book itself. Although I will
cherish this book I was slightly disappointed in the length and quantity
of 'sayings'.
Gennifer
For a while I searched for this book after getting little snipits in each and every book Koontz has written... a little phrase here... a short story there... and then when this book was finally released... I was all too excited and not let down by what I encountered
Starla B
I bought this e-book while I was in college, long before I had an e-reader. I loved it so much. Unfortunately it was lost to me as I moved around after school. Hopefully some day I will be able to procure another copy (without paying an exorbitant price.)
Carrie Donohue
Sep 23, 2011 Carrie Donohue marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz-king
I have seen quotes from this book for years, I am excited that I finally found the actual book. As soon as I read this I will go back and reread every Koontz book to better appreciate the chapter headings.!! JOY!!!
David Devere
A genuinely hilarious and offbeat send off of Dean's most popularly requested and unheard of poetry. A real slice of genius that shows off some of Dean's early talent, and his later brilliance.
Angelia Matthews
This book is so hard to find!!! I love it and the fact that it was written after Dean Koontz quoted it in several of his novels. It is a must read and very inspirational.
Willow
this is what i've waited decades for a compilation of all those horrifyingly beautiful chapter headings in dean koontz novels in one book! fanr=tastic
Maryann
Feb 13, 2012 Maryann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Scott
I loved this - having all the quotes that Dean has used throughout the years in his novels was wonderful!
Christine
Glad to find out this book does exist! I was nearly part of his fan letters asking about its existence.
Ron
Hilarious opening! Didn't know Dean Koontz writes this way too.
Teresa Crawford
Possibly - the drivels of a man's mind gone mad?
Nina
what an interesting way to get people to read your poems
VRE2011: Questions about Books 3 8 Oct 13, 2011 04:17PM
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Nevermore
  • Dragonfly
  • Demon Child
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living
  • Predators
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“On the Road that I have taken, one day walking I awaken, amazed to see where I've come, where I'm going, where I'm from.” 111 likes
“Now take my hand and hold it tight.
I will not fail you here tonight,
For failing you, I fail myself
And place my soul upon a shelf
In Hell's library without light.
I will not fail you here tonight.”
59 likes