Start by marking “First Son: The Biography of Richard M. Daley” as Want to Read:
First Son: The Biography of Richard M. Daley

First Son: The Biography of Richard M. Daley

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"Mayor Richard M. Daley dropped the bomb at a routine news conference at City Hall on Tuesday. With no prelude or fanfare, Mr. Daley announced that he would not seek re-election when his term expires next year. 'Simply put, it's time, ' he said." "New York Times, September 7, 2010"

With those four words, an era ended. After twenty-two years, the longest-serving and most pow
Unknown Binding, 412 pages
Published April 24th 2013 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about First Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Son

Renee Harrison
I think this was a beautifully written biography of the mayor. While not completely unbiased I think the author did a good job highlighting the mayor's successes and missteps. As a resident of Chicago I can say that Richard M. Daley really transformed the city into a global city. Richard Daley was the only mayor I had ever known and the city feels differently without him and his wife. I really enjoyed reading about his life and passion for the city of Chicago
Susan
Horribly written but interesting biography of the second Chicago mayor named Richard Daley who transformed the appearance but not the workings of the Windy City.
Joan
I enjoyed reading this biography of Daley. Since I live in Chicago, I found it "right on." On a personal level, I know many of the individuals who played a role in his administration and were part of his decision making process.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Daley and Chicago history. The chapter on Millenium Park was great.
Dan Trubman
Definitely from the neo-liberal perspective. Didn't ignore the corruption issues, but minimized their impact in relations the what the author considered the successes.
Hayley
Hayley added it
Apr 24, 2015
Nicole Weber
Nicole Weber marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 29, 2014
John Scully
John Scully marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Kenzie Rike
Kenzie Rike marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
  • The Coach House
  • The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
  • Busted: Life Inside the Great Mortgage Meltdown
6520709
Keith Koeneman writes about Chicago history, politics, and culture. His book on the recently retired mayor of Chicago, First Son: The Biography of Richard M. Daley, will be published by the University of Chicago Press in Spring of 2013. He also teaches and speaks as an expert on Chicago mayoral politics on television and radio. He holds advanced degrees from Harvard, University of Chicago and Nort ...more
More about Keith Koeneman...