Start by marking “Radical Judaism: Rethinking God and Tradition” as Want to Read:
Radical Judaism: Rethinking God and Tradition

Radical Judaism: Rethinking God and Tradition

How do we articulate a religious vision that embraces evolution and human authorship of Scripture? Drawing on the Jewish mystical traditions of Kabbalah and Hasidism, path-breaking Jewish scholar Arthur Green argues that a neomystical perspective can help us to reframe these realities, so they may yet be viewed as dwelling places of the sacred. In doing so, he rethinks suc ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Yale University Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Radical Judaism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Judaism

Andy Oram
Oct 15, 2010 Andy Oram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Radical Judaism creatively combines many of the trends in modern
Judaism--with Art Green's unique way of rendering issues and debates
as urgent calls to action--to bring us closer to solving many of the
problems that bother religious and other thoughtful people: how to
reclaim religious passion from its misdirection into divisiveness and
atrophy, how to make our colleagues wake up and take action on the
disasters facing humanity and the rest of the world today, how to
respect our heritage while fully a
Abby Stein
Nov 30, 2016 Abby Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"That One is Being itself, the constant in the endlessly changing evolutionary parade."
"Nuclear physicists and cosmologists have become the new Kabbalists of our age, speculating in ever more refined ways on the first few seconds of existence much as our mystical sages meditated on the highest triad of the ten divine emanations."
Jonathan
May 25, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clarion call for all of us - Jew and non-Jew - to embrace existence as a reflection of God as the One Becoming in all things. When we do that we must work together to prevent the destruction of our world at our own hands.
Jon-Erik
Very well written. But can someone write a book like this minus the mysticism?
Randi
Jan 15, 2017 Randi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to comprehend. I read this as part of a class. Without the teacher and my fellow students, I'm not sure I would have "gotten" it. With them, it made for an interesting struggle.
Aric
Aric rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2017
Koba Kay
Koba Kay rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2017
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
May 06, 2011
T Fool
T Fool rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Matthew Tannin
Matthew Tannin rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Nicholas Kloski
Nicholas Kloski rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Susan Richards
Susan Richards rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Eve Rowell
Eve Rowell rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Arye
Arye rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Daniel Roberts
Daniel Roberts rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Vicki Ziva Frappollo
Vicki Ziva Frappollo rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Jane Susswein
Jane Susswein rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2010
Ekaterina
Ekaterina rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Jeremy Fierstien
Jeremy Fierstien rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Marisa James
Marisa James rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

“That One is Being itself, the constant in the endlessly changing evolutionary parade."
"How would such a reframed tale read? It would be a narrative of the great reaching out by the inner One that inhabits each of us and binds us all together, a constant stretching forth of Y-H-W-H ("Being") in the endless adventure of becoming HWYH (Hebrew for ''being'' or "existence"), or of the One garbing itself in the multicolored garment of diversity and multiplicity."
"I do not view humans - surely not as we are now - as the end purpose of evolution. We, like all other species, are a step along the way. If existence survives on this planet, Mind will one day be manifest to a degree far beyond our present ability to comprehend or predict. On that day, says Scripture, "Earth will be filled with knowledge of Y-H-W-H as water fills the sea" (Isaiah 11:9) - just that wholly and naturally.”
0 likes