Start by marking “Gretzky” as Want to Read:
Gretzky

Gretzky

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  370 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Playboy called Gretsky the greatest athlete of the Twentieth Century, and USA Today readers voted Gretzky the century's fourth greatest behind Muhammad Ali, Babe Ruth, and Jim Thorpe. Indeed, Gretzky in just ten years smashed the all-time National Hockey League scoring record that it had take the legendary Gordie Howe 26 seasons to set. This is an incredible autobiography ...more
Published January 1st 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Gretzky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gretzky

Alex Gregory
Sep 22, 2015 Alex Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as I'm concerned, this is the gold standard for sports biographies.

Wayne Gretzky's account of his early years playing for the Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings is riveting, page-turning material. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect going in, but the book combines lots of amusing and revealing anecdotes, play-by-play accounts of significant games in his career and behind-the-scenes shenanigans for a classy, engrossing portrait of his career.

There's a lot of great stuff in here. One ch
Christopher
The mid-career bio of Wayne Gretzky, widely regarded as the greatest ice hockey player of all time. I think this was published around 1990 or 1991, a couple of seasons after Gretzky moved from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings.

As this is a retrospective from a player who was still in his prime, it is not really an autobiography but rather an 'as told to' book, compiled and written by sportswriter Rick Reilly. Reilly keeps the writing focused on Gretzky's perspective, which is good, an
Kate
Jul 08, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Quick and enjoyable read.
3 surprising things I learned:

1. He did shockingly little to workout in the offseason. No running, hiking, or bench pressing. He did...brace yourself...aerobics with his wife!

2. He once peed his pants in a game two due to exhaustion/no control over his muscles.

3. He proposed over the phone.

He was very likable, unlike Theo Fleury in his book, and managed to be both humble AND interesting unlike Bobby Orr's book. (Sorry Bobby, you're still awesome)

I also thought his parent
hamptonenglish10
Jan 06, 2013 hamptonenglish10 rated it it was amazing
Will Maguire
Period 8
Ms. Brooks
Non-Fiction Book Review
Gretzky was an amazing book that described Gretzky's hockey life from the time he was a little kid to his trade from Edmonton to Los Angelos. The books begins with describing Wayne's parents and saying that he started skating early than most kids. He started to skate when he was two years old. It said that his dad made a little rink that he would use during the winter to practice hockey. Gretzky made it on a hockey team at a young age also.
Austin Hulsing
So far in this book Gretzky is talking about his start playing hockey when he was 6 years old Gretzky had a total of 328 points in one season. By the time Gretzky was 17 he was being signed by the NHL. Wayne Gretzky is concerted one of the best hockey players who has ever lived. Wayne was offered many deals from different hockey teams like one of the offers was a $250,000 signing bonus , plus $100,000 the first year, $150,000 in the next two years and $175,000 the fourth year. 11/07/12

Sense last
Sonny
Jan 08, 2011 Sonny rated it really liked it
Gretzky's had an amazing career, and he has to walk a fine line in his autobiography between modesty and rightfully displaying just how great he's been. He does it well, though. It's fun to read about all of his accolades and record-breaking games, but he's always quick to commend his teammates and heroes (mostly Gordie Howe).

The best parts are the behind the scenes details of the game itself. His account of his first Stanley Cup finals (and loss) are especially revealing. The drama behind his t
Amy
Jul 17, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I never pictured myself reading a hockey book. Or a sports book, actually. I was curious because I had read about Gretzky's assists outweighing his goals and his pride in that. I wanted to learn more about a guy like that. Sadly, this book ends in the early 90s so I don't know what happened next because, see point #1, I don't follow sports. It was interesting and engaging though a friend said it best, "TL;DR: skinny kid with backyard rink and mullet makes good." One thing I would have like to re ...more
Michael Bast
Apr 02, 2015 Michael Bast rated it really liked it
Super interesting book, I really liked it and would recommend it, but you can tell a brand was being maintained.
Laura (ローラ)
I can't tell you how many times I read this as a child (I had a bit of a crush). I remember getting in trouble for reading it in "free reading" period in 6th grade because I wasn't being "serious" -- I remember my friends standing up for me because, yes, I was serious! hah. Good times. Sorry, this review doesn't have much to do with the book. I actually don't remember it much except that I loved it then. I had other Gretzky books in my collection, but this was my favourite.
Celticoracle
I read this once when it first came out, and ended up reading half of it in the store when I came across it again before I finally managed to make it to the till. The book was great to relive old Stanley Cup memories for this Oilers fan - especially getting the opportunity to see the player's point of view. Also has Gretzky's PoV on the Trade. Lots of great anecdotes and a few hockey tips for those who play.
Chuck
Nov 25, 2015 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Great One" isn't that great of a writer nor storyteller.
Heather
Jan 15, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Yeah, I kinda love this book.
Susan
Apr 27, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I've always been a fan of Wayne Gretzky, but now even more so. Just an all-around interesting person and good guy. The book is very entertaining, and Gretzky is open and honest about his life--good and bad. Now I need to find an updated version to see how he changed his mind about coaching...
David Nunez
Jan 03, 2013 David Nunez rated it liked it
I read this book when it was first published. I could totally relate to the stories of growing up and playing sports. I was fortunate enough to have parents who did so much for me...not only in sports but in many things in life!
Amber
May 05, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book in junior high. I thought it was so insightful and funny. I started re-reading it this weekend and laughed just as much -- mostly at the writing. It's terrible and awesome at the same time.
Jason
Apr 29, 2010 Jason marked it as to-read
man, i picked this up today to read but i had to put it down because i didn't have enough room. TALK ABOUT ALL TIME GREATEST REGRETZKYS!
Jason Saunders
Feb 20, 2013 Jason Saunders rated it really liked it
I read this book along time ago, but Wayne as always is the perfect picture of class and integrity!
Yumna Hari
Jun 30, 2013 Yumna Hari rated it liked it
Fast quick read with Gretz coming across as well-adjusted and intensely focused on his game.
Rick
Dec 14, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No modern athlete has a story more worthy of telling. Class from start to finish.
Louis Reiz
Mar 08, 2010 Louis Reiz is currently reading it
Love hockey and the book!
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Matt Kamm
Matt Kamm rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Holly Lee
Holly Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Jason Cseh
Jason Cseh rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Petar
Petar rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Wade Long
Wade Long rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
  • The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • The Game
  • Patrick Roy: Winning, Nothing Else
  • The Great Leap-Fraud: Social Economics of Religious Terrorism, Volume 1, Judaism and Christianity
  • Touch The Dragon: A Thai Journal