Start by marking “Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac” as Want to Read:
Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac

Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac

In this wickedly funny guide, professional astrologer Hazel Dixon-Cooper casts off sugar-coated astrology in favor of exploring the maladjusted side of the universe. If you want the inside scoop, the real deal, the lowdown on each sun sign, then look no further. It's time to forget those traditional astrology books where Sagittarians are gregarious, Capricorns are ambitiou ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Born on a Rotten Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born on a Rotten Day

Kaitlin
Mar 16, 2009 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
This book is dry and humorous. I don't recommend reading your friend their sign. I've had two people leave my house because of it.
T.B. Cooper
Oct 25, 2016 T.B. Cooper rated it it was amazing
This book review is for Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac by Hazel Dixon-Cooper

There are probably just a handful of books that I refer to often enough that the pages have become tattered, the covers bent and worn… This is one of them. I find excuses to bring it down from the shelf, all too frequently, that I've ended up building a smaller shelf to keep it closer at hand. What makes this book so special?

Well, let's start with the author. Hazel Dixon-Co
Bonnie Randall
Jul 07, 2013 Bonnie Randall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology
Hey, baby…what’s your sign?

I could *tell you* how hysterical this caustic, kicky little astrological guide is, but I would much rather *show you*. Here’s some quoted gems about each sign (THAT ARE TOTALLY TRUE, DO NOT DENY THEM) that’ll make ya wanna deny the Sun you were born under:

You a Leo? “In romance you have all the finesse of a sailor returning from a twelve month cruise, and secretly everyone had hoped you’d gotten eaten by a crocodile.” Or maybe just disfiguringly bitten…?

Libra: “You’re
Lizzie
Apr 25, 2010 Lizzie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, astrology, reviewed
Born on a Rotten Day takes traditional astrology a bit further and gives insight on how to survive coexisting with each sun sign. The general descriptions made me laugh: the quality of my sign, Gemini, is described as "Mutable. Gemini is the human version of the revolving door." Each sign is divided into different categories: If You Love One - Man/Woman, If You Are One - Born Rotten, It's All Relative - The (Sign) Family, Office Party (each sign in the workplace), and Can't We All Get Along? (Ba ...more
Susan
I found this fantastic book at Borders this week. Call it kismet, destiny, or fate, Born on a Rotten Day drew me in, across the floor of my local Borders, and had me laughing out loud in seconds. I'm serious, people - it's a good thing I was in a book store and not a library, 'cause the noise I was making was totally shush-worthy!

