Start by marking “Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus” as Want to Read:

Come on, Pete!"

The kitties on the bus say,
"Come on, Pete!
Hop on board!"

Pete the Cat can't wait to drive the school bus all the way to school! Everyone's favorite cat is groovier than ever in this way- cool adaptation of the classic kids' song "The Wheels on the Bus"!
Audio
Published June 25th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Cat

Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: PETE THE CAT: THE WHEELS ON THE BUS by James Dean, HarperCollins, June 2013, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-06-219871-6

"The bus came by and I got on, that's where it all began"
-- Grateful Dead (I'm currently listening to a scorching TOO from 11/4/77, the Cotterell Gym at Colgate)

Move over, Pigeon and Cowboy Neal! Pete the Cat's in the driver's seat on this bus.

"The kitties on the bus say 'Come on, Pete!'
'Come on, Pete!' 'Come on, Pete!'
The kitties on the bus say 'Come on, Pete!' all day lon
Valerie
I do a sing along at the library where I work. Every week I read a book or two to break up the half hour of songs. Usually, I try to find books that are also songs. The Pete the Cat series is my favorite. While I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of amazing Pete books, I saw what appeared to be a mini series coming out of familiar songs. This was pretty much what I hoped for, a retelling of The Wheels on the Bus with Pete the Cat charm. Sometimes I have a group of older kids, and this wil ...more
Linda
Based on the creation of James Dean, this latest Pete the Cat book is sure to leave you singing.

Boldly colorful and silly as Pete the Cat books are, The Wheels on the Bus has cats plus one dog riding on a school bus singing this oh-so-familiar tune. Pete drives the bus while staring through the windshield of this bright yellow school bus. The words of the song flow along the pages with new verses and added twists. He keeps his serious, straight face throughout while the readers are having fun, s
Susan
At first, this looked like it might be a book I'd want to get for my grandkids. But it was actually rather boring, with very little creativity in the text. Though the illustrations are cute, that's not enough to carry the book. For kids who already know the "Wheels on the Bus" song, it's unnecessary; and, as another reviewer mentioned, the few changes could actually be rather confusing when it's not clear whether one is singing the original version or Pete's.
Tima
Pete the Cat is driving a bus for all of the little kittens and one small dog. Following the same rhyming pattern of the popular children's song, the book takes the reader on a journey through a day of sounds with Pete the cat. The book is written to follow the song, so is not written as a story. Young readers will enjoy the rhyming patterns that can be either read or sung. The illustrator has filled each page with color and helps to bring the story alive. The different fonts make the writing s ...more
Jasmine
Cute, although I'm not a huge fan of the type. It was on sale at B&N so we got it. I wouldn't have gotten it normally, but it was worth the discounted price, I think...
Christine Grant
Finding new books to use with my Movement and Music program can be a little challenging. This was just okay. A few of the pages were a stretch but the kids did like it.
Vivian
A story time about going to school wouldn't be complete without a rousing chorus of "The Wheels on the Bus". So many versions, so little time. Pete will always charm.
Tracie
Awesome adaptation of a song already cherished by kiddos. This was the first Pete the Cat book we ever read and we have been avid Pete the Cat fans ever since!
Craig
A fun find at the library. I would probably have given it three stars, but Chloe says "really liked it" sounds closer to how she felt about it.
Susan
Another offering from the Pete the Cat author...oh wait...it says "based on the creation of James Dean"...since it is essentially the wheels on the bus song with only slightly altered and vaguely jazzed out lyrics - I guess why tamper with a classic - and the usual groovy Pete the Cat art with very serious kitty faces. I love the first Pete the Cat so I get a little sad when a book is a hit and they just roll out every variation of a theme they can think of...however, I can see this used as a si ...more
Karen
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library yesterday.

My son LOVES Pete the Cat, and he likes Wheels on the Bus, so we thought this would be a great read. It was a good read, or sing, but not a great one.

This book is pretty much Wheels on the Bus with a few extra verses. The verses aren't especially clever, unlike earlier Pete the Cat books. Because the text is so static, so are the illustrations. With a few exceptions, they are just Pete as a bus-driver. This book is definitely
The Styling Librarian
Pete the Cat The Wheels on the Bus by James Dean – Yep, Pete the Cat and the Wheels on the Bus song…
Heather Mize
This one goes on an on...it's an elongated version of wheels on the bus. But it's cute and fun and my toddler likes it.
Jessica Crockett
Loved it! The pictures are amazing and it's easy to remember (after singing it 4 billion times).
Beth
Mar 15, 2014 Beth added it
Shelves: children-s
Pete is the driver on the bus until the dog drives for a bit so the cats can rock out and jam.
Monica Williams
Very cute, great for reading/singing aloud. A classic song with some Pete twists.
Nessie
Not as good as other Pete the Cat books but I love the illustrations as usual.
Drusilla
A Pete the Cat book put to his version of Wheels on the Bus.
Adam Gutschenritter
Used this to teach my daughter wheels on the bus
Karin
Fans of Pete the Cat will enjoys this book even though it is, for the most part, just the song "Wheels on the Bus." Kiddos will definitely love singing along.

Pete the Cat is the bus driver in this version of the song. All day long he deals with the kitties and one dog that ride. To school? Maybe. We never know where the go. At one point in the book, Pete the Cat is sitting on top of the bus playing guitar while the poor little puppy is forced to drive. But, by the end, Pete is back in the driver
Danna
What a great to teach figurative language.
Karrie
So much fun!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Pete the Cat drives a bus and sings the classic song, "The Wheels on the Bus."

It's another book to enjoy during the a transportation story time. If Pete the Cat is adored, it's a win! If Pete the Cat isn't a favorite, there are other wheels on the bus books available to read (or sing).

Reviewed from a preview copy at ALA 2013.

---

Shared this book at the school visit and the elementary students loved reading/singing it with me. It's a familiar song with one of the newest and hippest characters.
John Boettcher
Good children's book. There are other Pete the Cat books that are much better than this one, pretty much a knock off of the traditional song that all toddlers learn when they are young. I really like the author and artist, who actually do a fairly decent job with most of their stuff.

The redeeming factor for this book is the ability if you have a NOOK to record your own voice for the book which makes it an absolute RIOT for the kids when the book is being read back to them in full sound.
Nick
Pete the Cat is not one of my favorites, although this book has some clever bits. It's basically the standard children's song, but with a few added verses, all illustrated with with Pete involved, mostly as the bus driver [or as the guitarist, but that's another story].
Other than the illustrations, Pete is only a part of the song in a couple of verses, so it's not really a Pete the Cat book, but kids who know both his books and this song will enjoy the combination.
Margaret
I've been seeing this book cover around a lot lately, as it's part of a special deal at Barnes & Noble. I believe it something like you buy two children's books and can buy this one at a special $5 price! Worth it!

Funny! Sing along with Pete and the kitties in this classic of "the wheels on the bus" with several new verses. Some verses specific to a school bus. More verses specific to Pete the Cat. Fun and definitely an interactive read.

Thanks to HC.
Amy
My students get soooooo excited about Pete the Cat!!! They just love him!! Even though there is very little added here to the classic song "Wheels on the bus," my students won't care a bit. They will love it anyway. I will say that I would probably recommend this book for preschoolers, unless I used it at the very beginning of the year with my kindergartners. Any later in the year, they might think they are too "mature" for "Wheels."
Cheyenne
Cute Pete the Cat Wheels on the Bus rendition.
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • Night Light
  • Deep in the Sahara
More about James Dean...
Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read) Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read) Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool