Start by marking “Wildflower Girl (Children Of the Famine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wildflower Girl (Children Of the Famine, #2)

Wildflower Girl (Children of the Famine #2)

Wildflower Girl is the second book in the Children of the Famine trilogy. At seven, Peggy made a dangerous journey through Ireland during the Great Famine. Now thirteen, she goes on another challenging journey, across the Atlantic to America.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1995 by The O'Brien Press (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Wildflower Girl, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Aine Mccarthy
Oct 29, 2011 Aine Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
‘Wildflower Girl’, by Marita Conlon McKenna is the much-loved sequel to ‘Under the Hawthorn Tree’. It is set in post-famine Ireland; a time of hardships, emigration and uncertainty. The book begins with Peggy, the central character, receiving news that her and her siblings have been offered a free passage to America. Peggy is thrilled, she dreams about the New World where she will make her fortune, but her sister Eily does not share her excitement. Eily is anxious about what will become of the f ...more
Trisha Harrington
I adored this series, and this book was another beautiful one. A lot can be said about these. But I will leave it short and sweet. These books stayed with me through my childhood and beyond.

Highly recommend this!
Sallyavena
A good quick read, but never really felt attached to the main character. I don't know if the book just moved too fast or the character wasn't really developed, but I never felt like I knew her.
Heather
Dec 15, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Set seven years after "Under the Hawthorn Tree", this books follows the journey of young Penny as she leaves Ireland and travels to America in search of a better life. Throughout the book, Penny faces many hardships including seasickness, loneliness, homesickness and abuse from horrible employers.

Despite Penny being my least favourite character in the first book, her determination and strength of character quickly won me over and I admired her courage, compassion and determination.

Once again, a
mary
Oct 11, 2016 mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It fills my heart with so much sadness just to think about the famine, and people leaving their homes. But what angers me the most I'd that unless you were born in Ireland or went to primary school there you probably won't know about the Irish potatoe famine. It makes me think of all the tragedy in the world we can never know about unless it directly connects us, unless we are the ones suffering from in and that feels so very very wrong. I've moved to England and no one knows a ...more
Kellyn
Thirteen-year old Peggy, her sister Eily and brother Michael barely survived the Great Famine in Ireland in the 1840s. They stumbled into the village where their two great aunts lived starving and sick, but alive. It is now about six years later and there is little business for their bread shop and only occasional work for Michael and Eily. The three siblings reluctantly agreed to immigrate to America; businesses in Ireland offered to pay passage to those who wanted to go. Eily and Michael chang ...more
Edel
Jun 11, 2013 Edel rated it it was amazing
Annette
Apr 02, 2015 Annette rated it liked it
Elizabeth
Dec 21, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
In this book (the 2nd in a trilogy) Eily, Michael, and Peggy are older and making choices for their futures. This book follows Peggy as she takes passage to America. It describes her harrowing and challenging journey as well as all the culture shock and abuse that she encounters when she reaches Boston. The story was riveting.
Homeschoolmama
Sep 25, 2014 Homeschoolmama rated it it was amazing
The second in The Children of the Famine series, this book was just as gripping as the first, Under the Hawthorne Tree
If I were twelve years old, I think this would be one of my favorite series.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 173 pgs

1840s Castletaggart, Ireland/Boston, MA. 13 year old Peggy O'Driscoll leaves her brother Michael and sister Eily behind to start a new life for herself in America.

Great story.
Linda
Oct 30, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
I read this as it was part of a trilogy Sarah had been reading. She was studying the Irish Famine in school. A beautifully written trilogy - so glad to have read it!
Paulette
Sep 12, 2014 Paulette rated it really liked it
Set just after the worst of the Irish famine in the 1800's when Irish men, women and children left for Canada and the US in droves. Part of Conlon-McKenna trilogy.
Maeve
Jun 25, 2011 Maeve rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Very interesting and Marita Conlon McKenna gives a perfect view of what that time was like.
Niámh
Mar 19, 2013 Niámh rated it it was amazing
i love these books.READ THEM.

Its hard to imagine that the place you live in was so harsh many years ago.
Jenny
Mar 09, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I loved this book. You really feel for Peggy and fall into her story. She is an amazing character. Pitty it ends so abruptly.
Leslie
Mar 05, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
Quick read. Looking forward to reading the others in the trilogy. This would be a worthwhile read aloud.
Hayesha Balogun
Aug 12, 2012 Hayesha Balogun rated it liked it
it had a nice beginning but a bad end just like tiger eyes. the main character thrilled me, very brave and strong young girl. i liked the book
Nuala Livingstone
This was one of my favourite books when I was younger. I was feeling nostalgic, so I downloaded it to my kindle, for a trip down memory lane. I still love it!
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
Ailish Lalor
Ailish Lalor rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Aislinn Mcaloon
Aislinn Mcaloon rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014
Caolán
Caolán rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Katie Garrett
Katie Garrett rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Katie Blossom
Katie Blossom rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Linda S
Linda S rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Niamh Curran
Niamh Curran rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
  • Gratefully Yours
  • The Boy and the Samurai
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Journey Home
  • Anna Is Still Here
  • Gib and the Gray Ghost (Gib, #2)
  • Chain of Fire
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • My Name Is Sangoel
  • Pop's Bridge
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Run With the Wind (Run Wild #1)
  • Thunder Rolling in the Mountains
  • A House of Tailors
  • Balto and the Great Race
  • The Wild Children
  • Farewell to the Island
  • The Avion My Uncle Flew
Born in Dublin in 1956 and brought up in Goatstown, Marita went to school at the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Mount Anville, later working in the family business, the bank, and a travel agency. She has four children with her husband James, and they live in the Stillorgan area of Dublin.
Marita was always fascinated by the Famine period in Irish history and read everything available on the subject.
More about Marita Conlon-McKenna...

Children of the Famine (3 books)
  • Under the Hawthorn Tree (Children of the Famine #1)
  • Fields of Home (Children of the Famine)