Start by marking “Animals on Board” as Want to Read:
Animals on Board

Animals on Board (MathStart Level 2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Ride along with trucker Jill and her dog as they add up the animals zooming by. But these are no ordinary animals, and they're bound for a surprise destination!

Ride along with trucker Jill and her dog as they add up the animals passing by on other trucks. But these are no ordinary animals, and theyre bound for a surprise destination! Lively illustrations by R.W. Alley make
Published August 8th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Animals on Board, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals on Board

Heather
I'm giving this 4 stars with one caveat - I think it's more a level 1 book instead of a level 2 book.

We follow a truck driver down the road and count various animals as they drive by on other trucks. Like 3 tigers plus 2 more tigers equal 5 tigers. Once the animals pass it shows a sign with the numbers written out and a small picture of each animal above it. So for 3+2=5 there are 3 small tigers above the 3 and 2 small ones above the 2.

My older boys (8 yrs old) listened with interest, but the ma
Khadija Bensaadoun
An interactive and fun book about a truck driver names Jill and her dog who count different zoo animals that pass them by.Its a great book to use when teaching fact families. The book only includes addition fact families by as the teacher reads the book she can ask the students the inverse of the math sentences that are in the story. During the book the Activity: the teacher will supply the students stuffed animals. The students will arrange them into groups and make up number stories about the ...more
Madison Bopp
This would be a great book to read with the class to discuss addition. I would read the story to the class and ask students to point to each animal and have us all count them together. After they count the animals, I would ask them questions such as "If there are 6 swans and 2 more are added, how many swans will there be in all?" After we have done this together as a class, I would then have the students work in their groups at their table with circus trains that I would have made and provided f ...more
Dolly
Dec 20, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, math, rhyming
We've read several of the MathStart books by Stuart J. Murphy and we have liked them all. Each has a different math principle and they range in levels from one to three. The stories are interesting and have colorful illustrations. But they also incorporate a simple math concept that is depicted in a way that children can easily understand. I love it!

This rhyming tale depicts a truck driver counting and adding different numbers of creatures on other trucks. The ending is a bit obvious and the nar
Vanessa Peavy
While driving her truck which carries a very special load, Jill counts and then adds the number of animals that she sees on other trucks as they pass her on the road.
This book is good for children 6 and up.

To use this book. I would have students make up number stories for the itmes that they choose. For example I would have them gather 8 markers and have them make a number story, "There are 4 red markers and 3 greens ones, and 1 yellow one. there are 8 markers altogether.
Elizabeth S
Wonderful book. A trucker drives down the road counting how many of various kinds of animals there are on different trucks. Then the trucker adds the numbers together, and the book shows the simple math sentences.

My 3-year-old loves it, and all she does is the counting part. I imagine it will be useful in the future when she's ready to do the simple addition as well. The text has a nice rhyming rhythm. A good picture book all by itself that also helps practice math.
Quynh Le
This is a great book for counting and I love how I can also tie it to a lesson on animals. The book also has explicit number problems in it, such as 3+2=5, which is helpful for anyone who need that kind of visual. I think the 'can you find..." page is great because it's interactive and it helps students to recognize the different types of animals out there.
Hatka Prozorac
The book Animals on Board by Stuart J. Murphy uses a variety of animals to introduce students to the concept of addition. The book also focuses on number sentences. The book can also be used as a resource for lessons on rhyming, adjectives, and verbs. This book can be used in first to third grade classrooms.
Rebecca Martin
This is a cute book to use for a math read aloud. As the teacher reads, the students can write the number problems. The teacher can cover up the equations in the book and then reveal the answers after the students finish writing the number problem.
Ellen
I like this book but I couldn't give it more stars because the answer to the addition questions are right on the page and makes me wonder if my child is truly adding or reading the answer?
Sheniqua
This book focuses on adding single digit numbers. It can also be an introductory book to begin discussing double digit addition and grouping large quantities together.
Christy
Doesn't start with one and go to ten. Three pandas and six swans--it's setting up a circus, and then counting all the horses, etc. at the end.
Karley
Mar 24, 2013 Karley added it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Great book to use when learning about addition in the early elementary grades. It could also be used when discussing patterns and counting.
Gina Starling
From the MathStart series, this story in rhyme lays out five simple addition problems. grades K-2 for teavhing addition.
Abi
This book is a fun interactive counting book. It helps children learn the basics of addition while adding zoo animals.
Airiel Owens
This book is good for addition and the fact that they are using zoo animals makes the book engaging for little kids.
Renae Williams
This book is fun because it is interactive. This is good to use for a lesson in counting.
Eugene Magee
This was a good book to read. You can use it when you are teaching you students addition.
This book is good for adding and working on counting skills through using zoo animals.
Diana
Great counting book for story time with zoo animals
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 2 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Get Up and Go!
  • Elevator Magic (MathStart Level 2)
  • The Best Vacation Ever
  • A Fair Bear Share
  • Super Sand Castle Saturday
  • Spunky Monkeys on Parade
  • Probably Pistachio (MathStart Level 2)
  • Let's Fly a Kite
  • Pepper's Journal: A Kitten's First Year
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) The Penny Pot Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride Just Enough Carrots