Start by marking “Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)

Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Death is in the air. Death is on the ground. Death is everywhere for the people of Galloway. As a catastrophic virus devastates the Scottish countryside, killing cattle and destroying lives, Detective Inspector Marjory Fleming finds herself at the stormy heart of a troubled, trapped community. Pyres are built, infected animals are burnt, and farmland is dug up as burial gr ...more
Published 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Cold in the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold in the Earth

LJ
COLD IN THE EARTH (Police Procedural-Scotland-Cont) – VG
Templeton, Aline – 1st in series
Hodder & Stoughton, 2005- Hardcover
Detective Inspector Marjory Fleming is also a mother and wife raising chickens and sheep in Scotland. When foot-and-mouth disease breaks out in their area, she and her neighbors are faced with losing all their livestock. Laura Harvey, living in New York, is at loose ends with her life after her mother dies. In search of her sister, missing 15 years, her journey takes her
Barbara Mitchell
This is the first of six DI Fleming thrillers to be issued as e-books by Witness/Impulse Imprint of HarperCollins.

In the prologue we read about a woman awakening because she's cold. She realizes her pajamas are torn and she is bloody. Not only that, she's outside in a maze. She has been sleepwalking. Then she sees a figure running toward her. It looks like a man with horns, one of which stabs her in the heart.

The story is set in Scotland during an epidemic of foot and mouth disease among animals
Ali
I found this an enjoyable and diverting novel, and just the antidote I needed this weekend to the utter exhaustion of this last week. I don't read many modern detective novels, because some of them are too grizzly and unpleasent. Luckily this isn't. The back drop to the novel, the 2001 foot and mouth crisis is fascinating. I remember being driven somewhere at the time, where we had to venture out into the countryside, and seeing, as we drove, empty fields and plumes of ominious black smoke. Othe ...more
Jan C
May 17, 2011 Jan C rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan C by: Louise Penny (in her blog)
Shelves: mystery, scotland, 2011
Very enjoyable. I look forward to picking up her other Margery Fleming stories.

"Let's cut the cackle." I did get slowed down a.bit by all the Scottish slang, but usually I could get the gist of it.

There are two cousins who squabble like 10-year-olds. They are adults. There is a psychologist who wants to find out what happened to her sister. And then there is Detective Inspector Margery Fleming. There is also a woman in a dress shop in London.

You know that all these story lines are going to come
Kirsti
Very entertaining mystery with appealing characters and clever dialogue. I liked how the author wove in recent events.

I understood most of the Scottish slang, but I had to look up "I was in a dwam." A dwam or dwaum is a stuporous sort of daydream--you're conscious but not paying attention and not really thinking of anything in particular.

I had no idea Robert Burns was such a scunner. Apparently his own mother despaired of him.
Carol Jean
Complex and yet completely engaging plot with many likeable characters. The relationships among the police officers are complicated and ring true, and their humor is delightful.

The story is very dark, dealing to a great extent with the devastation wreaked upon farmers and their community during an out break of foot and mouth disease. This sounds as if it might be dull or off-puttingly technical, but it is very human and heartbreaking.

The murder mystery is never quite at the center of the story,
Kathleen Kelly
This story takes place in a small town in Scotland. One of six books in the series of Detective Inspector Marjory Fleming. Along with being an Inspector, Marjory and her husband live and work a farm are among the farmers involved in the foot and mouth disease that is going around all the farms. This puts DI Fleming in a precarious position as she knows that if the animals have to be put down, it will devastate her husband.
In a different but equally important story is one of a woman, Laura, who d
Gary Van Cott
This book seems to be part of what has become a common genre, police procedurals set in the rural parts of the UK. My problem with this book was that I didn't find the main character DI Marjory Fleming very engaging. I thought the other main character, psychotherapist Laura, who was looking for her missing older half sister was much more interesting. This book takes place during an epidemic of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease in the US although that name ...more
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought.

Shellie’s quick take: The first in a contemporary murder mystery series set in the Scottish countryside. It’s a dark atmospheric thriller that has a family-oriented and strong female lead, a psychopath, and a psychologist as the main characters.

Shellie’s description: Detective Marjory Fleming lives with her husband and two children on a farm in the Scottish countryside - where the green hills are dotted with sheep, the weather is harsh, everyone knows
Sharonm
I'm so glad to have found this new (to me) series. DI Marjorie Fleming in Scotland lives on a farm (we'd call it a ranch here) where her husband raises sheep. The book takes place during an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease, as all the livestock in this remote part of Scotland are being destroyed. The first third of the book is a dark treatise on the psychology of the farmers who have to deal with loss of their herds: their livelihood, their companions, their work. And of the policemen and wom ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
About a year ago, I was looking for recommendations for a new series/author and someone on Goodreads recommended Aline Templeton. It has taken me this long to track down her first book in the Marjory Fleming series, so I was looking forward to seeing if it lived up to my expectations. In a word, yes, it was one of those books that comes along now and then that just captivates me and I just don't want to put it down. I have given it 5 stars because I enjoyed it so much, not because it was an incr ...more
Afsana
I had read all of aluine templeton's earlier books few yrs back and then nothing new seemed to come out. I then forgot about her till I saw this book at watertones and bought it and her latest few

I enjoyed the book which is about a body found buried on a farm during the foot and mouth disease. It goes into the hardship the farmers felt and the difficulty the police had to deal with. But not extensively but enought to give the reader an idea of what it may have been like. This is not a negative a
Mj
This is the first book by UK author Aline Templeton that I have read and the first in the series of DI (Detective Inspector) Marjory Fleming. It won’t be my last.

