The Four Courts Murder

The Four Courts Murder (Denis Lennon & Molly Power #1)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Justice Sidney Piggott was, everyone in Dublin's law professions agreed, designer-made for being throttled. If ever there was a judge more disliked---make that hated---in the courts of Ireland's capital city, no one knew his (or her) name. So when it comes to finding out who is responsible for the judge's demise, the number of possible suspects makes the task more difficul...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

Anna
A neat new discovery for me of the (rare breed of) Irish procedurals and detectives.
Take a tiny part of the old-fashioned courtroom drama, a lot of modern procedurals, and blend in an interesting fabric of characters you get to know well, stir, and then blend in the seasoning - a lot of subtle humor and fantastic use of language, and with a lot of Irish Dublin things. Beautiful. 4,5 stars, so I never know if to round them up or down...
Clare O'Beara
The setting in Dublin is pleasant and the Four Courts building on the Liffey is, as described, made of solid stone and solid doors that would muffle sound while by day the place is busy with constant comings and goings. Good idea to stage a murder in this historic location.

I was less impressed with the rest of the story. The author's day job is being a monk; doubtless this is why he was so out of touch as to write in a young male character with long blonde hair and to suggest that a young man wo...more
Nancy Oakes
I've seen this called a "compelling" read and most people who have reviewed it are nearly ga-ga over this book. I was a bit underwhelmed, actually. If I see any of the rest of this author's books at a used bookstore, I would pick them up, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy one from my usual online sources. It's not that it was bad, but it seemed like the only person to take himself seriously in this entire novel was a twit chairman of the Bar Council. So when the police don't take them...more
LJ
THE FOUR COURTS MURDER (Police Procedural-Ireland-Cont) – VG
Nugent, Andrew – Standalone
Thomas Dunne Books, 2005, Hardcover
Inspector Denis Lennon and Sergeant Molly Power are investigating the murder of Justice Sidney Piggott. The case is complicated by number of suspects happy to see Piggott dead. But one stands out; a young, fair-haired man seen around the court at the time of the murder.
*** "…for the rest of the day, Front sat in court, silent and immobile, like a vampire in his coffin, awaiti...more
Claudia
This book is almost an antidote to recent books where all the characters are terrible people and there is no-one to sympathise with. Instead, most of the characters are human, with bad points and good points and are treated with respect by the author. This makes the book more enjoyable to read as does the style of the writing, in particular, in the passage leading up to the second murder.

The mystery is well written, being neither too obvious, nor a Christie-style rabbit out of a hat ending.

The o...more
Edward Monrad
We picked this book up in the hotel in Luzern. We selected it over the other trashy paperback that was there. It turned out to be a pretty good detective novel! Certainly not a thriller but a clever plot with a couple of good twists, some humour, and a good ending. Fast read!
Alice
I recently went to Dublin for a visit and so it was fun to see all the places in my mind's eye again. This was a very diverting read.
Kathy Rogers
Premise of this story was interesting, but I had a hard time pushing through to the end. I can't really figure out why.
Karen
Nice read, light mystery.
Mary G.
A good first effort.
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Julita
Julita added it
Jun 09, 2014
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Sunne Minnie
Sunne Minnie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Jan 25, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Ellen Keim
Ellen Keim marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Mary Choberka
Mary Choberka marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Soul Murder Second Burial for a Black Prince Second Burial The Slow-Release Miracle: A Spirituality for a Lifetime