Start by marking “The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love” as Want to Read:
The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love

The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Love can be surprising. Love can be heartbreaking. Love can be an art. But love is the singular emotion that all humans rely on most . . . and crave endlessly, no matter what the cost. United by this theme of love, the nine titles in the Penguin Great Loves collection include tales of blissful and all- encompassing, doomed and tragic, erotic and absurd, seductive and adult ...more
Paperback, Great Loves, #3, 128 pages
Published December 18th 2007 by Penguin (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Eaten Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eaten Heart

Shovelmonkey1
Basically Aesops Fables for lovers, this series of short medieval tales tell of love, lust and cuckoldry and delve into the frivolous and fantastic all of which still have an appeal today.

Sowing the seeds of love

If you are a lusty young Italian with the body of Adonis and the face of Paris, then what could be better than banging an equally lusty young nun? Why, banging nine nuns and the Abbess of course! Via his friend Nuto, the strapping young Masetto becomes aware of an “opening” at the local
Melki
If your reading lately has been sorely lacking in a certain bawdy ribaldry, you need look no further than the fourteenth century when Giovanni Boccaccio presented his The Decameron,the classic work involving ten Florentines who have escaped their plaque-ridden city and are passing the time by telling stories.

Penguin has collected eleven of the more, ahem, romantic stories here as part of their Great Loves series.

These gathered tales concern love and lots of s-e-x, though they are in no way remo
Christina
I love the idea that a group of people told these stories to each other in order to distract themselves from the Plague. What I don't love, however, is how... uninteresting these stories actually were. Even the title story, The Eaten Heart, was a let down. Here I am expecting the heart to be eaten right out of the lover's body, and instead it's just served to her on a plate. Disappointing.
Elaine
Fun, bawdy and occasionally a little disturbing. Semi adult fairy tales for the vaguely twisted. Part of the 'classic loves collection'.
Mia
While these stories were mostly fun and entertaining, there was not a lot of variety between them. The characters were essentially the same (the highly sexual yet unsatisfied female, the sexual male who can sate her desires, and the cuckholded male) in different scenarios, but the stories were short and generally amusing. My favourite was probably the first one; who DOESN'T want to read about a bunch nuns conspiring to have have sex with the sexy gardener.... as I type this, I feel like I am pit ...more
Jessica
These were a lot of fun to read. Short and funny, and I love the idea of a bunch of Florentines hiding in a cave from the Black Death telling each other risque stories. It was nice to take a break from the modern short story where you don't get the whole story and enjoy a bunch of stand-alone stories - I guess where tales differ from short stories is how they are always complete.
Although on the surface many of the tales seem trivial (quite a few run along the lines of boy meets girl, girl and bo
Lindsay Goto
Crude and humorous in a strange way, these are for people who didn't think their fairytales were raunchy enough. There are a lot of problems with them, or I found there were a lot of problems with them, but considering the time that they were produced that can be overlooked. The first story starts your right off in the ribald feeling with a man seducing nuns in a convent. The title talks about love, but a better one would be "Unlikely tales of sex" as that's what most stories revolve around.
Benjamin
I wanted to add more stars to this book because I love the object of this book. Part of Penguin's series of classics with a very hand-made feel. (Many books in the series have embossings and blind printing on the cover.) But the content only rated 3 stars.

The 3rd in Penguin's "Great Loves" series, this one contains 11 stories from Boccaccio's Decameron. Some the later stories in the book are quite nice—little tragedies similar to Romeo and Juliet where women keep their lover's head in a pot of
Maggi Hesseling
It's easy to understand where the modern comedy romances come from when you read these tales. Nun's gone awry, accidental bedswaps and much much more. It reminds the reader about the 14th century sense of humor. According to texts like these it was a romp and a riot. It really shows how great the penguin great lovers series is.
Sharon
Disturbingly engrossing, and vividly grotesque. Do not read at the dinner table. I enjoyed the outdated narrative, though the book is vague about when exactly these stories were told.
Rebecca
The stories were quite entertaining and short enough to remain captivating. Interesting to read stories from the 14th century.
Ana
What an amazing little book, part of Penguin's Great Loves series, which in itself is a thing of wonder - oh, how i love thee Penguin :o)
These (mostly bawdy) selected tales out of Boccaccio's Decameron are a delight, surprising me with their frankness and candor. And they were written in the 1300s! Quite funny as well. I'll definitely be grabbing myself a copy of the Decameron at some point, to dig more into it, now that i've had such a lovely taste.
Emilie
The stories in this book were all surprising coming from a 14th century writer. I found it interesting that female desire was seen as something normal and human - how things changed in centuries thereafter! The stories themselves weren't fantastic (and a couple were downright rapey), but it was a quick read every evening during a week where I struggled to find time for myself.
Emily Iliani
Very very very interesting and makes a fun, laid-back reading. Suitable for a weekend break at the beach.

However, instead of wasting money on a cheaper version, go for the real deal. Read the Decameron.

Anyway, this is the first title that got me so hooked on Boccaccio. Love every piece of it.
Elizabeth
Taken from the Decameron, these are the stories of "love". I remember the selections I read in high school were pretty funny, but these were hilarious. I'm not sure there were any morals to be gained and they certainly weren't very romantic, but I'm glad it was entertaining.
Leona Sheehy
I think Woody Allen must have read this book when he was researching 'Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask! Short stories, not about love, but sex in its various forms.
Alina Grace
Goodness....Love could not be any more exciting!!! A definite page turner with lots left to the imagination. If only Love and all this love making was as great now as it was before.....
Joanna Thirkettle
Loved this! Hilarious, gruesome at times too. A great lighthearted read. At times hard to believe this was written in 14th century!
Elaine
For a collection of short stories written in the 14th century, this was MUCH dirtier than I expected.
Missy
Mar 12, 2008 Missy added it
its easier to carry then Decameron....but that is not a good enough reason to read this book.
Ann Marie
Good bawdy fun, with a couple of disturbing tales ("Head in the Herbs"!). A great read!
Ben
Fun, bawdy tales of lusty wenches, nunnery seductions and wicked revenge.
Taina
These are cute, sometimes disturbing in their violence, medieval stories.
Celine Huizer
A little bit disturbing but a lot funnier than I had expected.
Brian
Quite silly, romantic and trashy at times. A fun, quick read!
Tim Caines
Enjoyable - some of the stories were even quite erotic!
Tianna
It's the Canterbury Tales, essentially.
Tales of stupid people doing stupid things in the name of love.

Quotes:
~ Whoever it was,
Whoever the villain
That stole my pot of herbs, etc.
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • A Mere Interlude
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Great Loves, #2)
  • Bodily Secrets
  • The Women Who Got Away
  • Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1)
  • Something Childish But Very Natural (Penguin Great Loves, #13)
  • Cures for Love
  • The Seducer's Diary
  • First Love
  • Poem Strip
  • The Worst Intentions
Giovanni Boccaccio (1313 – 21 December 1375) was an Italian author and poet, a friend and correspondent of Petrarch, and an important Renaissance humanist in his own right and author of a number of notable works including the Decameron, On Famous Women, and his poetry in the Italian vernacular. Boccaccio is particularly notable for his dialogue, of which it has been said that it surpasses in veris ...more
More about Giovanni Boccaccio...
The Decameron Mrs Rosie And The Priest (Little Black Classics #01) The Decameron: Selected Tales Life of Dante The Elegy of Lady Fiammetta