Start by marking “Past Lives” as Want to Read:
Past Lives

Past Lives

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When successful neurosurgeon John MacAndrews performs a routine operation to remove a tumor, the patient undergoes a severe personality change post-surgery. Hartman s Tumor is diagnosed, a rare condition which leaves its victims deranged and destined to be confined to mental institutions. There is no option but to have the patient committed.With his career nearing ruin, Ma ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Allison & Busby (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Past Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Lives

Mike
Bit disappointed. This started off fine and I thought we were going to have a look into some of the past lives, especially the most important one. A great beginning build up but the direction changed to something of a formulaic pursuit and action event. The ending was a shade too 'Boy's Own' for my taste. There is not question that Ken can write more than a little, after all I read to the end without effort (all right perhaps the last few dozen pages were pedestrian) when they should have erupte ...more
Grammar*Kitten
Mac is a brain surgeon who becomes unstuck after the most routine of operations to remove a tumour in a patient leads to an ‘accident’ breaking all the bones in his hands, when the patient wakes up a completely different person. Convalescing and fearing he may never operate again, Mac heads to Scotland to trace his roots. While there, he becomes caught up in a web of intrigue revolving around research about the kind of personality-changing tumour he has just removed, and a dangerous investigatio ...more
S.R.R. Colvin
I really liked this book.

I'm intrigued by the subject of past lives, having done some work for a research hypnotist/past life regression therapist. The title grabbed my attention straight up.

The characters are great, a gripping story line with plenty of intrigue, and that shower scene was perfect. Good girl, Simone!

McClure's writing is on par with the best thriller and mystery writers. I will certainly read more of his work.

(After I started reading this book a family member passed away and I co
Denise
3.5 out of 5 stars - What if someone found a substance that, when injected, would allow people to remember their past lives?

This wasn't really a medical thriller as much as it was a suspense adventure about a neurosurgeon on a mission to find out why one of his patients was a completely changed woman after he removed her brain tumor. His search leads him from a midwestern hospital (kind of interesting as I am actually familiar with the institution) in Kansas to Scotland to Paris and back again.
Adrienne Flis Vance
That was a fun and exciting book! I wasn't sure where the story was headed when I first started the book. Furthermore, I wasn't sure how it would all tie together in the end. Although it seemed like the book started off slow, I came to realize that it was continuing to build with its' twists and turns.

I would definitely recommend this book if you enjoy medical thrillers with a little DaVinci Code type action thrown into the mix!
Joo
This is the first Ken McClure book I have read. I have downloaded lots as they became free and medical thrillers is one of my favourite genres.

This was a great tale, plenty of science and plenty of action. It was very well written and kept me interested throughout. He even made you believe in the far fetched bits.
Blondebunbun
Suprisingly good book and may check out further Ken McClure books. The story starts off along two threads that intertwine eventually. This is followed by the heroe trying to save science from mad men. A couple of interesting concepts kept me reading along with the easy flowing language. Good Holiday book.
Richard
A cross between Michael Crichton and Dan Brown, thankfully not dependent on huge conspiracy theories like Brown depends on. Some good descriptive writing will make your fingers ache and your stomach turn at certain points.
Cathy
This book was just ok. I thought the first half was better than the second half. It had promise but it was if the author got bored with the story line.
Tim
Enjoyable page turner. The medical side added an interesting dimension. Would give 3 1/2 stars if available. Will read more of his books!
Lorna
my fisrt Ken McCLure book and I was not disappointed. A bit of a page turner and perfect for a good holiday read.
Molly
It was a good book. Intriguing. I am interested in reading more by him.
Karine Whitton
A brilliant story-teller and a suspense filled thriller!
Liane
As always, excellent :-)
John Martin
I guess this is a bit of a spoiler, so don't read on if you want to read this book.
On a positive note, this is a five-star story.
Now the negatives:
I found the writing a bit sloppy and predictable.
Maybe it was just me, but I found a character's name changing from John to George and then back to John a bit disconcerting. Where was Ringo and Paul?
Lots of stereotypes here too. MacGyver or the A team wouldn't have felt out of place. All we needed were black hats and white hats for the baddies and goo
Morrishey
Interesting subject, too many 'oh wasn't that convenient' moments.
Jim
Much "puffing" on the cover about the author's medical knowledge. This book was pretty good in the opening chapters which were mostly medical. Then we got on to the "action" part and everything took a nose-dive. Clunky sixth-form sort of writing. I skip read to the end. Not tempted to read any more of his stuff ...
Christianne
This is a bit Dan Brown ish. Neurosurgeon chasing round USA, Paris and GB hunting for truth getting into scrapes & falling in love.
I thought from the plot line at the Start of the book with past life regression through surgery it would be exciting and original. I felt that it turned into same old genre. A bit dull
Robin Edman
This book was so boring that I tried to use it to read myself to sleep, but I kept getting annoyed with it taking so long to get to the next obvious plot point that it left me wide, wide awake. I did finish it, though, so it didn't totally suck.
Paula Thompson
Read in one night!
Kazamate

