Start by marking “Building a Character” as Want to Read:
Building a Character

Building a Character (The Acting Books #2)

First Published in 1989. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published April 28th 1989 by Theatre Arts Books (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Building a Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building a Character

Chad Bearden
Apr 18, 2010 Chad Bearden rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater-studies
There comes a point about halfway through "Building a Character" when Stanislavski's earnest young protagonist, Kostya, complains to his mentor, Torstov, that this batch of lessons all seem rather technical and not nearly as much fun as all the creativity and inspiration that was the foundation of the last batch of lessons (found in Stanislavski's first volume, "An Actor Prepares"). As a reader, you're bound to feel the same way.

Torstov's response is to tell Kostya (and presumable you, the reade
Víctor Galán
"La construcción del personaje" fue la obra póstuma de su célebre autor. Considerada la segunda parte de "Un actor se prepara", en este libro se analizan las técnicas necesarias para construir un personaje de manera creíble, natural y expresivo como marca el "sistema Stanislavski". Se trata de un manual interesante pero cuyo campo de acción es limitado por el propio formato escrito y por estar orientado a los lectores rusos, esto provoca que se haga pesado de leer en ciertas partes y redundante ...more
AskHistorians
This and An Actor Prepares and Creating a Role are not academic books on theatre history. But they are far too important and influential to ignore. In the Actor Prepares Trilogy, Stanislavski defines acting as a very serious activity requiring immense discipline and integrity. He lays out a system for acting that demands a kind of psychological realism that was rarely seen in pre-19th Century acting styles. It is common for teachers of acting to regard the works of Stanislavski as the beginning ...more
Violeta
El libro es muy pesado y la verdad es que me da la sensación que en las cosas más "sencillas" se explaya en demasía y deja la vitales un poco a la pata coja. Lo mejor del libro son sin duda los últimos capítulos, los más interesantes y ricos. Creo que es una lectura obligada para todo aquel que quiera ser actor y la verdad es que me alegro de haber profundizado en una de las lecturas complementarias de una de las próximas asignaturas que cursaré en la Universidad.
¡Ya puedo decir que he leído (al
John
Jan 17, 2009 John rated it liked it
This isn't as interesting as An Actor Prepares, there's a lot weirder stuff here that's harder to relate to. Like rhythm work with a metronome, different beats and how every play has an underlying beat and other beats layered on top of it and you can screw it up by not being on the right beat with your fellow actors. I know this is kinda true, but it's hard to make it compelling to write about. It's kind of something that you just have to experience and play around with in rehearsal I think. All ...more
Sean
Mar 08, 2014 Sean rated it it was amazing
Every actor in the world should read this book. Truly amazing and insightful. Naturalistic approach, but there are lots of crossovers to other styles.
Angela
Nov 19, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: acting
I have to say that I really struggled with some parts of this book. Some chapters are really technical and very detailed and that is tiring after awhile. But you have to push through because it is totally worth it. The chapters in the end are very interesting and I couldn't put the book down! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in acting. It contains the basics of Stanislavski's method (along with "An actor prepares"). Some concepts of the method are really hard to ...more
Kujtim
Oct 15, 2014 Kujtim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-152
to read about mine of stanislavcki to building a character.
mahatma
salah satu buku penting dari 'bapak teater' dunia: 'building a character'. buku ini melengkapi buku dari pengarang yang sama, yang diterjemahkan oleh ws.rendra duluuu...
[saya gak tau pasti, apakah ini buku yang sama?]
buku ini baru saya beli kemaren, cukup tebal dengan kertas ringan sehingga enteng dibawa-bawa.
yang menjengkelkan dari buku ini adalah sampulnya kok bergambar butet, yang tidak ada kena-mengenanya dengan teater garasi yang kaya dengan aktor-aktor hebat.
he..he..
Lorenzo
Mar 27, 2012 Lorenzo rated it really liked it
Stanislavski may have written this for actors, but as a writer, i found it unique and very helpful in writing a screenplay. It was a whole new picture of purpose and method. It was given me by mentor and friend, John Brascia, a screenwriter, producer, who was also the primary dancer in "White Christmas." He said the book will add to your depth and push you to work harder as a writer to present a character as Stanislavski creates.
Alexandra
Jun 28, 2016 Alexandra rated it liked it
I know Stanislavski's approach to acting is highly revered, so I'm giving this three stars just because of that. But for me at least, this book was just confusing. I was expecting a how-to manual, but it was more of a collection of anecdotes that I had no idea how to apply to my own life. (Even the exercises are presented in a way that made them generally feel to me more like stories than instructions.)
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it really liked it
Volume 2 of THE classic actor's handbook, and though "Method Acting" is essentially out of style, you have to know where the art has been to understand where it is now. It's still a fascinating read, as it was written during the discovery of the technique itself.
Indah Threez Lestari
Aug 16, 2010 Indah Threez Lestari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: para aktor karbitan sinetron atau film tanpa kemampuan dasar akting
Membaca buku ini mengingatkanku pada latihan keras Maya Kitajima dalam serial Topeng Kaca untuk menjadi aktor yang mumpuni. Menjadi aktor memang bukan sekedar tampil di panggung atau depan kamera dengan hanya mengandalkan tampang keren atau nama beken.
Sherry
Nov 14, 2010 Sherry rated it it was amazing
In Building a Character, Stanislavski outlines the work an actor needs to do to develop himself to have a sharp vocal, physical, and emotionally expressive instrument. Again a brilliant book.
Austin
Oct 11, 2010 Austin rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
While it offers some interesting insights, on the whole, not as useful as I had recalled. There are some much better, more recent works in the American Method tradition(s) on technique.
علی
Aug 05, 2007 علی rated it it was ok
Shelves: theories
اگرچه در یک دوره ، شاید تا نیمه ی قرن بیستم، این کتاب راهنمایی برای بازیگران و کارگردانان تیاتر بود، گمان نکنم هنوز هم از "متد استانیسلاوسکی" استفاده می شود.
Luiz Filho
Nov 23, 2010 Luiz Filho rated it really liked it
Great!! The last chapters is just a must read to all actors.
Christina knox
May 12, 2009 Christina knox rated it it was amazing
this book is instrumental to my instrument.
LeeLee
Aug 22, 2007 LeeLee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vital
Color me pretentious!