The idea behind this off-the-wall book is that we've been lied to by astrologists for years. If you've ever read your horoscope or seen a report detailing your astrolog
Adriana Scarpin
Aquariano: Seu cérebro é como uma enciclopédia com várias páginas faltando. Você confunde pedaços de uma conversa que teve há um ano com o documentário sobre as pirâmides que você viu na semana passada. Daí,você insiste que teve uma conversa com o curador de um museu egípcio sobre as relíquias encontradas na tumba do Rei Tut. A parte triste é que você acredita em suas fantasias e, portanto, você é não apenas uma fraude como também muito pirado. Os alienígenas seqüestram aquarianos com maior freq ...more
Writer's Relief
Aug 12, 2015 Writer's Relief rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a fresh, sarcastic, and blunt take on astrology, look no further. The last thing Dixon-Cooper does is sugarcoat the personalities of each astrological sun sign while offering a hilarious perspective on the dirty truth. For example, whereas Sagittarians are typically described as gregarious and outgoing travelers, Dixon-Cooper makes it clear that they talk about travelling more than actually going anywhere. In fact, according to Dixon-Cooper, a Sagittarian’s idea of adventur ...more
Amy
Feb 10, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Ok. this book was hilarious! Most astrology paints most signs is favorable lights but this book let it all hang out there. It called a spade a slade. The Virgo was not depicted as it usually is as "organized, and self assured" it called me a cheap fuzzbudget who is anal and hard to please.... that sounds much more like me. It wasnt kind to any sign but it was fun to read and share alike.
Amber Hudson
I study astrology, and most books are always given the positive info on each sign. This book was different it gives the negative things on a persons' sign, in which gives you a better perspective of the good and bad traits. Love this book...Still use it to this day...
Linda
Feb 03, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
wow, nothing good to say about anyone in this book! I think it is a bit close to the truth, but not pleasant at all!
Pinkerton
Feb 08, 2017 Pinkerton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: costumi-persone
Dilettevole volume adatto a tutti che gioca in modo ilare sugli influssi (costantemente negativi) degli astri sul carattere. Fornisce schede dettagliate per ogni segno zodiacale che rispecchiano in chiave spiritosa tanto noi quanto i nostri conoscenti e persino relative contromisure da adottare. Nel complesso si può riassumere con la citazione riportata sul retro del libro… “In qualunque giorno siate nati, una cosa è certa: era IL GIORNO SBAGLIATO”.
Eleonara
Sep 21, 2015 Eleonara rated it liked it
ehhhhh. Some parts of it were funny butttt it was pretty repetitive and a lot of it just seemed like stereotypes of signs ". I could picture a wine mom reciting the contents of this book, to which the other wine moms would reply "oh Debra, you really are so zany!!! LOL". You may say that I am just complaining because my fragile Leo ego can't face the truth of the book, but believe me I was prepared to get wrecked. Please, I want and anticipate getting called tf out. Instead, I felt like none of ...more
Lyric
Mar 12, 2009 Lyric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Astrology fans
Recommended to Lyric by: Found at the bookstore
This book is really fun. Instead of focusing on all of the positive things about astrology, it turns the tables and tells about all of the flaws that each sign possesses. It gives a breakdown for the men, women, children, siblings and co-worker sides of each sign, so you can look up anybody that has any part in your life. I have found that most of the things this book says are true!
I find that this book is a big hit at parties. People often like to read aloud the horribly insulting definitions.
Eleclyah

Preparatevi al lato oscuro dello Zodiaco!
Se volete farvi delle grasse risate a spese dell’oroscopo dei vostri conoscenti (ehi, ma non pensate di essere tanto fortunati da evitare la vostra dose!), Sfigology è il libro che fa per voi: è impertinente, divertente, pazzesco e sorprendentemente più vero degli oroscopi più azzeccati che abbiate mai letto.
Non ci credete? Beh, allora leggetelo!
Nick Fagerlund
Jul 10, 2011 Nick Fagerlund rated it did not like it
I was trying to use this in a character-design exercise, mining it for believable collections of harmonious personality flaws, but it ended up disappointing me -- just another specimin of unenlightening and formulaic astrology, nothing to see here. (And the prose was an excruciatingly cutesy mess, I mean god damn.)

The only fun part was that the Pisces section pretty much got me personally dead to rights. I suppose a stopped star clock is always going to be right for SOME douchebag.
Amber
Jan 07, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok
At first, this book was really funny. (I read it front to back, not just looking at the signs I cared about). By the time I got a few chapters in, it started to feel very repetitive and forced. Definitely worth taking a look if you have free access, but I regret paying for it. Every chapter is very much the same, just different adjetives. Entertaining, but not enlightening. Oh well.
Carole
Mar 02, 2011 Carole rated it really liked it
Funny and in some cases surprisingly accurate. I always thought my mom was a little crazy now I find out it's just because she's a cancer. Even for myself there were parts that are surprisingly accurate such as my hatred for housework is just because I'm a sagittarius. Go figure. Read it for fun but don't share unless you know they have a sense of humour.
Christine
Mar 07, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
This book had me laughing from the first page on. I started to read it out loud for my husband. I read the majority of the book out loud to my husband and neighbor. I love astrology and I would suggest this fun book for anyone. This would be great for someone looking to learn more about sun signs. I find the humor helps me remember better. This is a book I would give as a gift time and again.
Kelly
Sep 29, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
I love this book! I dig it out of mu book shelf every now and then and have a flick through it. It's well written, informative and very funny. Probably not for you if you can't have a good laugh at yourself, but otherwise, I highly recommend it!
Jessica
Jun 27, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
A great book to know the real meaning behind the Zodiac. It doesn't sugar coat them. It is funny and it is straightforward. If you can't handle the truth this book isn't right for you unless you want to know the truth of you and your families signs truth behind them. Great book!
Sara
Jul 06, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious and it nailed everyone's personality!
(I'm an air symbol, who "is boss backbiter, belittler and bimbo." My favorite pastime is smirking and my favorite book is How to Marry Yourself.)*