I learned about Aline Templeton from a mystery review blog I happened upon called “AuntieMwrites.” I have never met the blogger and we have no personal ties. To quote her recommendation “Author Louise Penny, she of the multi-award winning Three Pines series and the creator of Inspector Gamache, first recommended UK author Aline Templeto
Richard Thompson
The first of Aline Templeton's DI Marjory Fleming novels.

Our introduction to the series was the fifth, DEAD IN THE WATER, and I did wonder if the first one would be a bit of a "trainer" book... but, no, even with the first book, Templeton got it all right — the characters, the locale, the plot...

This is the one where we meet Laura Harvey. The mystery revolves around Laura's missing older sister, and features the superbly weird Mason family.

I didn't read this one aloud to Maggee because she was a
Colleen
I'm so glad I decided to give COLD IN THE EARTH & DI Marjory Fleming a read!

If you are a fan of Deborah Crombie and Louise Penny - you'll be glad you added Aline Templeton to your list of great mystery/thriller writers!

What a wonderful mystery. The characters are fully realized and quite down to earth - while the mystery itself is taut, compelling and strangely interesting, bulls and all! The Scottish countryside, locals, and Scotts jargon pull you into the story and lend a wonderful note of
Anie
This book was sufficiently interesting that I'll try another one in the series. The characters, and the murder, were believable. It's always entertaining to read a murder mystery where the author doesn't indulge in excessive blood and gore, and the murderer is not yet another serial killer who doesn't even know their victim. Those are just too easy to write. Sensible murder mysteries, on the other hand, take some imagination. I didn't give it a 4 simply because it took a bit to get into it.
Susan Queen
Enjoyed the main character, who is a strong intelligent woman working in a mostly male environment. She struggles with the same issues as any woman with a family who also loves her career. Satisfaction vs guilt is so hard to deal with.
Deena Brown
listened to the book which caused it to be a bit confusing at first due to the quick, unindicated switches between character story lines. but as the character story lines converged into one, the book became easy to follow and quite enjoyable.
Kirsten
It gets off to a bit of a slow start, but that time was ultimately (mostly) well spent on character development and scene-setting. If you like the series Happy Valley, you'll enjoy this.
Martha
Mar 06, 2014 Martha added it
Very enjoyable. I especially liked the conflicts DI Fleming has between her family life and the demands of her job. Well-drawn, interesting characters too.
Rhonda
Set in Scotland - nuff said :)
Thasc
I wasn't expecting such a twist to the plot towards the end of the book. We were all led to believe it was one member of the Mason family who was the killer when really it was the other.

The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that the Scottish slang words were difficult to grasp at times

Elizabeth
A satisfying read. I enjoy mysteries esp when they take place in Scotland. This book is the Berries with all the slang.

It begins with a maze and through out the book you will also wander through the many mazes of human relationships and emotions along with the twist and turns of the mystery.
Gayle
recommended by one of my favorite writers, Louise Penney of Canada. I really like reading the Margery Fleming novels ...lots of atmosphere of modern Scotland. these books are hard to find here in the States, so I had to purchase the 3 I could find.
Judith
I had a hard time reading and getting into this story. It took forever to read. The Scottish words, hard to get into plot and characters that just didn't pop were part of the problem. I will give this author one more try.
Lila
I had high hopes for this author/series because Louise Penny recommended the books. I liked the characters and the setting a lot but found the mystery somewhat disappointing.
Joyce
Oct 21, 2014 Joyce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Branich
Shelves: a05-2016
Very good book. This is the first book in a new series by Aline Templeton. The story is set in Scotland. It was a fast and easy read. Hope to read more books by this author.
Kate
These are quite good. A new to me Scottish police procedural that deserves to be more widely known in the U.S.
Christa
Not a horrible book but it was predictable.
Jane
Good first story.
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #1)
  • Blood in the Water
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • A Small Weeping
  • Three's a Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery, #1)
  • Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3)
  • The Disappeared (Jenny Cooper, #2)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • Scavengers (Posadas County Mystery, #1)
Aline Templeton grew up in the East Neuk of Fife and was educated at St Leonards School, St Andrews and Cambridge University. She has worked in education and broadcasting and has written numerous stories and articles for national newspapers and magazines. Templeton was a bench Justice of the Peace for ten years and is a former Chair of the Society of Authors in Scotland, now living in Edinburgh. S ...more
More about Aline Templeton...
The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2) Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3) Lamb To The Slaughter (DI Marjory Fleming #4) Dead In The Water (DI Marjory Fleming #5) Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)

“With her mother's remarks about his uncle in mind she looked at him with fresh interest and was forced to acknowledge that he too was actually a bit of a hunk. His hair was short, very dark and curly, and he had the sort of craggy face which might no longer be fashionable in the age of the New Man and the sarong but which would certainly appeal to any woman whose favourite fantasy involved caves and clubs and a bit of chest-pounding.” 1 likes