Start by marking “Trumpet of Conscience” as Want to Read:
Trumpet of Conscience

Trumpet of Conscience

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  10 reviews
History has a way, it seems, of turning men in to convenient myths: witness Martin Luther King, whose provocative anti-war sentiments and zealous advocacy of the poor are often shunted to the background to make room for more comfortable outpourings such as his "l have a dream" speech. This book contains five all-but-forgotten speeches from the end of King's life, including ...more
Published January 1st 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Trumpet of Conscience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trumpet of Conscience

Dead Wrong by Richard BelzerLetter from the Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King Jr.The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XA Testament of Hope by Martin Luther King Jr.A Call to Conscience by Martin Luther King Jr.
Essential Reading For A King
52nd out of 60 books — 32 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynThe Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles
Rising Up and Rising Down
135th out of 347 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
There are 79 pages if you count MLK's bio at the end. That said, what a powerful book. I had always heard speeches, read recollections, but I had never read his words. This collection was awesome. What a great orator and writer. It saddens me that with a few name/date/issue changes, nothing much has changed. And yet so much has changed. I definitely recommend his work. Totally accessible, moving, inspirational, exciting. Loved it.
Rachael Cain
Amazing. Particularly interesting since these were the lectures he gave in Canada. I had flagged and highlighted almost every page of this book when I loved a particular passage until I just gave up and accepted that the entire book is incredible. His "Christmas Sermon on Peace" is the most beautiful thing I have ever read. Highly, highly recommend.
BONDing over BOOKS
"Peace and civil rights don't mix. Aren't you hurting the cause of your people? When I hear such questions, I have been greatly saddened for they mean that my inquirers have never really known me, my commitment, or my calling." These were words that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. recalled being spoken to him by many who questioned his decision to publicly oppose the government's policy regarding the Vietnam War. He wrote of this in his book, The Trumpet of Conscience.

The Trumpet of Conscience is a
Amal
What can I say? It' Martin Luther King Jr. and his speeches are as relevant today as they were then. Truly inspirational. I especially enjoyed his "Conscience and the Vietnam War" speech, "Youth and Social Action" speech, and "A Christmas Sermon on Peace".
Here's a glimpse: "Our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective. No individual can live alone; no nation can live alone, and as long as we try, the more we are
Alix Hope
Dec 14, 2014 Alix Hope added it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's unsettling to think how much of these speeches are still applicable to the modern world and our modern circumstances. It shows how slowly we plod in matters of justice, that's for sure.
Anthony
This book was written for people like me.
Chris
King is a true giant. Rhetoric which has no equal, perhaps, in the twentieth century. Chilling. He speaks with a passion and a holy anger that thrills. A short read and definitely worth it.
Heather Jones
Simply wonderful. Thought provoking rhetoric that while quick and easy to read really sinks in deep when you take your time and think about what he is speaking about.
Melody
Jan 05, 2015 Melody added it
Enlightening
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
MissGe
MissGe marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jonathan Diaz
Jonathan Diaz is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ryan Cutcliffe
Ryan Cutcliffe marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Mark
Mark added it
Feb 28, 2015
Asher Lovy
Asher Lovy marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Captain Bex
Captain Bex marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Bradi
Bradi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Garfield Debarros
Garfield Debarros marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Conversations Between Texts 4 4 Jan 30, 2012 06:59AM
Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the pivotal leaders of the American civil rights movement. King was a Baptist minister, one of the few leadership roles available to black men at the time. He became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the Montgomery Bus Boycott (1955–1956) and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1957), serving as its first president. His ef ...more
More about Martin Luther King Jr....
The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. Why We Can't Wait Letter from the Birmingham Jail A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches I Have a Dream / Letter from Birmingham Jail