Junior Miss

Junior Miss

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Judy Graves is the girl everyone knows. She's the kid next door who wears a sloppy sweater, two charm bracelets and a locket with pictures. Judy is one of the crowd giggling and laughing in the corner of the drugstore. But she's also the child who becomes a young lady the day she puts on her first formal gown. Judy is every teenage girl. She personifies the realities and f...more
Hardcover
Published 2007 (first published 1941)

Margaret
I bought this book from an old man who had a pile of them for sale at an Altadena farmer's market / junk bonanza. He gave me a very serious look and said, "They don't make 'em like this anymore."

My version of "Junior Miss," which looks different than the one here, is a beautiful gem from 1942. The cover is a washed out teal blue that Ralph Lauren should rip off for his paint line, and the front inside flap actually has this to say about the book: "as appealing a little job as can be found betwee...more
Josephine
Very much a Christmassy sort of book: the Graves family lives in Manhattan, and the protagonist, Judy Graves, is twelve, right at the cusp between childhood and adolescence. Her older sister, Lois, is everything that Judy is not yet: tall, slender, graceful, socially poised (or at least as much as any fifteen year old is).

Events range from picking out a new coat, with a much desired squirrel collar, getting an official allowance and going out to a party in her first formal.

The chapters in the bo...more
Debbie
These were short stories in the New Yorker in 1940/41. Judy Graves is twelve, the age we are all at our most gawky, clumsy and self conscious (thank goodness). Not yet a teen, but no longer a child interested in dolls, etc. When so many things are SO IMPORTANT. Benson captures this all perfectly. I especially was amused by Judy going to see Shirley Temple in a movie and then acting out the young star"s behaviors, tossing her (non existent) curls and skipping.
Bob
Junior Miss was a favorite movie from my youth. The book is a compilation of short stories set in Manhattan and published in the New Yorker Magazine in pre-WWII. I'm sure the movie connection added to the enjoyment of this read, but it was very amusing anyway. And as a parent of two daughters, I could certainly relate to the father character.
Barb
This book came from my deceased aunt's collection and I do not believe I would have been exposed to it otherwise. It may have been in her collection due to the fictional family having the same surname as our family - nevertheless, the story is charming. Although written decades ago this story is timeless.
Patricia Burroughs
I loved this when I was a girl and read it several times. I recently bought a copy with this cover (old library copy) and tucked it onto the shelf with great affection. I haven't reread it so have no idea if it holds up to closer scrutiny.
Jane
I received this book when I was ten and loved it. I have since reread it several times. This book is quite charming and timeless. I hold it dear to me, almost like a security blanket. Lovely read.
Bayneeta
Pre-teen Judy stars in this stories that originally appeared in The New Yorker magazine in the late thirties and early forties.
Amy
A pleasant, enjoyable read.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Feb 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 23, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Mama
Mama is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2013
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Bosa Mora
Bosa Mora marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Meet Me in St. Louis Stories Of The Gods And Heroes People Are Fascinating Women & Children First Making Money With Your Kids!