Promising start becoming all rather formulaic from the halfway point. Didn't really care what happened by the end.
Jack
Imaginative medical thriller with a holy land connection
Bobbi Wolf
Bobbi Wolf marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Karla
Karla added it
May 10, 2015
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Diana Shanks
Diana Shanks marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Debra Allen
Debra Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Harvest
  • Grave Instinct
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • The Truant Officer
  • Teleport This
  • The White Angel Murder
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Final Price
  • Implant
  • Top Ten
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Night Corridor
  • Someone's Watching
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Here We Go
  • Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
  • Death Angel
Ken McClure is the internationally bestselling author of over twenty medical thrillers such as The Lazarus Strain, The Gulf Conspiracy, White Death and Dust to Dust. His books have been translated into twenty-five languages and he has earned a reputation for the accuracy of his predicitions. McClure's work is informed by his background as an award-winning research scientist with the UK's Medical R ...more
More about Ken McClure...
Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1) The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6) Trauma Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2) Pandora's Helix

“Sorry, I thought I saw a guilt trip looming up,’ said Clements. ‘I had a Catholic upbringing - spent a week in a monastery once. My mother – a devout woman all her days, God bless her – thought it would do me good to be exposed to truly good people who had denied themselves everything to follow God.’ Clements snorted and turned to look out of the car window.

‘I take it, it didn’t work?’

‘I don’t think there was a single one of them – apart from maybe a little Irishman, who had never known anything else - who wasn’t on some kind of guilt trip. They hadn’t given up anything at all: they were running away from things; hiding; the lot of them; and mainly from their real selves. Show me a monk and I’ll show you one screwed-up individual with a past.”
3 likes
“He broke away a little to murmur, ‘You’re sure about this?’

‘I need to feel alive, Mac,’ said Simone ‘I have to know it . . . I don’t need flowers . . . I don’t need dinner . . . I don’t need romance . . . I need fucked.’

The word had an electric effect on Macandrew, who despite now wanting Simone so badly, still had reservations about the situation – mainly the fear that he was taking advantage of it. He felt the last of them wash away as she uttered the word. He pinned her to the wall and freed himself before reaching under her skirt to push her panties to one side and enter her hard and long. He cupped his hands round her backside and pulled her on to him, matching the thrust of his hips and being exhorted to ever greater efforts by Simone’s moans in his ear. ‘Christ, I want you,’ he gasped.

‘Then have me . . .’

The all too brief outcome of such passion left Macandrew holding Simone to him and resting his forehead on the wall as his breathing subsided.

Simone broke the silence. ‘Tell me how you feel?’ she murmured.

‘After a moment’s thought, Macandrew said, ‘Embarrassed. Dare I ask about you?’

‘Fucked,’ replied Simone.

Macandrew smiled, feeling such a surge of relief when he saw that Simone was smiling too. She ran the tips of her fingers softly down his cheek. ‘Let’s go shower,’ she said.

Showering together was as gentle an experience as their love-making had been passionate. They took lingering pleasure in tracing the contours of each other with soap and sponge and found it deliciously sensual. ‘Do you know what I’m going to do now?’ murmured Simone.

‘Tell me,’ said Macandrew drowsily as he closed his eyes and put his head back on the shower wall.

Simone reached up and yanked the regulator over to COLD, causing Macandrew to let out a yelp of surprise. ‘Make an omelette,’ she said.”
2 likes