Dawn on the Coast (The Babysitters Club, #23)

Dawn on the Coast (The Baby-Sitters Club #23)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,496 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Visiting her father on the west coast, Dawn is tempted to stay with him when she enjoys the beach, Disneyland, and a wealth of healthy restaurants, but the homesick baby-sitter fears leaving her mother and all of her friends. Reissue.
Paperback
Published August 15th 1996 by Scholastic Hippo (first published April 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn on the Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn on the Coast

Ciara
not my fave. dawn goes to california for a couple of weeks to visit her dad & her brother, jeff. her vists seems to be in the springtime, which is kind of weird. doesn't she have school? there's excitement because part of her visit coincides with vista (her former school) being on spring break, so she can spend a lot of quality time with her old friends. they somehow kept this a secret (which...doesn't jeff go to that school too? wouldn't he have spilled the beans?). they also manage to keep...more
Laura Hughes
On a visit to her father and brother in California, Dawn revels in the stereotypical California stuff she loves, like health food and not being on time. Her friend Sunny has even started her own baby-sitting club called the We ♥ Kids Club. It occurs to Dawn that she could try and stay indefinitely, like Jeff. She floats the idea with her parents, everyone deals with emotions and begins making inquiries and plans, and Dawn, in one of the Moments of Choice she and Stacey always seem to be in, make...more
Swankivy
So Dawn gets to go to California to visit her dad during spring break or something, and she reconnects with her old friends, old neighborhood, and family members. It's tough for her because she's having a great time (in vacation mentality, of course), and on top of that, her friend has started a babysitting club (because that's what everyone is doing everywhere!) and she gets to sit in on the meetings, so it's hard to think she's going to have to go back to Stoneybrook. Now, one thing I didn't l...more
Rachel Brand
I have fond memories of reading this book as a child but rereading it now I have to admit that nothing really happens in it. Dawn goes for a 2 week vacation with her dad and brother in California and enjoys it so much that she considers moving back permanently - but only briefly. She spends a couple of chapters considering it but then gets some postcards from her friends that makes her realise how much she'd miss her mum and her new friends in Connecticut. In the end, she decides to return home...more
Julie Decker
Dawn spends her vacation visiting her dad's side of the family in California--which also means she gets to reunite with her little brother and hang out with her old friends. She hangs out at the babysitting club that's formed amongst her old pals, and really feels like there's no way she'll ever be able to go back home again! Why can't she just have everything and everyone she loves in one place?

It's interesting that this series has two girls with the exact same problem--divorced parents, friend...more
This one really didn't age well. I guess I didn't relate much to Dawn when I was a kid. I get the health food kick, but it's so rampant right now. I almost wonder why she's not eating kale chips. Flying on a plane is the most obvious difference. Can anyone even meet you at the airport anymore, or see you off at the gate? I think Dawn should have had her own flight attendant since technically she's an unaccompanied minor.

Anyway, the core theme of divorce holds to the test of time. I think most ki...more
Edward Creter
Dawn has arrived back to California to see her father and younger (and much troubled) brother Jeff. Only now there's a Cali version of the BSC called We (> kids. So now she must decide between this babysitter's club or the original at Stoneybrook, Connecticut. I wish my own childhood was that complex. Sheesh!
Marian
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.

If I remember correctly, th...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
Idea Smith
A rather boring book that was probably only bunged in there to make sense of Dawn's move back later on in the series. The We <3 Kids Club isn't fun, funny or entertaining. The entire California response to Dawn's visit is overbright, excessively shiny and fake. And at the end of it all, the fact that Dawn chooses to return feels completely implausible.
Amie
Ceci Ng
One of my fave bsc books Dawn had always been my fave character....and when I was young I wanted to be like her blonde hair and blue eyes I want to be a California Girl! Haha funni I'm a typical chinese Asian girl haha
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 6513 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.0 - AR Pts: 4.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Kimberly
I loved the BSC series when I was younger and even more glad that I held on to them all these years so my children would be able to enjoy them as well. I would recommend for tween girls.
I read tons of these books, but this one was the best- mainly because I've wanted to live in California since I was about 5 (the reason Dawn was my favorite).
Sarah Smith
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Rhiannon1220
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Sally
One of my favourites, possibly because it was one of the first five I read AND I always had a crush on Dawn. ;)
Rylee
This is a really good book and it's great because it is set around the beach and I looove the beach!!!! ;)
Mamers
This was one of my faves... I can't even count how many times I read it.
Priya
This is the book that I always read whenever it gets sunny.
Amy Holcomb
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Pam
Is it sad that I remember what happened in all of these?
Noora
Välilukemista, normaalia tämän sarjan tasoa.
Lucy
read whole series&specials&karen series
Kara
More dull than I remembered....
  • Tug Of War (Sweet Valley Twins #14)

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)