Start by marking “Shakespeare of London” as Want to Read:

Shakespeare of London

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  10 reviews
classic
Paperback
Published June 27th 1991 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare of London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare of London

P.
Long ago Marchette Chute wrote a series of books about literary figures including, and perhaps exclusively as far as I know, Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Ben Jonson. I own and have read all of them. I think my favorite is Shakespeare of London, but Chaucer of England is delightful as well. In many ways they are touchstone books, charming, erudite without the ego and just fun. I found Ben Jonson the least interesting but this may be that I absolutely do not like Ben Jonson. I think it's a tribute to ...more
Melaszka
I first read this 20-25 years ago and have recently reread it.

There are a few niggling annoyances which I notice this time round, but missed the first time. Occasionally Chute's personal views intrude in an unhelpful way e.g. she seems to miss few chances to push her 20th century American capitalist worldview, with any Elizabethan collective practices dismissed as "impractical" and "mediaeval" and examples of free market trade highlighted and praised. She's also on very shaky grounds when she at
Peg
I found this account of life in London during the life of Shakespeare very helpful in better understanding his works. Very informative. Even tho it was written in 1947 it was very helpful. Don't know if there has been any more scholarship since then.
Dale Coye
This book written way back in 1949 still is a great read for anyone interested in Shakespeare's life. She takes the few threads we have on his family, neighbors, colleagues and the theatre world of London and weaves a chronicle of the times. She's a very witty writer.
Tia
An interesting look into Shakespeare's life... a little long-winded, but enlightening. :)
Greg Collver
good background on shakespeare, at times a little tedious in following side stories
Dana Stabenow
First book I ever read about Shakespeare. Still on my shelf.
Francine
This book helped supplement a text book I was using,
Vicky
The highest praise I can give to any historian is just not quite enough for Chute. Immediately became what I will reach for when my faith in humanity takes a dive - beautiful, inspiring, second-only to her Chaucer book.
Ben
Ben added it
May 20, 2015
Danijela Stevanovac
Danijela Stevanovac marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Anne E.
Anne E. marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Mary Davidson
Mary Davidson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Mark A.
Mark A. marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 08, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Feb 22, 2015
Nika
Nika marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
CHanelN5
CHanelN5 marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Charlene Keating
Charlene Keating marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Susan Degnan
Susan Degnan marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
  • The Victorian Age In Literature
  • Shakespearean Tragedy
  • The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street
  • A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare: 1599
  • Shakespeare and Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Jonson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher and the Other Players in His Story
  • The Shakespeare Wars: Clashing Scholars, Public Fiascoes, Palace Coups
  • The Confident Hope of a Miracle: The True Story of the Spanish Armada
  • The Elizabethan World Picture
  • The Mind of Adolf Hitler: The Secret Wartime Report
  • Shakespeare's Wife
Stories from Shakespeare Innocent Wayfaring The Wonderful Winter Introduction to Shakespeare Geoffrey Chaucer of England