Gretzky

Gretzky

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book about Gretzkys' first ten years in the NHL and how he broke tons of records. If you are wanting to learn more about Wayne Gretzky this autobiography is recommended reading! There's also plenty about the game of hockey, and the history of great players.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published by HarperCollins Publishers (first published November 1st 1991)

hamptonenglish10
Will Maguire
Period 8
Ms. Brooks
Non-Fiction Book Review
Gretzky was an amazing book that described Gretzky's hockey life from the time he was a little kid to his trade from Edmonton to Los Angelos. The books begins with describing Wayne's parents and saying that he started skating early than most kids. He started to skate when he was two years old. It said that his dad made a little rink that he would use during the winter to practice hockey. Gretzky made it on a hockey team at a young age also....more
Austin Hulsing
So far in this book Gretzky is talking about his start playing hockey when he was 6 years old Gretzky had a total of 328 points in one season. By the time Gretzky was 17 he was being signed by the NHL. Wayne Gretzky is concerted one of the best hockey players who has ever lived. Wayne was offered many deals from different hockey teams like one of the offers was a $250,000 signing bonus , plus $100,000 the first year, $150,000 in the next two years and $175,000 the fourth year. 11/07/12

Sense last...more
I can't tell you how many times I read this as a child (I had a bit of a crush). I remember getting in trouble for reading it in "free reading" period in 6th grade because I wasn't being "serious" -- I remember my friends standing up for me because, yes, I was serious! hah. Good times. Sorry, this review doesn't have much to do with the book. I actually don't remember it much except that I loved it then. I had other Gretzky books in my collection, but this was my favourite.
Sonny
Gretzky's had an amazing career, and he has to walk a fine line in his autobiography between modesty and rightfully displaying just how great he's been. He does it well, though. It's fun to read about all of his accolades and record-breaking games, but he's always quick to commend his teammates and heroes (mostly Gordie Howe).

The best parts are the behind the scenes details of the game itself. His account of his first Stanley Cup finals (and loss) are especially revealing. The drama behind his t...more
Amy
I never pictured myself reading a hockey book. Or a sports book, actually. I was curious because I had read about Gretzky's assists outweighing his goals and his pride in that. I wanted to learn more about a guy like that. Sadly, this book ends in the early 90s so I don't know what happened next because, see point #1, I don't follow sports. It was interesting and engaging though a friend said it best, "TL;DR: skinny kid with backyard rink and mullet makes good." One thing I would have like to re...more
Celticoracle
I read this once when it first came out, and ended up reading half of it in the store when I came across it again before I finally managed to make it to the till. The book was great to relive old Stanley Cup memories for this Oilers fan - especially getting the opportunity to see the player's point of view. Also has Gretzky's PoV on the Trade. Lots of great anecdotes and a few hockey tips for those who play.
Heather
Yeah, I kinda love this book.
Susan
I've always been a fan of Wayne Gretzky, but now even more so. Just an all-around interesting person and good guy. The book is very entertaining, and Gretzky is open and honest about his life--good and bad. Now I need to find an updated version to see how he changed his mind about coaching...
David A. Núñez
I read this book when it was first published. I could totally relate to the stories of growing up and playing sports. I was fortunate enough to have parents who did so much for me...not only in sports but in many things in life!
Amber
This was my favorite book in junior high. I thought it was so insightful and funny. I started re-reading it this weekend and laughed just as much -- mostly at the writing. It's terrible and awesome at the same time.
Jason
Apr 29, 2010 Jason marked it as to-read
man, i picked this up today to read but i had to put it down because i didn't have enough room. TALK ABOUT ALL TIME GREATEST REGRETZKYS!
Jason Saunders
I read this book along time ago, but Wayne as always is the perfect picture of class and integrity!
Yumna Hari
Fast quick read with Gretz coming across as well-adjusted and intensely focused on his game.
Rick
No modern athlete has a story more worthy of telling. Class from start to finish.
Louis Reiz
Mar 08, 2010 Louis Reiz is currently reading it
Love hockey and the book!
Joshua Sailo
Joshua Sailo marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kevin Madigan
Kevin Madigan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Sydney Stype
Sydney Stype marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
M.D.
M.D. marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Adam Young
Adam Young marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
99: My Life in Pictures Gretzky: From the Backyard Rink to the Stanley Rink Jean Beliveau, 2d Edition: My Life in Hockey I'd Trade Him Again: On Gretzky, Politics, and the Pursuit of the Perfect Deal The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes