Start by marking “Digger Man” as Want to Read:
Digger Man

Digger Man (Andrea & David's "Man" Books)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A picture book for the very young that celebrates a child's excitement for construction vehicles

"Honk the horn!
Flash the lights!
Scoop the rocks!
Push the mud!"

A little boy imagines driving a great big digger-scooping and pushing mud to make a playground for his baby brother.

Children are fascinated with bulldozers, backhoes, payloaders-diggers of all shapes and sizes. In th
Published April 17th 2007 by Square Fish (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Digger Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger Man

Kate
Jul 20, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
I'm not a huge fan of this book but my son loves it. We usually have to read it at least three times in a row and he'll dig through a pile of books just to find it!
Missy
Nov 22, 2008 Missy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little boys age 1-5
Shelves: little-guy-books
On the surface, this doesn't look amazing. But the author must know little boys. She is so into the brain of my preschooler. Reading the text is like reading his mind. I paraphrase: "My brother is too little, so he doesn't know...but soon I'm going to buy a huge digger...I will have a lot of work to do with my digger...Sometimes my mom and dad can bring my brother to watch me work...." My toddler adores the book as well because of the pictures.
Barbara
Ideal for very young readers, this board book follows a young boy as he imagines what things will be like when he's older and can operate a huge digging truck. Sweetly, he dreams of one day creating a playground where he and his little brother can play. As the two play with trucks in their house and read a book about big trucks, he anticipates teaching his sibling everything that he knows about them. This is a good depiction of a healthy family relationship built around common interests. The ill ...more
Rochelle
Jul 20, 2016 Rochelle rated it really liked it
The title makes me smile! A little boy sees himself as a DIGGER MAN! in this board book about hopes and dreams for a little boy and his love for digger machines and his brother. The boy takes us through the impressive work he will do with his digger which includes clearing debris, creating a pond, and even a park where he and his brother will play. Young readers will understand the possibilities this big yellow machine has and conversations about what they would like to do with their favorite ob ...more
Jane
Oct 13, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing
Using a child's imagination Digger Man shows children how to use toys in pretend play situations. A big brothers describes all the things he want to use what is really a front-loader to dig and make places for him and his little brother to play. This is a great book to introduce children to sharing and playing together on a common project in a sandbox when working with a group of preschool children. The illustrations are bright, clear and appealing to young children.
Alicia
Sep 10, 2008 Alicia rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
I know this is pretty picky of me to give this book such a low rating. This book has nice looking illustrations and a good story line that my daughter loves, but there were three pages in this book where a baby is pictured holding a bottle. It just doesn't have any relevance in a book about diggers that the baby should have a bottle so many times in the book. It is just another way that the formula companies hook young children into thinking that bottle feeding is normal. Formula is so commercia ...more
Doria
Jan 20, 2016 Doria rated it liked it
This is a very nice board book, clearly designed to be read to boys. However, the content and general narrative are perfectly acceptable and appealing to girls as well, with the exception of the language, which is pointedly Male Only. For reading aloud to a pre-literate audience, I chose to substitute gender-neutral language, so as to make it more broadly inviting and less exclusionary. Diggers can be fun for everybody!
Ann Cox
In Digger Man, a little boy imagines what it would be like to own his own digger truck. The cheerful illustrations and the boy's imaginative vision of his future as a digger man made this picture book a joy to read. I think toddlers and preschoolers (especially those inclined to love planes, trains, and automobiles) will enjoy this story as it introduces them to what diggers actually do as well as to the concept of imagination.
Anita
My son liked the bright illustrations. The text of the story is pretty straight forward, and very similar to "Train Man" which we had also checked-out from the library. So I was a little less enthused than he was :-).
Anastasia Tuckness
This board book is an adaptation of the picture book of the same name, so it has a real storyline and would be enjoyed by 1-2 year olds who like an actual story.

The boy talks a lot about his younger brother and what he can and can't do, so it would be a good read for young children with even younger siblings.
Danielle Mootz
Apr 14, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
If you are a 3 year old boy it doesn't get much better than this. I need not bother weigh in. Jett emphatically gives it 5 stars.
Emily
Apr 05, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
More like an easy reader than a picture book, but Catherine still enjoys all the construction equipment.
Knitcookwrite
Jan 06, 2016 Knitcookwrite rated it liked it
Cute story, especially for a big brother.
Kate
Dec 06, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I think the best thing about this book are the crisp, clear illustrations. My son loved pointing out all the different trucks, which are colorful and well-defined. It is also a good book to talk about all the different things a bulldozer can do. Its short sentences make it easy for a new reader to read, and it is a sweet depiction of brotherly love.
Dawn
Nov 17, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text was brief and the pictures were okay, but the kids at the daycare loved this anyway. There wasn't much opportunity to engage them about what was going on in the book. It would have been nice if the end pages had the names of the various types of vehicles pictured in the book for older kids.
Dana
Sep 28, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with boys who love construction
Recommended to Dana by: Jodi
Shelves: children-s-books
My son loves this story. He has me read it over and over and over (he's 2). I only rated it a 4 b/c it's a WHEEL LOADER. Authors need to stop calling every piece of heavy equipment diggers. So, I change the words when I read it to my son. We call the book Loader Man.
Angela
May 16, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
Read to another one of preschooler's today. Very fitting since his school is being remodeled and there were 2 "diggers" outside the classroom windows. I got to hear all about his "diggers" at home.
Emerson and Theodore
May 07, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Cute story about an older brother and younger brother. The older brother fantasizes about being the driver of the digger and how he will show the little brother how to do it. Good pictures.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 13, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
A young boy loves machines that dig. He expounds on what he would do if he had one. The you boy that I read this to throughly enjoyed as he read along with me.
Ingrid
I LOVE this book. It would be great for Lapsit and possibly Preschool Storytime. See my reviews for Train Man and Fire Engine Man by the same author.
Colin E.c.
um I love that he's going to buy a digger and love that he's doing something very special with his digger like making a digger park.
Tania
Jan 15, 2012 Tania rated it really liked it
All of my boys have had this as a favorite book for several months as a toddler/preschooler. Our entire family has it memorized.
Janet
Apr 10, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
A great boys' picture book. The preschooler day dreams that he has a front end loader and he digs and builds. Great illustrations.
Kathleen
Nice pictures. Story is boring and the same as the others. Just exchange the words "Digger Man" for "Train Man."
Jennifer Hess
Jan 30, 2011 Jennifer Hess rated it liked it
Gavin loves this book. Possibly because it has a big brother, little brother. It is a simple, cute book.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
A book about a boy who wants to use a digger and show his brother how to use one when he gets old enough.
Kendra
Jul 05, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
Super cute books, simple enough to share with toddlers, but a dream preschoolers will certainly understand!
HD
Oct 19, 2009 HD rated it liked it
Shelves: lucas-lit
Perfect for the little boy (or girl) whose every other waking thought is occupied with diggers.
Jane
Aug 30, 2008 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James loves this!! I think we'll be reading it every night until it goes back to the library.
Cindi
Dec 14, 2008 Cindi rated it liked it
About a little boy and what he will do when he becomes a digger man.
  • Machines at Work
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • Buster
  • The Monster Returns
Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha are married and have created several children’s books together, including Digger Man, Fire Engine Man and Trashy Town, an ALA Notable Book. Zimmerman was born in Ohio and grew up in New York, Utah and California. When she was young, she loved exploring nature, reading comic books, and riding her horse. She studied fine arts for children in college, then later we ...more
More about Andrea Zimmerman...

Andrea & David's "Man" Books (3 books)
  • Train Man