*The book's words, not mine!
Karen
May 10, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
If you want to make fun of the people in your life, this book is a handy tool in that endeavor. Enjoy with family and friends. You can laugh at each other's quirks because the book points them out and you don't have to.
Zdream
Jul 05, 2011 Zdream rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone whose alive
Recommended to Zdream by: my friend sukie
Shelves: humor, new-age
Love love love! Astrology is no longer behind vague terms and sugar coated. Everyone who has ever read this book says "That's SO true!" at least ten times per chapter. even if your a skeptic, this book will have you looking at astrology as more than just a newspaper filler.
Trina
Jan 24, 2010 Trina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-bookcase
This book is a funny read for anyone who has a twisted sense of humor and understands that for all the wonderful things about us as people born under a sign, there is a dark side to us all that needs to be emrabced too.
Eve
Apr 21, 2010 Eve rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, snarky and witty astrology. It's a laugh-out-loud read that's great for group gatherings (or at the Thanksgiving dinner table) that points out the dark side of each sign that we can all so. very. much. relate to.
Krishanna
Amusing read and take on Astrological signs.
Willa Grant
Feb 17, 2008 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Willa by: Fiona
This book is so funny (& embarassing when you read about yourself) it reminds us that we all have not so hot traits-
Priscilla Sage
Apr 10, 2016 Priscilla Sage rated it it was amazing
It's nice to see a book that gets to the root of our signs.
Jennifer B.
Jul 12, 2016 Jennifer B. rated it it was amazing
I love these kinds of books, no one is spared. Great for parties, as everyone can see a bit of themselves in the darker sides of their signs.
Hannah Whitley
Apr 21, 2008 Hannah Whitley rated it really liked it
Very insightful as to the dark side of astrology, but most of all hilarious!
  • Darkside Zodiac
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Parker's Astrology: The Definitive Guide to Using Astrology in Every Aspect of Your Life (New Edition)
  • Linda Goodman's Love Signs: A New Approach to the Human Heart
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
  • How to Spot a Bastard by His Star Sign: The Ultimate Horrorscope
  • Sextrology: The Astrology of Sex and the Sexes
  • Astrology for the Soul
  • The Astrologer's Handbook
  • The Secret Language of Birthdays: Personology Profiles for Each Day of the Year
  • The Power of Birthdays, Stars & Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide
  • The Handbook of Chinese Horoscopes
  • Sex Signs: Every Woman's Astrological and Psychological Guide to Love, Health, Men and More!
  • Astrology for Lovers
  • Planets in Transit: Life Cycles for Living
  • Astrology, Karma and Transformation: Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart
  • Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine

“The good news is that she is one of the nicest people in the universe. The bad news is, that's because she always does exactly what she pleases. An Aquarius female is rebellious, headstrong, and contrary. She can be selfishly independent and exasperating, especially when she is running through the house screaming, "freedom!” 37 likes
“A boa notícia é que a aquariana é uma das pessoas mais legais do universo. A má é que isso é porque ela sempre faz exatamente o que quer. Uma mulher de Aquário é rebelde, cabeça-dura e do contra. Ela pode ser egoisticamente independente e irritante, principalmente quando está correndo pela casa gritando "Liberdade!
Esteja preparado para se sentir como se estivesse vivendo num lugar que é uma mistura de ponto de ônibus e consultório de psicanálise. Quando se trata de casamento de uma aquariana, a única coisa que seu cônjuge pode esperar é o divórcio.”
0 likes