Start by marking “Junior Miss” as Want to Read:
Junior Miss

Junior Miss

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Judy Graves is the girl everyone knows. She's the kid next door who wears a sloppy sweater, two charm bracelets and a locket with pictures. Judy is one of the crowd giggling and laughing in the corner of the drugstore. But she's also the child who becomes a young lady the day she puts on her first formal gown. Judy is every teenage girl. She personifies the realities and f ...more
Hardcover
Published 2007 (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Junior Miss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junior Miss

Margaret
Oct 20, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it
I bought this book from an old man who had a pile of them for sale at an Altadena farmer's market / junk bonanza. He gave me a very serious look and said, "They don't make 'em like this anymore."

My version of "Junior Miss," which looks different than the one here, is a beautiful gem from 1942. The cover is a washed out teal blue that Ralph Lauren should rip off for his paint line, and the front inside flap actually has this to say about the book: "as appealing a little job as can be found betwee
Megan
Jun 15, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Did you know this book was the namesake of Junior Mints? I love Junior Mints! This book is a series of snapshots showing what it means to be a girl moving from the world of childhood to adulthood. It is well written and was apparently quite a hit in its days spawning a stage show, a radio series, a movie and of course a candy.
Laura Hughes
Dec 29, 2014 Laura Hughes rated it really liked it
A series of short vignettes centering around a twelve-year-old girl growing up in an affluent New York City family in the late 1930s. Gently funny, gently emotional, and very specific in their capturing of moments in time, particularly that in-between age. I'm more familiar with the movie, which has a plot cut from whole cloth--actually, almost everything in the movie is not in the book, and vice versa. But the movie still somehow captures the feeling of the book very well.
Josephine
Dec 24, 2012 Josephine rated it liked it
Very much a Christmassy sort of book: the Graves family lives in Manhattan, and the protagonist, Judy Graves, is twelve, right at the cusp between childhood and adolescence. Her older sister, Lois, is everything that Judy is not yet: tall, slender, graceful, socially poised (or at least as much as any fifteen year old is).

Events range from picking out a new coat, with a much desired squirrel collar, getting an official allowance and going out to a party in her first formal.

The chapters in the bo
Stephanie A.
Nov 17, 2014 Stephanie A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage, sisters, own-it
An utterly darling and charming portrait of an upper class New York family in the late 1930s, as told through a series of short stories about the baby of the family, 12-year-old Judy. The details about the clothing and Christmas presents, in particular, were exquisite.
Debbie
Jun 25, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
These were short stories in the New Yorker in 1940/41. Judy Graves is twelve, the age we are all at our most gawky, clumsy and self conscious (thank goodness). Not yet a teen, but no longer a child interested in dolls, etc. When so many things are SO IMPORTANT. Benson captures this all perfectly. I especially was amused by Judy going to see Shirley Temple in a movie and then acting out the young star"s behaviors, tossing her (non existent) curls and skipping.
Bob
Dec 08, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing
Junior Miss was a favorite movie from my youth. The book is a compilation of short stories set in Manhattan and published in the New Yorker Magazine in pre-WWII. I'm sure the movie connection added to the enjoyment of this read, but it was very amusing anyway. And as a parent of two daughters, I could certainly relate to the father character.
Barb
Jan 19, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it
This book came from my deceased aunt's collection and I do not believe I would have been exposed to it otherwise. It may have been in her collection due to the fictional family having the same surname as our family - nevertheless, the story is charming. Although written decades ago this story is timeless.
Patricia Burroughs
Jul 28, 2011 Patricia Burroughs rated it it was amazing
I loved this when I was a girl and read it several times. I recently bought a copy with this cover (old library copy) and tucked it onto the shelf with great affection. I haven't reread it so have no idea if it holds up to closer scrutiny.
River
Sep 05, 2011 River rated it really liked it
I received this book when I was ten and loved it. I have since reread it several times. This book is quite charming and timeless. I hold it dear to me, almost like a security blanket. Lovely read.
Bayneeta
Jul 07, 2012 Bayneeta rated it liked it
Pre-teen Judy stars in this stories that originally appeared in The New Yorker magazine in the late thirties and early forties.
Amy
Jul 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
A pleasant, enjoyable read.
SuzPepper 2.0
SuzPepper 2.0 marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Light
Light added it
Aug 11, 2015
Tory Young
Tory Young marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Annette Cass
Annette Cass marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Sandy De jesus
Sandy De jesus rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Gale
Gale marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Liz Statz
Liz Statz rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Sunny
Sunny rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014