Start by marking “Viking Fire (Conquest Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Viking Fire (Conquest Trilogy #2)

Viking Fire (Conquest Trilogy #2)

In 1035, a young fifteen year old Viking is dragged wounded from the battle. Left for dead, for the next twenty years his adventures lead him over mountains, down the length of Russia and ultimately to Constantinople and the Holy City of Jerusalem.

Drawn into political intrigue he will be the lover of Empresses, the murderer of an emperor; he will hold the balance of power
Published September 22nd 2016 by Little,Brown

To ask other readers questions about Viking Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking Fire

Rebecca
Oct 02, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Harald Hardrada is one of my FAVOURITE Viking Kings EVER! I have read both fictional & non-fiction books on his epic journey from zero to hero but I will confess Justin Hill's 2nd novel which focuses on this giant of Norse history, is the first that has made me fall deeply in love with him. Almost as much as I fell in love with King Cnut in Helen Hollick's Hollow Crown.
Harald's is a story that involves him facing and overcoming challenge after challenge and shaping him to be the great Norweg
Kate
Sep 17, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Thoroughly entertaining saga of the last great Viking, perhaps the greatest of them all, Harald Hardrada.

A review: https://forwinternights.wordpress.com...
Robin Carter
Sep 22, 2016 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
Review

Its been 5 years since Shieldwall, the immensely impressive first book in the Conquest Trilogy. I personally have been waiting for this book with bated breath (and i may have nagged him a few times), Justin Hill is a hugely talented writer, so when my advance copy landed i dived right in.

This book follows the life of Harald Hardrada, aka King Haraldr Sigurðarson given the epithet Hardrada (harðráði, roughly translated as “stern counsel” or “hard ruler”. Justin Hill takes his life story fro
Matthew Harffy
Oct 17, 2016 Matthew Harffy rated it it was amazing
Justin Hill is a terrific writer. His prose oozes poetry and a real sense of the time and place of his novels. In Harald Hardrada's saga, Viking Fire, Hill gives us a flawed and likable character, told in the Norwegian warrior-king's own words (as recounted to a priest in Britain before his death). This is the second of Hill's novels set during the build up of the Battle of Hastings. The first is Shieldwall, which is told from multiple viewpoints in third person. In Viking Fire, Hill has decided ...more
Andy Wormald
Oct 10, 2016 Andy Wormald rated it it was amazing
Following on from Shieldwall, this books centres on the life of Harold Hardrada and follows the story of a young boy who turns into a king and who ultimately ends his life at the battle of Stamford Bridge, yes we all know the ending but the story leading up to this is both fascinating and informative for me the height of great historical fiction, the writing is rich in descriptive passages of hard times, harsh landscapes and bloody battles, the characters brought beautifully to life on the ...more
Steven Teasdale
Oct 13, 2016 Steven Teasdale rated it it was amazing
Excellent book recommend everyone to check it out.
Stuart Pauley
Oct 13, 2016 Stuart Pauley rated it it was amazing
Great read :) VERY GRIPPING I DID NOT WANT TO PUT IT DOWN .
Jonathan Redman
Oct 07, 2016 Jonathan Redman rated it it was amazing
Story of Harald Hardrada from his life as the youngest son of a Norwegian lord, following his brother to war which ends up in his exile from his home land travelling through modern Russia to the service of the Eastern Roman Empire, where upon he becomes one of the most feared war leaders of the Middle Ages.

Spans a number of major battles as well as small skirmishes each of which is wonderfully written, and a period of 50 years living as a trader, traditional Viking through to lord and eventually
Deborah Pickstone
6 stars

I had been waiting for this for a long time.....well, it seemed a long time! Finally, last night I had it in one hot little hand but.....in the other was my Budgeting Course homework and there's just no competition, is there? What burgeoning Budget Advisory Person is going to pass up writing a cash flow for a mere novel? Well, I was always the most unlikely Budget Advisor anyone could ever have imagined (for so very many reasons!) so I chose the novel.

Justin Hill writes the story, the ver
Michael
Oct 22, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
il keep my review short and simple as i could never match Matthew Harffy's eloquence, and i would direct you there if you want to read a detailed and insightful synopsis of this book. from me i will just that I'm sure that this is a future classic on the life times of one of history's most memorable characters. this will sit high in my all time lists, and from the author of the magnificent and compelling Shieldwall. an essential reading companion to the era i think.
Marcus Wilson
Nov 16, 2016 Marcus Wilson rated it liked it
I like this writer a lot, he really brings the age he is writing about to life for me. Was expecting this book to be more action packed in the mould of Bernard Cornwells Last Kingdom, but it is nothing of the sort, the climatic Battle of Stamford Bridge being a little disappointing.
Haider Ali
Nov 02, 2016 Haider Ali rated it it was amazing
What a powerful read!
Well-researched and beautifully written. Unputdownable.
aventino
aventino rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
peter walton
peter walton rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
mr cp davis
mr cp davis rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
ms db king
ms db king rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Terri
Terri added it
Apr 18, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Johan
Johan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Marcelo Franco
Marcelo Franco marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Simone de Blanck
Simone de Blanck marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Renzo
Renzo marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Magda Kossakowska
Magda Kossakowska marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Sorshaliz
Sorshaliz marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Bernadette Bowles
Bernadette Bowles marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Riot_like_a_sir
Riot_like_a_sir marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Gary Proudfoot
Gary Proudfoot marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
James Ledger
James Ledger marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jamie
Jamie added it
May 12, 2015
John Bailey
John Bailey marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Ciobair
Ciobair marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Claudio Delzanno
Claudio Delzanno marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Joe Sims
Joe Sims marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Justin is an English novelist whose work has twice been nominated for the Man Booker Prize. He was born in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island in 1971 and was brought up in York. He was educated at St Peter's School, York, and was a member of St Cuthbert's Society, Durham University.

He worked for seven years as a volunteer with VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) in rural China and Africa, before returni
More about Justin Hill...

Conquest Trilogy (2 books)
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)