Start by marking “Snowballs” as Want to Read:
Snowballs

Snowballs

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  970 ratings  ·  77 reviews
When it’s snowing, there’s only one thing to do: Pull on some mittens and head outside. Lois Ehlert’s seasonal classic--available for the first time as a board book--will inspire even the youngest snowman-builders. And it’s just in time for winter!
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Snowballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowballs

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
257th out of 1,299 books — 958 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsMr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert E. BarryKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
Winter Children's Books
115th out of 159 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
I'm afraid Ehlert's books just never really wow me. I love the cover on this and really appreciate her creativity in building the snowpeople/animals in this book, but there really isn't much of a story going and it just feels a little bland and disjointed at times. There is some factual information about snow, but if you are interested in that sort of thing I would highly recommend is The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder.
Tiffany
I admit there is no real plot to grasp the children's attention and simply reading it straight through would have probably bored them to death, but I don't believe that was the purpose of the book or how it was meant to be read.

I read this twice this week to a mixed group of kids (ages ranging from infants to about 9 or 10 years old) along with Frosty the Snowman. Each time they appeared to really enjoy the book. We took the time to look at the details of each snow-creature, naming the objects t
Stephen
Includes scientific information about snow and a recipe for popcorn balls, as well as creative ideas for feeding birds.
Michelle
Snowballs is a veritable celebration of winter in Ehlert’s signature mixed media style. Infused with a sense of whimsy and fun, this book invites readers to participate in the creation of a unique “snow family” using all the “best stuff” for making snowmen. In anticipation of the perfect snowball day, the author has saved up sunflower seeds, popcorn, bits of wool, corn kernels, various nuts and seeds, birdseed and scarves, braided yarn, hats and other interesting things like shoestrings, seashel ...more
Karen
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert, is a whimsical story that takes the reader through making a “snow family”. It starts with a question, “Do you think birds know when it is going to snow?” Ehlert uses collage as an illustration technique. In Snowballs, Ehlert uses a wide variety of objects to create her collage snow family. Real hats, mittens, and scarves; neckties, buttons and bows; sticks, leaves, popcorn, and much, much more, adorn the pages of the book. Even with all of the materials the auhor/illust ...more
Dominique St-pierre
This is a fun book to read, and my students liked it, but I wasn't wild about it. The kids did love the images and talking about what might happen when the snow melted. What was pretty cool is that after reading it, we (Kindergarten) all created our own collages and made up our own stories.
Hope L. Justice
I think this one gets a lot of good coattail reviews, because it is an Ehlert book. She does amazing folk imagery, but sometimes, her story lines and poeticism simply fall flat.
Kelli
Fun to look at. There was a little bit of an I Spy vibe with this book. Visually appealing.
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, christmas, pets
Gorgeous mixed-media illustrations highlight this story about snowmen (women, children, pets too) The narrative is short and simple and the illustrations are colorful and huge (you need to turn the book on its side to see the images.) The layout of the book might make this a bit awkward to read aloud to a group, but it's really fun to look at it with just a few children so they can have fun pointing out all of the objects used to make the snowball creatures. We enjoyed reading this book together ...more
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
Great winter season book to talk about all the things to do in the snow!
Molly
A very visually pleasing book about making snowmen.
Josie B.
Good for 2 years- kindergarten. The simple, almost non-existent plot takes back seat to the pictures. This is the perfect book for modeling dialogic reading. I usually state by taking about the cover and asking what do the children see. On each page, i ask what the eye, ears, mouth, etc. are made from; with older children I ask how can you tell the snowman is______? (Whatever Ehlert had labeled it). I pair this with All You Need For A Snowman by Alice Scherltle and for an older audience, Sneezy ...more
Cheryl
I love to show this book to the kindergartners. Not because of the story, which should be more about collage snowmen than birds or snowballs, but because the kids love how she so creatively made the snowmen. The kids love to name the items in the pictures and then predict what type of snowman might come next. (they think the goldfish eyebrows on the cat are hilarious). You feel like you want to gather up some materials and make your own snowman when you finish reading this book.
Claire