HEY-YO!
E Taylor
Nov 13, 2011 E Taylor is currently reading it
more research for first novel
Will Craighead
May 27, 2012 Will Craighead rated it it was amazing
Great
Aleksandrs Baklanovs
Aleksandrs Baklanovs rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Allison Terriff
Allison Terriff rated it it was amazing
Kakie
Kakie marked it as to-read
Michael Flood
Michael Flood rated it liked it
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Duckiepie
Duckiepie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Aldo Arenas Maqueda
Aldo Arenas Maqueda marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
thejash
thejash marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Damla
Damla marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
  • Playing Shakespeare: An Actor's Guide
  • Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part
  • Acting: The First Six Lessons
  • Towards a Poor Theatre
  • The Stanislavski System: The Professional Training of an Actor (Penguin Handbooks)
  • Actions: The Actors' Thesaurus
  • Improvisation for the Theater
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • On Directing
  • The Way of Acting: The Theatre Writings of Tadashi Suzuki
Constantin Sergeyevich Stanislavski was a Russian actor and theatre director.

Stanislavski's innovative contribution to modern European and American realistic acting has remained at the core of mainstream western performance training for much of the last century. Building on the directorially-unified aesthetic and ensemble playing of the Meiningen company and the naturalistic staging of Antoine and
More about Konstantin Stanislavski...

The Acting Books (3 books)
  • An Actor Prepares
  • Creating a Role

“If you are looking for something, don't go sit on the seashore and expect it to come and find you; you must search, search, search with all the stubbornness in you!” 17 likes
“I was truly happy. But my state was not that of any ordinary satisfaction. It was a joy which stemmed directly from creative, artistic achievement.” 10 likes