Start by marking “Snowballs” as Want to Read:
Snowballs

Snowballs

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,646 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
When it’s snowing, there’s only one thing to do: Pull on some mittens and head outside. Lois Ehlert’s seasonal classic will inspire even the youngest snowman-builders.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Snowballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowballs

Kathryn
Jan 11, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
I'm afraid Ehlert's books just never really wow me. I love the cover on this and really appreciate her creativity in building the snowpeople/animals in this book, but there really isn't much of a story going and it just feels a little bland and disjointed at times. There is some factual information about snow, but if you are interested in that sort of thing I would highly recommend is The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder.
Alex Baugh
Feb 06, 2017 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
A family has been waiting for snow for a while now, collecting all kinds of odds and ends for when the big snowfall arrives. And finally - snow, enough snow for all kinds of snowballs. First up is a snow dad, then a snow mom, a cool snow boy, a snow girl, a round snow baby, and finally, a snow cat and a spotted snow dog. But these are ordinary snow people and pets - they are decorated with all those colorful, carefully collected odds and ends. Dad wears a Bolivian hat, mom sports a Guatemalan pu ...more
Vivian
Jan 08, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We finished up our "OLAF GROWS" -- SNOWMAN story time with this book and I think it might have been the kids' favorite.

A family collects stuff to decorate a snow family -- Dad, Mom, Brother, Sister, Baby, Cat, and Dog -- and waits for a big snow storm. The birds and squirrels are waiting too, because the family puts plenty of edibles on their snow creations.

The kids enjoyed identifying the decorations. I would ask, "What is the nose made from?" I would also ask, "Can the birds or squirrels eat t
Tiffany
I admit there is no real plot to grasp the children's attention and simply reading it straight through would have probably bored them to death, but I don't believe that was the purpose of the book or how it was meant to be read.

I read this twice this week to a mixed group of kids (ages ranging from infants to about 9 or 10 years old) along with Frosty the Snowman. Each time they appeared to really enjoy the book. We took the time to look at the details of each snow-creature, naming the objects t
Stephen
Feb 04, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Includes scientific information about snow and a recipe for popcorn balls, as well as creative ideas for feeding birds.
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok
Atlantis
May 09, 2017 Atlantis rated it it was ok
A first reader for kindergarteners all about snow, snowballs, snowmen and things that go with snow.
ZD
I think this would only work for storytimes with an accompanying craft, because there's not much else going on otherwise.
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Snowballs is a veritable celebration of winter in Ehlert’s signature mixed media style. Infused with a sense of whimsy and fun, this book invites readers to participate in the creation of a unique “snow family” using all the “best stuff” for making snowmen. In anticipation of the perfect snowball day, the author has saved up sunflower seeds, popcorn, bits of wool, corn kernels, various nuts and seeds, birdseed and scarves, braided yarn, hats and other interesting things like shoestrings, seashel ...more
Angie
Nov 18, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Pull on your mittens and head outside for a snowball day. Grab some snow and start rolling. With a few found objects--like buttons and fabric and seeds--and a little imagination, you can create a whole family out of snow. Children will love poring over Lois Ehlert’s bold, funny illustrations and identifying the common (and not so common) objects she uses to decorate her snowy family."

