Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble

Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble (Bad Kitty)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  58 reviews
In this seventh installment of the New York Times–bestselling series, Kitty encounters what may be her most formidable foe yet: her creator!Kitty soon learns that feline manipulation works both ways—especially when you're at the wrong end of your author's pencil. Along the way, Nick shows kids how a book is created, despite the frequent interruptions from you-know-who.

A Ne...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble

Laura the Highland Hussy
This was written by my 9 year old daughter and it's posted on her blog KK's Books and Reviews

Today is World Literacy Day and I bought this book at my school Book Fair.

It's really funny because Kitty is hilarious. This time the author was in it. Nick Bruel got scratched up by Kitty. On my favorite page he's like AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Nick Bruel made Kitty fat, and made her eat turnips, and he was like "You have to eat a better diet, Kitty."

Then he wrote 3 stories about her that were fake and they we...more
Romelle
A really fun way for children to learn how to write a book. Author Nick Bruel narrates the story as himself. Love the humorous interaction between Bad Kitty and Nick Bruel. A great example of breaking the 4th wall. The book is broken into 6 chapters: Meet the Author, Meet the Character, The Conflict, Meet the Antagonist, Plot Points, and The Most Important Rule About Writing Stories. A glossary of literary terms is also included. I recommend this for the aspiring young writer!
Cathy
3.75 stars. My kids LOVE Bad Kitty chapter books, and as a parent, I find these books fun to read with them. This Bad Kitty book was a departure from the rest. The author is the narrator, and he uses the book to explain the writing process and writing concepts - protagonist, plot, antagonist, and many more. It's a great book for introducing these concepts to kids, and he does it in a really fun way.

My kids had mixed reactions to the book, as did I. My middle grade son was disappointed that the b...more
Kaethe
Fans of Bad Kitty as well as those interested in writing, cartooning, and drawing, will enjoy learning how a best-selling author creates a book. Bruel keeps his lessons to the same light, humorous tone as the other books. I quite like that he includes even the colors he uses.

Library copy.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Bad Kitty is back! But, this time, she’s not alone! Her creator, Nick Bruel, is right in the plot! With the (unwilling) help of Kitty, Mr. Bruel tells us readers how to write a good story . The reader learns about protagonists, setting, plot, conflict, foreshadowing and much more in a fun-filled way. The is that Kitty needs to go on a diet of turnips, because she’s gained a LOT of weight recently (thanks to Mr. Bruel and his trusty paint brush). But, the thing is, Kitty doesn’t even LIKE turnips...more
Chelsea Hudson
The other day I was passing time at Booksamillion, and I picked this up. The writer is having a successfully hilarious conversation with you and the silent Bad Kitty about how to write. The way he talks to you and the cat are wonderful it doesn't feel at all like an educational book. He also shows you how to draw bad kitty, and encourages you to write/draw your own story in this style. I really do think all English teachers or even art teachers should have a copy of this book.
Shanna Hurd
Nick Bruel teaches kids how to write a story (with a little help from Kitty). As an adult who studied creative writing in college, the book didn't break new ground for me, but for a kid who is just learning about storytelling, this would be a great introduction. I would recommend it to Bad Kitty fans, kids that are interested in writing, and for kids that need to learn about writing, but don't like nonfiction.
Carla
Definitely more of a nonfiction "how to write a story" book than a story about Bad Kitty, but very entertaining nonetheless. Also, I really liked that Nick Bruel took some cues from "Duck Amuck" and "Gertie the Dinosaur" because it makes the book feel interactive. Highly recommend to anyone looking to teach kids how to write a story as well as any Bad Kitty fans!
Katie Lovett
Feb 02, 2014 Katie Lovett added it
Shelves: mg, writing
My daughter has been a fan of Bad Kitty for quite some time, and when I read this one, I was SUPER excited. In this latest Bad Kitty adventure, her story is also a teaching tool--it teaches kids how to write their own stories. I read it as I was in the planning stages of a creative writing class for kids ages 8-10, and now I'm planning to use the book to supplement my lessons. It was an incredible find, and Kitty is delightful as always.
The Styling Librarian
Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble by Nick Bruel - Early Chapter Book – Humor/fiction – 2nd grade and up – I just enjoyed reading through this fun packed, factual, helpful, insightful #10 book in the Bad Kitty series. I loved that Nick Bruel was right there, part of the story, his dialogue went right along with the story and was quite hilarious to follow. I especially enjoyed how Nick Bruel and Bad Kitty interacted with one another. It reminded me of my interactions with cats in the past… It was one of...more
Kaleena Melotti
Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble was such a cute book! It's a cute and unique take on introducing 7-9 year old children to writing and illustrating their own stories. From the get-go, this short book breaks down the fourth wall and talks directly to the reader. The entire first chapter is Nick Bruel introducing himself and Kitty, with a step-by-step guide on how to draw her.