Once again Ehlert did a fabulous job. Like I have mentioned before the art work in Ehlert's books is strange and a wonder to look at. My kids just love it. They just stare at the pictures.
In this book snow-family is created. A dad, mom, boy, girl, baby, cat, and dog.
In the back of the book there are a few pages of the items that were used to decorate the snow-family. Once again, a good way to teach children.
Visually fabulous. I can think of so many ways that this book would be fun for very young children, such as pointing out all of the different objects used to make the snow-people, for example, crafts you could make with white circles and adding your own objects to make the different parts. I love the large pictures, large text, and the information at the end. I will have to use this for a PreK storytime.
The collage-art snowmen of Snowballs will inspire children to create their own snowmen. Lois Ehlert books are always jam-packed with extra information-- the back of the book includes a two-page spread of the "good stuff" she used to make the snowmen, information about snow, handwarmers, photos of real snowmen, and a recipe for popcorn balls. Use this book as a lead in to a winter-themed craft activity.
Andrea
I love the way the book is held, lengthwise, in order to get the full impact of the snowmen. This book can be compared to "The Snowy Day," in its use of collage. This book can lead to a great variety of art projects for young children. It can also be used for science. At the end of the book is information about what snow is. There are also a variety of photographs of real snowmen.
Jen
Perfect book to read to the lower elementary students when the first snowfall of the year happens. I read it to my 4K and K classes today and they liked picking out all the common things used in the illustrations to make the faces on the snowmen in the book. I would like to do an activity like that with them if I were to read the book again and see how they would have created their own snowmen.
Heidi
May 18, 2009 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 2-5
This is a simple book that shows the reader how to create snow people (even pets) with snow balls. Each snow character has various different items to resemble their unique personalities. In the very back, the author provides photos of the items with their names of what was used to give the snow people their appearances. A fun one to read and to create afterwards.
Bethann
I enjoyed this book mainly because of the pictures. I liked how the pictures used real life items in the pictures and at the end of the book, it showed the items individually. It was interesting to see all the things they used to make the snowmen! This would be a good book to use with a young age to talk about things you can do when it snows outside!
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary, & narrative skills. Creative use of textiles in illustrations, simple rhyming words, more in-depth scientific information after the main story in the back of the book along with an object identifier on a centerfold layout.
Samantha
Readers meet a snow family made out of objects they'll have fun exploring, some familiar, some totally new. Great read aloud for winter. PreK-2.
Katie Tyring
Another great Lois Ehlert book. Her illustrations are very inventive - I love how she used a wide range of different objects (popcorn, fabric, yarn, etc.) in this book! I didn't, however, like the story as much as some of her other works. Nonetheless, still a great book for younger children.
Polly
I seem to have a mental block about Lois Ehlert's books. I see that they're cool, but I just somehow don't quite 'get' them. I like a book to have some kind of point, and a lot of hers just seem to be an excuse for some neat pictures. Maybe do wordless, if that's your shtick?
June
Jan 24, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Snowmen and winter requests
I am an Ehlert fan. I enjoy the art and I think it encourages children's creativity. Both my story time and outreach enjoyed this book. I asked them if the snow people/animals looked like their family or animals. It also worked well after my 5 little snowmen flannel board.
Emily
For me the best part of this book is the pictures! I love the way Ehlert is creative with her snowman's facial features and limbs instead of using the usual coal, buttons and carrot nose. This book is repetitive so young children are able to catch on fairly quickly.
Theresa
A family puts together a group of snow people and snow pets. Children will enjoy looking for all the items used to make the snow family. Lois Ehlert's use of different media to create the illustrations is one of the reasons I enjoy her books so much!
Dorian
I loved this book when I was younger. It's a good winter book that gives ways to ideas about activities children can do in the snow. I would love to use this in a future classroom on the first day of snow. It could certainly be used at a very early age.
Dani
Love the textured illustrations. Vibrant colors, funky snowpeople made out of found objects, and a recipe for popcorn balls on the dustjacket makes this book awesome. When I read it to some of my favorite kids, they went crazy over the pictures.
Debra
I love this book Every time winter comes round I use it in so many different ways. It's and easy read. It lends itself to seasonal instructive lessons, and the art which can be created is fairly unlimited.
  • Snow