My Review: I guess I was expecting this book to be about snowballs and not snowmen, while that caught
Karen
Sep 28, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert, is a whimsical story that takes the reader through making a “snow family”. It starts with a question, “Do you think birds know when it is going to snow?” Ehlert uses collage as an illustration technique. In Snowballs, Ehlert uses a wide variety of objects to create her collage snow family. Real hats, mittens, and scarves; neckties, buttons and bows; sticks, leaves, popcorn, and much, much more, adorn the pages of the book. Even with all of the materials the auhor/illust ...more
A
This is a really sweet book about snow. The narrator and his/her family build a family of snow people all dressed from head to toe with lots of fun everyday items like bottle caps, crayons, forks, pencils, twigs, hats and socks, etc. When the sun comes out the snowmen melt and become smaller mounds of snow or puddles. Students will learn this property of water to become snow and then melting into liquid water again as a puddle. The last pages contain a layout of all the items used to make the sn ...more
Alexandria Hiam
Jaimee Huskins
Dec 04, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it really liked it
This is a fun and cute book that is just perfect for winter. In this story it goes on and tells a story of making a snowman family. The pages in this book start out horizontal but as the snowman is being built the book turns to vertical. The pictures are very cool she doesn't only use the scraps of paper but other simple items. Very cool! At the end of the book she talks about what snow actually is. She also has all the items that she used to creates the snowman and encourages young children to ...more
Dolly
Dec 04, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: christmas, pets, 2012
Gorgeous mixed-media illustrations highlight this story about snowmen (women, children, pets too) The narrative is short and simple and the illustrations are colorful and huge (you need to turn the book on its side to see the images.) The layout of the book might make this a bit awkward to read aloud to a group, but it's really fun to look at it with just a few children so they can have fun pointing out all of the objects used to make the snowball creatures. We enjoyed reading this book together ...more
Josie B.
Jun 19, 2013 Josie B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime, one-on-one, 3s, 4s-5s, 2s
Good for 2 years- kindergarten. The simple, almost non-existent plot takes back seat to the pictures. This is the perfect book for modeling dialogic reading. I usually state by taking about the cover and asking what do the children see. On each page, i ask what the eye, ears, mouth, etc. are made from; with older children I ask how can you tell the snowman is______? (Whatever Ehlert had labeled it). I pair this with All You Need For A Snowman by Alice Scherltle and for an older audience, Sneezy ...more
Bmack
Love this book for winter storytimes. We don't know who is talking in the story but they have saved lots of items in a paper sack for when it snows and they can make snow people. Each page is opened and turned on it side so you see a large snow person on each page from snow mom to snow dog. It is very creative and will help children get excited about how they might make their own snow person. You could easily do a craft with this providing circles and a variety of materials and let them create!
Alex Wulfekuhle
Mar 28, 2016 Alex Wulfekuhle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so much fun and easy! Do birds know when its going to snow? It talks about how they know when its going to know, because they move their seeds and fly south! Also it shows how to make snowmen! One made a snowdad, one made a snow mom... ETC! Once they made their snowmen they talked about how its melting and melting from the sun! What is snow? What makes it snow? This is a great weather lesson for students!
Jul 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The collage-art snowmen of Snowballs will inspire children to create their own snowmen. Lois Ehlert books are always jam-packed with extra information-- the back of the book includes a two-page spread of the "good stuff" she used to make the snowmen, information about snow, handwarmers, photos of real snowmen, and a recipe for popcorn balls. Use this book as a lead in to a winter-themed craft activity.
Jan 24, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Visually fabulous. I can think of so many ways that this book would be fun for very young children, such as pointing out all of the different objects used to make the snow-people, for example, crafts you could make with white circles and adding your own objects to make the different parts. I love the large pictures, large text, and the information at the end. I will have to use this for a PreK storytime.
Tammy Knowles
Dec 01, 2016 Tammy Knowles rated it it was amazing
The book Snowballs, by Lois Ehlert is a book about snow. It tells about a family of snow people all dressed from head to toe with lots of fun everyday items like bottle caps, crayons, forks, pencils, twigs, hats and socks. When the sun comes out the snowmen melt and become smaller mounds of snow or puddles. Students can learn about how property of water becomes snow and then melting into liquid water again as a puddle.
 Mummy Cat Claire
Oct 27, 2010 Mummy Cat Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Once again Ehlert did a fabulous job. Like I have mentioned before the art work in Ehlert's books is strange and a wonder to look at. My kids just love it. They just stare at the pictures.
In this book snow-family is created. A dad, mom, boy, girl, baby, cat, and dog.
In the back of the book there are a few pages of the items that were used to decorate the snow-family. Once again, a good way to teach children.
Cheryl M.
I love to show this book to the kindergartners. Not because of the story, which should be more about collage snowmen than birds or snowballs, but because the kids love how she so creatively made the snowmen. The kids love to name the items in the pictures and then predict what type of snowman might come next. (they think the goldfish eyebrows on the cat are hilarious). You feel like you want to gather up some materials and make your own snowman when you finish reading this book.
Heidi
May 18, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 2-5
This is a simple book that shows the reader how to create snow people (even pets) with snow balls. Each snow character has various different items to resemble their unique personalities. In the very back, the author provides photos of the items with their names of what was used to give the snow people their appearances. A fun one to read and to create afterwards.
Michelle Brandstetter
Jan 26, 2013 Michelle Brandstetter rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
EL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary, & narrative skills. Creative use of textiles in illustrations, simple rhyming words, more in-depth scientific information after the main story in the back of the book along with an object identifier on a centerfold layout.
Kristy
Dec 10, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Snowballs is a story about building snowmen with unusual items. Per her usual style, Ehlert uses a collage of different materials for her artwork, ranging from paper and cloth to strawberries and dried corn. Visually, this book is really neat. The words could have been more interesting though.

Okay for preschool storytime.
Annie Payne
Jan 26, 2016 Annie Payne rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Fun for wee littles and on up! Wee ones enjoy seeing the different snow people, but preschoolers can identify the fun objects used to create those snow people. A fun project for a family could be to gather and save similar random objects and then create your own snow people and pets with them--and of course, read this book when you're doing it!
Jen
Jan 16, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Perfect book to read to the lower elementary students when the first snowfall of the year happens. I read it to my 4K and K classes today and they liked picking out all the common things used in the illustrations to make the faces on the snowmen in the book. I would like to do an activity like that with them if I were to read the book again and see how they would have created their own snowmen.
Kristen
Feb 10, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book - used this for a Kindergarten Book Club and had every student in my building read this. We used it for a few lessons on sentences, punctuation, media literacy, technology, and then had a culminating party! If you want to have your own book club regarding this book, check out ideas here:

Bethann
I enjoyed this book mainly because of the pictures. I liked how the pictures used real life items in the pictures and at the end of the book, it showed the items individually. It was interesting to see all the things they used to make the snowmen! This would be a good book to use with a young age to talk about things you can do when it snows outside!
  • All You Need for a Snowman