The book continues on introducing the reader to character development, conflict, plot, and theme, showcasing these new words with...more
Mari Anne
(Reading/reviewing a bunch of books for the upcoming book fair). The best Bad Kitty book yet! Bruel breaks through the "fourth wall" to talk directly to the reader and his characters. This laugh out loud funny book, does a great job of teaching kids how to write a story. Bruel covers everything from theme and plot to protagonists, antagonists, setting and conflict. Wonderfully done and fabulously funny. For fans of Bad Kitty and those wanting to teach kids about story writing! Probably best for...more
Paula
In this installment of the “Bad Kitty” series, Kitty plays a secondary role to Nick Bruel, the author/illustrator of the series. He takes over and first shows young readers how he draws Kitty. He then weaves in the elements of story writing (plot, setting, protagonist, conflict, etc.) as he sets out to create a story about Kitty being too fat. He incorporates many of the familiar minor characters and adds some new offbeat ones as well. “Uncle Murray’s Fun Facts” pages add definitions and clarify...more
Dachokie
Cool Cat …

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

In the latest addition to the Bad Kitty, author/illustrator Nick Bruel turns the tables on the rambunctious feline and uses her as a means to educate readers on how to create/write stories.

Like the other Bad Kitty books, DRAWN TO TROUBLE offers a great storyline with thoroughly entertaining illustrations throughout. This volume actually explains story-writing by introducing component...more
Barbara
Bad Kitty wasn't born bad. She was drawn that way, imagined, created, and put onto the pages of many popular children's picture books by Nick Bruel. In this longer book, a primer on writing, Bruel explains how to write a book. While doing so, he introduces terms such as plot, protagonist, theme, and open and closed endings. All of these relate to Bad Kitty, and in his attempts to make the craft of writing easier to understand, he puts poor Kitty in all sorts of unpleasant situations. In fact, he...more
Carina Olsen
This is the first Bad Kitty book I have read. I requested this ARC via Macmillan, and was lucky to get it. <3 Finally decided to read it, and I did enjoy it. But I didn't love it. Which makes me a bit sad. It's a good story, and I do think the kitty looks adorable. Just, I think I would have enjoyed it more if the story had color, like the front page of the book has.

My review will not be that long, because this is a very short book. Just over one hundred pages. I wish I could say that I loved...more
Beth
If you're faced with a reluctant learner or multiple reluctant learners, Nick Bruel has disguised this ever subversive Bad Kitty installment as a learning event: talking about story elements. Heck, I even learned a new word in this book that I had never heard before: MacGuffin. That's a new literary term I had never heard before. Though, according to the glossary in the back, it's not a "literary" term per se, but a word that was coined to talk about film scripts.
E2south
Bad Kitty wasn't always bad. It's just that her author drew her that way. In this very funny book, Bad Kitty is humiliated and tortured by the author, who frequently comments on his good looks. In this book, he teaches kids the important parts of a story, and consequently humiliates poor Kitty. A very funny read, but I didn't really enjoy the Uncle Murray sections as much as in previous Bad Kitty books.
Amanda
Nick Bruel delivers to teachers a how-to-write-a-story tale as Kitty's 10th installment, chock full of Kitty's zaniness and irreverence. Kitty fans will love this direct encouragement from Bruel to try their hand at writing and illustrating their own Kitty stories. As a bonus feature, Strange Kitty treats us to a quick introduction to copyright considerations and his recipe for Awesome Roasted Turnips (which I will trying out on the turnips from our library garden). Bruel contines to deliver sma...more
Peggy Tibbetts
This tenth book in the Bad Kitty series is a departure from the usual Bad Kitty mayhem. “Drawn to Trouble” introduces fans to author Nick Bruel. With the help of Uncle Murray, Bruel shows his fans how to write and illustrate a graphic novel. As with all Bad Kitty books, high jinx and hilarity abound. Kitty tangles with a turnip and Strange Kitty appears in the nick of time to stir things up. In this instance it all serves a higher purpose. “Drawn to Trouble” is a – dare I say – novel approach to...more
Marlee
My children (9 and 6) found this book to be hilarious. I thought it was funny, too, though I didn't think it was as good as some of the other bad kitty books. My children did learn a bit about writing stories, which they are both interested it. I like that it came with Strange Kitty's recipe. Silly, funny, quick, and easy to read.
Becky
This is not your typical Bad Kitty chapter book. In this book the author/illustrator breaks the 4th wall and actively talks to the readers, explaining how to write a story. He (with the help of Uncle Murray) shows the reader what they will need to write a story of their own, including characters, setting, conflict, plot, theme, as well as terms like protagonist, antagonist, MacGuffin, plot point, foreshadowing, ending and epilogue. All of this teaching, though, is done with humor (zombies and gi...more
Carolanne
I loved the approach Nick Bruel uses to explain the elements of writing a story. I laughed out loud several times. I've had to wait to read it as it never makes it to the shelf! I would highly recommend it to teachers as a resource for writing lessons.
Victoria
Another choice by my granddaughter for me. I'm w-a-y too old for this. But I don't think I'd recommend it to any of the grandchildren. However, that is only based on this one book; I have not read any of the previous books in this series.
 B.E.Love
this is one of the best most funny kids series I have ever read. My son loves these books. It's so fun to read these with your child. And it's a good thing I feel this way because these are re-reads (all the time) in my house
Andrew DeMars
Awe$ome $auce

I just love your books and the recipes in this book are you still going to make more books and you make a lot of money and $$. who hates bad kitty?
I think your books are better than other books.
Bethe
Fans of Bad Kitty will like this book, reading teachers may also find the book useful to define various parts of story grammar (protagonist, plot, characters, etc.) Love the shout out to Babymouse, the epilogue was the best part for me.
Kate Hastings
Gr 2-5. I like what Bad Kitty was trying to do here-- show us the elements of a story. But I thought it was pretty dry and uninteresting. Better than a textbook, I guess.
Kathy Martin
From meeting Nick Bruel and learning to draw Bad Kitty all the way to a discussion of artistic inspiration, Nick Bruel and his able partner Bad Kitty show readers the elements of a story in an engagingly humorous manner. Elements like Characters, Setting, Plot, Protagonist and Antagonist are illustrated in a humorous way. Uncle Murray's Fun Facts add additional information. There is even a recipe for roasted turnips to round out the story (which actually makes sense if you read the book.)

I enjoy...more
April Bauer
Would get four stars, but this humorous story uses a plot line that involves a kitty going on a diet which I'm not entirely sure is appropriate for kids this age.
  • The Show Must Go On! (Three-Ring Rascals, #1)
  • The Gumazing Gum Girl! Book 1 Chews Your Destiny
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Clementine and the Spring Trip (Clementine, #6)
  • The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow
  • Little Red Writing
  • Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An Origami Yoda Book (Origami Yoda #5)
  • Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • 123 versus ABC
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Ten Things I Love About You
  • The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest--and Most Surprising--Animals on Earth
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad!
  • Spunky Tells All
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

h...more
More about Nick Bruel...
Bad Kitty Bad Kitty Gets a Bath Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty Bad Kitty vs Uncle Murray Bad Kitty for President